Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X

PUSH

I imagine they just went back to Ponderosa where they wait around pre and post game. That said, I'm sure there'll be lots of interviews with the cast later on (probably already with Rachel) giving more insight into this.
I'm actually more curious now than I was during the show, so I'm gonna go try and find out :p
I was watching the Rob Has a Podcast stream last night (sans Rob, who was covering the Big Brother finale. Stephen Fishbach and Tyson Apostol took over), and I don't remember if it was Stephen or Tyson who said they heard the castaways were put in an empty room, separated from the other tribe. They pretty much weren't allowed to do anything. They said they weren't allowed to talk to each other, either, but they didn't seem too sure on that part. But like Stephen said, even getting into a warm and dry hard floor to sleep on beats bamboo and rain.

21stamps

Several people that have been on the show on the past have given answers to this type of thing in interviews. Contestants can chose their "style", per se, but they can't just wear whatever they want, production ultimately decides. Basically, the contestants pick like 5 or so different outfits and they send them to production, and they respond telling them what they like and don't, and modify it to what people get to wear in game (this also has to do with different colors of the outfits so that they correspond to their tribe colors).

I imagine they just went back to Ponderosa where they wait around pre and post game. That said, I'm sure there'll be lots of interviews with the cast later on (probably already with Rachel) giving more insight into this.
I'm actually more curious now than I was during the show, so I'm gonna go try and find out :p

That still doesn't answer my question though.. Why are so many girls wearing a bra with their nipples hanging out? Do the producers seriously not let them wear a sports bra or simlar style bathing suit?

Im not talking Under Armor gear, just a top where their don't fall out. That has to make a bad situation worse, and the men don't have to deal with the same.

Last edited:

21stamps

Maybe not. The less prepared the better is probably what they want.

I would think if women were forced to do that then we would have heard about it.
It's crazy to me that a producer could make someone wear a bra that could obviously pose problems. I would HOPE that one woman by now would have reported that.

If they choose to wear it when not necessary, that's their own problem.

DinoInstitute

I was watching the Rob Has a Podcast stream last night (sans Rob, who was covering the Big Brother finale. Stephen Fishbach and Tyson Apostol took over), and I don't remember if it was Stephen or Tyson who said they heard the castaways were put in an empty room, separated from the other tribe. They pretty much weren't allowed to do anything. They said they weren't allowed to talk to each other, either, but they didn't seem too sure on that part. But like Stephen said, even getting into a warm and dry hard floor to sleep on beats bamboo and rain.
Yet to listen to the podcast myself, though there is this which I just found online which seems to match up with that
http://etcanada.com/news/169338/pos...illennials-vs-gen-x-podcast-episode-1-rachel/

PUSH

I'm pretty sure Kelley Wentworth wore a sports bra in Cambodia. It's also probably preference of what they want to wear. They get to take a couple different outfits into the game. Some people might be more comfortable in a bikini, which is better suited for wet conditions.

And a side note, I'm also interested to see how the strategy goes this season. This season was the one filmed right after Cambodia, with Koah Rong being filmed before it. So this cast has seen Cambodia and Koah Rong. Will they stick to the alliances, or will they go with more of a "voting blocks" strategy. I've wondered if Survivor has lost out on a potentially new type of gameplay by having the Second Chance aired before Koah Rong. Cambodia was a year ago, and people may have forgotten about it as Koah Rong's strategy is fresh in their minds. It will be interesting to see how the Survivor gameplay develops. I also don't know if new players are smart enough to do voting blocks - the Cambodia returnees were an elite cast.

DinoInstitute

I would think if women were forced to do that then we would have heard about it.
It's crazy to me that a producer could make someone wear a bra that could obviously pose problems. I would HOPE that one woman by now would have reported that.

If they choose to wear it when not necessary, that's their own problem.
I don't really know, but I'd imagine they do...but it's not like we've heard any big complaints from any contestants so what's the problem? Like Andrew C said it's likely that being unprepared and more just thrown into the wilderness and not being survivor-geared up is what they'd want.
I'm pretty sure Kelley Wentworth wore a sports bra in Cambodia. It's also probably preference of what they want to wear. They get to take a couple different outfits into the game. Some people might be more comfortable in a bikini, which is better suited for wet conditions.

And a side note, I'm also interested to see how the strategy goes this season. This season was the one filmed right after Cambodia, with Koah Rong being filmed before it. So this cast has seen Cambodia and Koah Rong. Will they stick to the alliances, or will they go with more of a "voting blocks" strategy. I've wondered if Survivor has lost out on a potentially new type of gameplay by having the Second Chance aired before Koah Rong. Cambodia was a year ago, and people may have forgotten about it as Koah Rong's strategy is fresh in their minds. It will be interesting to see how the Survivor gameplay develops. I also don't know if new players are smart enough to do voting blocks - the Cambodia returnees were an elite cast.
If voting blocs are going to become a permanent thing, I think this would be the season for it to happen before, like you said, it gets too forgotten about. I believe this season started filming in March actually, so Cambodia is most fresh in their minds having only seen the start of KR.

That said, voting blocs I think we're probably special to Cambodia. Partially for like how you said that they were a more elite group, but also the fact that they A) were all stars and B) had several tribe swaps. For those reasons, by the merge, everyone knew each other so much more than people would know each other in an average new player season. I think these prior connections made it a lot easier for players to switch alliances more frequently as done in Cambodia.

Last edited:

21stamps

I don't really know, but I'd imagine they do...but it's not like we've heard any big complaints from any contestants so what's the problem? Like Andrew C said it's likely that being unprepared and more just thrown into the wilderness and not being survivor-geared up is what they'd want.

I don't know if you're a woman or a man, but I always find it strange that the girls aren't a little better prepared for wardrobe malfunctions lol. I can't imagine doing a tough mudder or even a 5k in a regular bra.

My guess is it's their choice, I just think it would be more comfortable to choose differently. So like I said, every season I wonder why they do it.
If voting blocs are going to become a permanent thing, I think this would be the season for it to happen before, like you said, it gets too forgotten about. I believe this season started filming in March actually, so Cambodia is most fresh in their minds having only seen the start of KR.

That said, voting blocs I think we're probably special to Cambodia. Partially for like how you said that they were a more elite group, but also the fact that they A) were all stars and B) had several tribe swaps. For those reasons, by the merge, everyone knew each other so much more than people would know each other in an average new player season. I think these prior connections made it a lot easier for players to switch alliances more frequently as done in Cambodia.

I'm not a fan of the voting blocks..hopefully they won't appear again. Stick to a good old alliance.

PUSH

I just looked it up, and it looks like they started filming on April 4, going until May 12. The last episode of Koah Rong was on May 18, so they missed the final 7 episodes (assuming they were able to watch before April 4). They got right up to Neal's medevac, but anything past that they were out filming for. So they were able to see half of the season, along with some light strategy pre-merge. And Koah Rong wasn't the most strategic season out there.
I've heard rumors this could be another tribe-swap heavy season, but it's all been speculation.

DinoInstitute

I just looked it up, and it looks like they started filming on April 4, going until May 12. The last episode of Koah Rong was on May 18, so they missed the final 7 episodes (assuming they were able to watch before April 4). They got right up to Neal's medevac, but anything past that they were out filming for. So they were able to see half of the season, along with some light strategy pre-merge. And Koah Rong wasn't the most strategic season out there.
I've heard rumors this could be another tribe-swap heavy season, but it's all been speculation.
Ah ok, I assumed it had to be earlier so Jeff had more time to be home before the reunion! :p

If the young tribe starts to be too dominant as happened last time they did this in Nicaragua, I wouldn't be surprised to see another swap thrown in there.

Also, considering it's a cast of 20, there could also always be some sort of message in a bottle type twist to wind down the numbers.

PUSH

Ah ok, I assumed it had to be earlier so Jeff had more time to be home before the reunion! :p

If the young tribe starts to be too dominant as happened last time they did this in Nicaragua, I wouldn't be surprised to see another swap thrown in there.

Also, considering it's a cast of 20, there could also always be some sort of message in a bottle type twist to wind down the numbers.
Hasn't it been said before that they really don't mess with the layout of the game (tribe swaps, challenges, twists, etc) unless they absolutely have to? For example, when Caleb was med-evac'd and it threw off the tribe swap to uneven numbers so Julia spent a night on exile. I've heard they are going to do a tribe swap into 3 tribes, similar to Cambodia. They just didn't know whether it was going to be at 18 or 15. I'd imagine it'd have to be 15 in order to play up the theme of the season. Otherwise it's two weeks of Mil vs Gen X and the theme is completely lost. It'd be interesting to see that, as a split from 2 to 3 tribes has never happened at 15 before.

DinoInstitute

Hasn't it been said before that they really don't mess with the layout of the game (tribe swaps, challenges, twists, etc) unless they absolutely have to? For example, when Caleb was med-evac'd and it threw off the tribe swap to uneven numbers so Julia spent a night on exile. I've heard they are going to do a tribe swap into 3 tribes, similar to Cambodia. They just didn't know whether it was going to be at 18 or 15. I'd imagine it'd have to be 15 in order to play up the theme of the season. Otherwise it's two weeks of Mil vs Gen X and the theme is completely lost. It'd be interesting to see that, as a split from 2 to 3 tribes has never happened at 15 before.
That actually makes me think of another potentially helpful hint... unlike KR, Cagayan, WA, etc., the season is actually called what the tribe division is. It's not just a part of the season. This makes me wonder if there's going to be no tribe swaps like HvV.

PUSH

That actually makes me think of another potentially helpful hint... unlike KR, Cagayan, WA, etc., the season is actually called what the tribe division is. It's not just a part of the season. This makes me wonder if there's going to be no tribe swaps like HvV.
I hope not. It worked for HvV, but it's different with a returning cast. You know you're going to have interesting dynamics no matter what. In a newbie season it's a crapshoot as far as interest level goes. It could also be because they didn't know what to call it since Survivor Fiji was already done.

NYwdwfan

Interesting theory. I hadn't thought of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like the new elements this season. The Legacy Advantage is a cool idea, and I imagine it helps with an immunity challenge very late in the game. The option of the shortcut with a larger puzzle ... adds a little more strategy, which is always a good thing. The GenX team was smart to use both of them (especially given the sizes of the team members), they just should've had better puzzle people.

I don't agree... Everyone catches up at the puzzle eventually... Key is be good at puzzle more than the physical portion... So making your puzzle harder puts you at a real dis advantage

flynnibus

Premium Member
Voting blocks as a term needs to die. It was never really a thing...what they had was "no alligence" and flip floppers... Not "voting blocks". A bunch of people that couldn't commit, and they came up with that aweful term to justify their lack of fortitude and act like it was strategy. No, it was wandering messes.

David... It took me about 45seconds until I wish he was off the screen. I can't stand whiny self-pity stuff. I was disappointed others became the focus before the vote.

I did like the new twist at the challenge... But the episode was a tough watch for me. It's gonna be a tough sell right now on this group.

Probably doesn't help that I watched big brother right before this... Watched Paul give the greatest jury speech ever... And still lost because a few girls held it against him for not apologizing to them.

PUSH

The thing with Cambodia was everyone was out to play. More so than a normal cast of returnees, because these players were motivated by the fans. They were there for themselves and nobody else. There were core alliances that stuck together, but none of those alliances were able to gain the majority. There were tiny alliances that moved around the game to progress themselves. And nobody held it against someone if they voted out someone from their alliance (think when Spencer voted Stephen out, but Jeremy wasn't really upset). There was a core alliance of Jeremy, Spencer and Tasha that made it to the end, but they did break away from each other in order to progress themselves, as well as each other, when the opportunity presented itself. These things were all magnified by the number of tribe swaps. There wasn't time to develop solid, strong alliances, meaning those who were able to adapt to the constant shift in votes were the ones who made it far, such as Jeremy, Spencer and Wentworth. Those who were stuck in their own ways, like Savage and Fishbach, were taken out sooner rather than later.

So I think voting blocks were a real thing, it just wasn't the intended strategy. However, it was definitely something that the players needed to maneuver through in order to succeed. And finding a balance between alliances and voting blocks was ultimately the thing that won Jeremy the game and got Spencer (and Tasha, though she was dragged) to the end.

DinoInstitute

Probably doesn't help that I watched big brother right before this... Watched Paul give the greatest jury speech ever... And still lost because a few girls held it against him for not apologizing to them.
Natalie even said in exit interviews that she just wanted a girl to win... So, she was gonna vote for Nicole based on no gameplay or anything whatsoever... Which is not friendship. I hope Paul gets a second chance sometime.

Anyway, back to Survivor :p
The thing with Cambodia was everyone was out to play. More so than a normal cast of returnees, because these players were motivated by the fans. They were there for themselves and nobody else. There were core alliances that stuck together, but none of those alliances were able to gain the majority. There were tiny alliances that moved around the game to progress themselves. And nobody held it against someone if they voted out someone from their alliance (think when Spencer voted Stephen out, but Jeremy wasn't really upset). There was a core alliance of Jeremy, Spencer and Tasha that made it to the end, but they did break away from each other in order to progress themselves, as well as each other, when the opportunity presented itself. These things were all magnified by the number of tribe swaps. There wasn't time to develop solid, strong alliances, meaning those who were able to adapt to the constant shift in votes were the ones who made it far, such as Jeremy, Spencer and Wentworth. Those who were stuck in their own ways, like Savage and Fishbach, were taken out sooner rather than later.

So I think voting blocks were a real thing, it just wasn't the intended strategy. However, it was definitely something that the players needed to maneuver through in order to succeed. And finding a balance between alliances and voting blocks was ultimately the thing that won Jeremy the game and got Spencer (and Tasha, though she was dragged) to the end.
I agree. Though honestly thinking back about it more, they have kind of always been a thing, just to a lesser extent. It wasn't until Fishbach gave it a name that it feels that much different :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom