Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X

PUSH

An interesting first episode. I was disappointed we didn't get to see behind-the-scenes stuff of them being evacuated. I felt like they could have played that up a lot more like they did the Caleb med-evac last season.

As for the tribes, I think the millennial tribe has interesting dynamics. Figgy and Mari are my favorites from that tribe so far. The Gen X tribe seems to be much more old-school Survivor. A mass majority ganging up on a few. Nobody struck me as particularly intriguing.

I think Mari and Hannah are going to end up running the game. I think the Figgy, Taylor, Jay and Michelle group could be in trouble, but I don't necessarily think they'll be going home. They could be saved by a tribe swap.

Rachel was annoying, and I knew from her cast assessment and pre-show videos that she wasn't going to go very far.

As for the previews, it looks to be an interesting episode. Figgy and Taylor look to be even more flirtatious, which is either a terrible thing, or a veyr beneficial thing for the smarter of the two. And the medical situation being a possible heart attack - that could be scary. David said it could help his game. Also, David I think will be the underdog story of the season. Or he'll quickly follow Rachel. One of the two.

New winner pick: Mari.

21stamps

An interesting first episode. I was disappointed we didn't get to see behind-the-scenes stuff of them being evacuated. I felt like they could have played that up a lot more like they did the Caleb med-evac last season.

As for the tribes, I think the millennial tribe has interesting dynamics. Figgy and Mari are my favorites from that tribe so far. The Gen X tribe seems to be much more old-school Survivor. A mass majority ganging up on a few. Nobody struck me as particularly intriguing.

I think Mari and Hannah are going to end up running the game. I think the Figgy, Taylor, Jay and Michelle group could be in trouble, but I don't necessarily think they'll be going home. They could be saved by a tribe swap.

Rachel was annoying, and I knew from her cast assessment and pre-show videos that she wasn't going to go very far.

As for the previews, it looks to be an interesting episode. Figgy and Taylor look to be even more flirtatious, which is either a terrible thing, or a veyr beneficial thing for the smarter of the two. And the medical situation being a possible heart attack - that could be scary. David said it could help his game. Also, David I think will be the underdog story of the season. Or he'll quickly follow Rachel. One of the two.

New winner pick: Mari.

I hope David doesn't leave anytime soon. I think he could be interesting.

I also think the Figgy troop could be in trouble. They are putting a huge target on their back..but that's happened before and somehow the tribe makes the wrong choice at Tribal resulting in a few becoming a majority..stupid, but always seems to happen.

What was glaringly obvious in the challenge, and I'm sure this was done for TV purposes to differentiate the tribes/generations even more.. But why is Gen X all Dad bods and non fit people?! The Millennials are pretty much all in decent shape, and Gen X is overweight..except for one nerdy skinny non muscular guy, and one ditzy girl who is now deservedly gone. Couldn't they put at least 2 fit people on the tribe? Fail by the producers in my opinion.

NYwdwfan

First off - can we all agree if you haven't seen the show DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD? We shouldn't need to have an entire thread of spoiler buttons to click on. Anything truly a spoiler for the future of the season - yes stick in a spoiler. Anything related to what already aired - no need. Yes?

NYwdwfan

And regarding last night...

I was really annoyed they didn't show the evac location. Even just a quick video with a Probst voiceover saying the castaways were brought here for XX hours until the storm passed and they were not given food/water/comfort or whatever. First impression of the castaways was I wanted to pummel more than a few. Most of the millennial tribe and GenX Rachel, basically. I really only like the fire starter on the millennials. I found it completely obnoxious for Figgy (and others) to refer to themselves as good looking. A surefire way to take your looks down a few notches is to tout them yourself. The eye infection thing was completely gross. Not quite ear-worm gross, but close. And I would like to thank the producers for picking my new Survivor crush Ken for the Gen-X tribe.

NYwdwfan

The Millennials are pretty much all in decent shape, and Gen X is overweight..except for one nerdy skinny non muscular guy, and one ditzy girl who is now deservedly gone. Couldn't they put at least 2 fit people on the tribe? Fail by the producers in my opinion.

One word: Ken (6th from the right top row)

survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-cast-photo-promo_copy.jpg

Aside from that - yes I agree. I give these current tribes 4 weeks tops before they drop their buffs.

21stamps

One word: Ken (6th from the right top row)

survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-cast-photo-promo_copy.jpg

Aside from that - yes I agree. I give these current tribes 4 weeks tops before they drop their buffs.
You're right, underwear guy! I forgot about him. He didn't get much air time, and didn't really stick out to me...besides his tight blue boxer briefs.

Here's what I still don't understand after all of these seasons..

Why don't the women pack a sports bra, and why don't the men pack compression shorts?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

NYwdwfan

You're right, underwear guy! I forgot about him. He didn't get much air time, and didn't really stick out to me...besides his tight blue boxer briefs.

Why don't the women pack a sports bra, and why don't the men pack compression shorts?

I always wonder why - after 33 seasons - nobody shows up in a waterproof hooded windbreaker and waterproof jogging pants. No moisture wicking t-shirts? How is a loose fitting sweater and a tank top going to hold up for 39 days?? The second chance season they surprised the cast that they left straight from the reunion show so in that case I understand why they were ill-prepared.

PUSH

I always wonder why - after 33 seasons - nobody shows up in a waterproof hooded windbreaker and waterproof jogging pants. No moisture wicking t-shirts? How is a loose fitting sweater and a tank top going to hold up for 39 days?? The second chance season they surprised the cast that they left straight from the reunion show so in that case I understand why they were ill-prepared.
I wonder if those kinds of clothing are banned. Their clothes most likely have to be pre-approved before they can wear them on the show.

GenerationX

I like the new elements this season. The Legacy Advantage is a cool idea, and I imagine it helps with an immunity challenge very late in the game. The option of the shortcut with a larger puzzle ... adds a little more strategy, which is always a good thing. The GenX team was smart to use both of them (especially given the sizes of the team members), they just should've had better puzzle people.

Good call on the production team's part for pulling the castaways during the cyclone. Make no mistake, we all want to see the contestants suffer, we just don't want them permanently injured or deceased.

Lucky

I always assumed they're encouraged to wear as little as possible.

There's a reason why we've never had Survivor: Siberia.

DinoInstitute

So overall I think it was an ok episode. We've been having a good stream of really great premiers recently, so I could be just comparing it to them, but overall I thought as a whole it was a little underwhelming. The one thing that saved it for me keeping it interesting was the weather issues, which was crazy :eek:

So far the standout characters for me that I'm rooting for are Zeke and David. Zeke is just fantastic at everything, and I think David is a really fun guy that will make good tv. Definitely my top two favorites right now. As far as winner predictions go, I'm getting good vibes from Will and Mari. I don't know why, but it seems like the episode's generation narrative skewed a bit more positively towards the Millenials, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them win or at least do well (Similar to the narrative of Worlds Apart, where the Blue Collars were labeled as the group that works hard to get where they need to be, with the main narrative of the season being how the eventual winner, Mike, had to work incredibly hard to win challenges while his opposing rival Rodney was incredibly lazy all season).

The challenge I thought was very interesting. I like it when they do things like the decisions, adding a bit more strategy to it. IMO the best way to go for that challenge for sure is to use none of the shortcuts and take the shortest puzzle. While it looks enticing on paper to get to the puzzle quicker, this is where knowledge of survivor comes in handy. In just about every team challenge with a puzzle, it always comes down to the puzzle. No matter how much you're leading during the physical part, historically it doesn't matter as long as the puzzle is done well. So, unless someone is really struggling somewhere, I think it's best to hold out and make the puzzle as easy and quick as you can.

Overall, I have a lot of high hopes for this season. While I didn't love this episode, I think it started to set up a lot of interesting storylines and characters that could down the road make the season really great in the end. I get the feeling this will be a more character heavy season like Kaôh Rōng, and not as strategy heavy as Cambodia. That said, 20 people is way too many for a non-all stars IMO. Like, several people were heavily under-edited, because the edit felt so spread out. Even Rachel I felt like I didn't know nearly as much as I knew some of the other recent first boots like Darnell, Vytas, and So. Luckily, that should be a problem that solves itself in a couple episodes.

Looking forward to next week!

DinoInstitute

I wonder if those kinds of clothing are banned. Their clothes most likely have to be pre-approved before they can wear them on the show.
Several people that have been on the show on the past have given answers to this type of thing in interviews. Contestants can chose their "style", per se, but they can't just wear whatever they want, production ultimately decides. Basically, the contestants pick like 5 or so different outfits and they send them to production, and they respond telling them what they like and don't, and modify it to what people get to wear in game (this also has to do with different colors of the outfits so that they correspond to their tribe colors).
I was really annoyed they didn't show the evac location. Even just a quick video with a Probst voiceover saying the castaways were brought here for XX hours until the storm passed and they were not given food/water/comfort or whatever.
I imagine they just went back to Ponderosa where they wait around pre and post game. That said, I'm sure there'll be lots of interviews with the cast later on (probably already with Rachel) giving more insight into this.
I'm actually more curious now than I was during the show, so I'm gonna go try and find out :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom