News Sweet Spells to close for Toy Story store?

Rteetz

You mean the outside one featuring princess stuff or the one behind in the corner back by the exit to the OMD/preview theater?

I'd say they don't want to replace the princess one for obvious reasons and as for the other one, I don't think the location would be considered high profile enough for a unique grouping of merchandise around this kind of theme.

For what it's worth, it's been said that this is a PIXAR shop and not necessarily just a Toy Story shop so in their minds, it probably doesn't matter where it goes in the park, as long as they think it'll make more money than what they had there before.
I just feel there are better locations they could have used.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Welcome to RetailLand. No rides, shows, candy shops. Nope. We sell mountains of movie merchandise because we want you to buy buy buy!
:arghh:

Funny, MDE still shows there are rides and shows. In fact, more rides are coming. And in fact, with the closing of the retail space in Pixar Lane, even less retail space than before.

So, what the heck are you crying about?

J2theGo

Why didn’t they just plan for merchandise locations within Toy Story land? Toy Story Land sounds like a whole lot of hype over a cheap rollercoaster and bumper cars. I’m expecting nothing more that a Chester and Hester’s Dinoland with a Toy Story overlay. I feel like they have done this several times already. Im hoping that this will give us the opportunity to check out Pandora finally. And the Frozen ride.

ToTBellHop

Why didn’t they just plan for merchandise locations within Toy Story land? Toy Story Land sounds like a whole lot of hype over a cheap rollercoaster and bumper cars. I’m expecting nothing more that a Chester and Hester’s Dinoland with a Toy Story overlay. I feel like they have done this several times already. Im hoping that this will give us the opportunity to check out Pandora finally. And the Frozen ride.
Why haven’t you had the opportunity to check those out?

Club Cooloholic

Just using this as a way to do a little rant, but I don't know if Toy Story is going to translate well as a "land". I actually don't see much interest in kids in buying Toy Story Toys especially since the movies started 2 decades ago,, they aren't exactly "fun" movies as rather films to prey on your emotional attachments to childhood and material things. It worked as one ride and really anything could have been themed around that, it was the tech that made that ride so popular. I don't ever find myself saying, gee I really could watch that Toy Story again, just my opinion.

nicb88

Given they will be blocking off the way into Pixar Place anyway, they could have done that by constructing a store across PP. It would then have opened out onto the new backstage area for deliveries/cast member access. They could have then used the Pixar sign as part of the store front to pay homage to the sign in Emeryville and it would have been right next to TSL. I know it would've been more costly than what they're doing, but it made more sense in my head from a guest perspective.

matt9112

sums it up perfectly!!. the park is being turned into a walmart but then one could argue all the parks are in general to a degree, except maybe AK.
well if you asked bob the entire purpose of a park is to sell merch both inside and when you go back home....its like a giant hot advertisement.

Kman101

Just using this as a way to do a little rant, but I don't know if Toy Story is going to translate well as a "land". I actually don't see much interest in kids in buying Toy Story Toys especially since the movies started 2 decades ago,, they aren't exactly "fun" movies as rather films to prey on your emotional attachments to childhood and material things. It worked as one ride and really anything could have been themed around that, it was the tech that made that ride so popular. I don't ever find myself saying, gee I really could watch that Toy Story again, just my opinion.

Toy Story resonates with a lot of people. I think you're underestimating Toy Story's appeal. No, the land isn't amazing and I never once sat at home and though I'd love to visit Andy's backyard, but for many it's going to be quite appealing and fun. I know we think what we don't like the majority doesn't like but we're usually in the minority on these things. Toy Story's lasted for over 20 years for a reason.

Do I think it "translates well"? Not particularly. But it will be a popular land.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Toy Story resonates with a lot of people. I think you're underestimating Toy Story's appeal. No, the land isn't amazing and I never once sat at home and though I'd love to visit Andy's backyard, but for many it's going to be quite appealing and fun. I know we think what we don't like the majority doesn't like but we're usually in the minority on these things. Toy Story's lasted for over 20 years for a reason.

Do I think it "translates well"? Not particularly. But it will be a popular land.
Yes I think it will be popular as well

Kman101

And I'm not really defending the land, per say, just pointing out the reality. But I'm good with the two rides. Shame they'll be viewed as 'headliners' though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom