News Sweet Spells to close for Toy Story store?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Awful decisions are one thing, but this one boggles the mind. These show kitchen locations print money, which is why there are so many of them. There is hardly a scarcity of Toy Story merch, the location here is absurd, and there were other options. Maybe they'll send the bakery items and sweets to Starbucks or something. Between Writer's Stop, Starring Rolls, and now this, there's a war on sugar!
I agree this is a very odd choice.

I expect this to be something like what happened with Main Street Bakery. You will see a few of the items sold at quick service locations around the park, and the pre-packacged stuff will remain. But the majority of it will not be seen again.

tissandtully

I agree this is a very odd choice.

I expect this to be something like what happened with Main Street Bakery. You will see a few of the items sold at quick service locations around the park, and the pre-packacged stuff will remain. But the majority of it will not be seen again.
I don't understand the location here either? So odd. Seems like there are bigger plans for that intersection all the way down to ToT.

Captain Barbossa

It would make some amount of sense to put it in TSL, but if it's gonna have merchandise from other Pixar movies, I can see why they don't want it in TSL. If Pixar Place was still going to be around, that would be the perfect spot. Either way, I'm not really upset about the closing because I hardly ever go in Sweet Spells when I'm at DHS. In terms of the carrot cake cookies, I think you can get them at the Trolley Car Cafe.

Last edited:

mickey2008.1

Going to miss sitting there by the big window watching them make all those goodies, and the great neon lights, it really gave it that Hollywood feel. Let’s hope they don’t cheese it up

Kman101

Of course it's still sitting empty ...

It's baffling (though it's not when you know how they operate) how anything could be closed in one of four of the most attended theme parks.

fngoofy

It would make some amount of sense to put it in TSL, but if it's gonna have merchandise from other Pixar movies, I can see why they don't want it in TSL. If Pixar Place was still going to be around, that would be the perfect spot. Either way, I'm not really upset about the closer because I hardly ever go in Sweet Spells when I'm at DHS. In terms of the carrot cake cookies, I think you can get them at the Trolley Car Cafe.
Agreed. I always thought Sweet Spells was a waste of space. There is no shortage of sugar purchasing opportunities in any of the parks.

Kman101

If it's meant to be the 'Pixar flavor of the month' type of shop, sure I guess that makes sense, I was more going off of the impression it would be Toy Story from here on out so it was just bizarre there's no dedicated gift shop in the new land (couldn't Mania have exited into a new shop built on the corner ...), but again, if it's just the flavor of the month, OK, I guess. I'm sure the other store usually devoted to the flavor of the month is still full of Star Wars stuff.

Kman101

Awful decisions are one thing, but this one boggles the mind. These show kitchen locations print money, which is why there are so many of them. There is hardly a scarcity of Toy Story merch, the location here is absurd, and there were other options. Maybe they'll send the bakery items and sweets to Starbucks or something. Between Writer's Stop, Starring Rolls, and now this, there's a war on sugar!

Guess they want to shove all the business towards Starbucks. I miss Starring Rolls. And the Writers Stop (though the bar seems popular, of course). I personally rarely went into Sweet Spells, lol, but it deserves it's place. It had a purpose.

I'm surprised Starring Rolls isn't becoming another gastropub/hipster bar

grim-grinning_toast

Aw, I always loved stopping here - for the air conditioning and the sweet, sweet smell of sugar. We rarely bought anything but cotton candy, which I know you can get virtually anywhere, but I will miss you, Sweet Spells!!

MrPromey

I don't understand why they don't put something closer to the actual land.

Because new construction would cost a lot more money than gutting and renovating an existing location.

My guess is that while this place was packed and loved by many, somebody ran the numbers and determined that the money it brought in, minus the operation costs, was less than they could make with a gift shop selling non-perishables and staffed with fewer cast.

There was a time when TDO used to treat some of the retail space like an attraction/draw but that time has long past. I mean, look at Main Street. There used to be the penny arcade and the magic shop and the movie theater - back when it was more like the Disneyland one still is.

Now, I think every square foot probably has to justify itself in profit or risk being replaced as soon as they get around to pulling the trigger. Isn't that how we ended up with a sunglass hut in Adventureland?

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because new construction would cost a lot more money than gutting and renovating an existing location.

My guess is that while this place was packed and loved by many, somebody ran the numbers and determined that the money it brought in, minus the operation costs, was less than they could make with a gift shop selling non-perishables and staffed with fewer cast.

There was a time when TDO used to treat some of the retail space like an attraction/draw but that time has long past. I mean, look at Main Street. There used to be the penny arcade and the magic shop and the movie theater - back when it was more like the Disneyland one still is.

Now, I think every square foot probably has to justify itself in profit or risk being replaced as soon as they get around to pulling the trigger. Isn't that how we ended up with a sunglass hut in Adventureland?

Profit per square foot is the only metric that matters at the Bob Iger Company these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom