Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
These posts gave me deja vu, LOL!! Your trip looked exhausting but fun! Hope you were able to rest up in Boca!

Ha ha, me too! Trust me!

I’ll say this about our cruise., it was amazing!!! So relaxing, so much fun.. I was worried doing NCL instead of Disney as we had planned last year.. but my worry was wrong!! It was the easist trip that T and I have ever taken together. Everything went so smoothly, with the exception of rough seas in Cozumel, our excursion was canceled at that port, all others were sold out- but honestly we had a blast staying on the ship that day.

I’d still like to a Disney Cruise., but T was so happy on the ropes course, plank, and rock climbing walls.. I don’t know if he will enjoy DCL as much now. I think we’ll wait to see what their new ships have to offer

12in12

I love NCL as well, even without kids it is a very relaxing way to vacation. My mom, sister and I cruise together ones a year and it is now my mom's favorite way to travel. Our next cruise is to the Baltic states in September on the Breakaway, I am already looking forward to it.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I love NCL as well, even without kids it is a very relaxing way to vacation. My mom, sister and I cruise together ones a year and it is now my mom's favorite way to travel.

That sounds amazing!!!

As great as it was with T, I know that it would be even better with adults only ;). There’s just so much to do!! I would have loved to spend more time at 6-7-8 Place.. we really only went there for dinner, then I’d stop for a drink, but carry it with me on our way back to the pool/mini golf/ ropes course decks.lol

I think the Breakaway and Getaway are very similar? The whole Miami/Latin vibe and music was just so much fun.

My only complaint- the camera for the plank was apparently broken. :(. I didn’t realize this until 11pm on our last night.
The cameras flashed every time you pulled the rope.. but when I went to buy the photos, I was told that the cameras were not working. Soooooo disappointed. It’s not every day that you can get a photo of yourself standing on a plank 17 stories above the ocean. T was extremely disappointed. Hopefully the cams will be working on our next cruise!

And hopefully they’re working on yours! I’m in envy of your adult trip.. and your destination!

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh, one more slight disappointment, for T anyway.. the drop slides have a 99lb minimum requirement.. I guess because of how you shoot up before the loop..we had planned to race. He was so sad!! But he made me go on it!! Lol. He’s so weird, he said “Mom, at least I can watch someone in my family enjoy it.”
So, we raced on the other slides.. over and over and over..
I was thankful for the UBP afterwards.. he played ping pong while I sipped a pina colada ;)

Pixieish

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun! I ALWAYS cry when we leave MK or Epcot at night - even if it isn't the last day of our trip...something about the beauty of the castle and SSE all lit up and quiet...your pics are amazing and I totally teared up thinking of how nice a night you guys had and leaving the park.

My oldest walked in while I was looking at your pics and says to tell T that C says hi!
IMG_0159b.jpg

21stamps

Original Poster
Just tell T that if he does it too much, one day he’s gonna get stuck like that forever! :joyfull: He probably wouldn’t mind though!

Ha ha! I will try that!!

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun! I ALWAYS cry when we leave MK or Epcot at night - even if it isn't the last day of our trip...something about the beauty of the castle and SSE all lit up and quiet...your pics are amazing and I totally teared up thinking of how nice a night you guys had and leaving the park.

My oldest walked in while I was looking at your pics and says to tell T that C says hi!
View attachment 247570

Thank you! I’m glad I’m not the only sappy one when leaving the parks.

Love the pic of your son!! What is it with these crazy boys? ;) I will have to show T this photo, he will love it!

21stamps

Original Poster
Hi all! Disclaimer- This is not a Disney related post.

Today is the first day that I have had time to go thru our cruise photos. I just wanted to share my favorite excursion moment..because, well, it was such a beautiful moment. T and I actually do have some non-hectic moments on our trips ;)

We were in Roatan, Honduras...picked this spot to swim..(I wish it wasn't blurry :( )
us roatan beach.JPG

Then T spots a giant school of fish--
t sees fish.JPG

And now... I'm going to include several fish photos because I can't pick my faves..
fish.JPG
fish2.JPG
fish3.JPG
fish4.JPG
fish6.JPG
fish 7.JPG
fish 5.JPG
fish 8.JPG

It was soooo neat!!!!!! I was an avid scuba diver prior to T's birth (only a few more years left til we can do it together!!), it seems like EVERY TIME we've gone on vacation the past few years, the weather is bad or not too many fish are out when we try to snorkel. This was the first time that he has been around so many fish!!!!
A few days later I was even more appreciative of this experience, because our highly anticipated Reef Snorkel trip was cancelled due to rough seas in Cozumel. Thankfully this beach side swim in Roatan included at lease some marine life.
The only unfortunate thing in the photos is apparently his eyes are closed in all of them. He wasn't very happy with me for not packing goggles, he tried to open his eyes, but would always come up or cover his face quickly.

Anyway, sometimes we do stop and "smell the roses" :)

21stamps

Original Poster
Paging @fractal , I cheapened out and ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix camera instead of the Olympus Tough TG5... my photos are inconsistent and sometimes grainy.. would it have made a huge difference?

fractal

Paging @fractal , I cheapened out and ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix camera instead of the Olympus Tough TG5... my photos are inconsistent and sometimes grainy.. would it have made a huge difference?

Well, it depends on which Lumix you bought. If it's the DMC-TS30, I'm afraid so. The Olympus will give you better image quality.

Princess Leia

Thanks!

With regards to the set up at AS Sports, there’s 2 things that I didn’t understand..

1. Why not have coffee carts in the lobby? I think they would do well.
2. Why would someone have to wait in the giant check-in line for concierge services?

I was baffled by that. I walked up to the concierge desk and was told- “Ma’am, the line starts back there.”
I replied-
“Oh, I don’t need Check-in or out.. I just need to buy MVMCP tickets.”
“Ma’am, the line for that is the same one. It starts back there.”

I picked my jaw off the floor and hurried back to the room.
Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Smart idea to hurry to get coffee as soon as you wake up.. I would have done that if I realized ahead of time.
Pop is the same about the coffee. While I was okay, I had some very unhappy friends who couldn't have coffee right away. Making coffee pots in the rooms a moderate or deluxe resort bonus just seems very off.

SSH

Chiming in late, but loved reading your TR - although I was getting a little stressed and breathless myself just reading about the experience! :hilarious:

1000% with you on the coffee. I do not function without it. I stay at values a lot and my little 4-cup buddy has been our loyal and hardworking traveling companion for 15+ years: a bag of Starbucks and that pot are the first 2 things I pack. There is no way I'm dealing with food court chaos at that early hour. :D

21stamps

Original Poster
Well, it depends on which Lumix you bought. If it's the DMC-TS30, I'm afraid so. The Olympus will give you better image quality.

That’s the one I got. It was on sale, and I figured “how much will I actually use it, and how big of a difference can it be?”
I guess I found out what the difference is. Mistake. Should have gone with my original preference.

Oh boy, wait until you see some of my ride photos lololol

We’ve done the same pose at Kings Island, or at least what it was supposed to be.. eyes wide blowing our cheeks out. Didn’t quite make it in that photo.lol

I can’t wait to see yours!

Chiming in late, but loved reading your TR - although I was getting a little stressed and breathless myself just reading about the experience! :hilarious:

1000% with you on the coffee. I do not function without it. I stay at values a lot and my little 4-cup buddy has been our loyal and hardworking traveling companion for 15+ years: a bag of Starbucks and that pot are the first 2 things I pack. There is no way I'm dealing with food court chaos at that early hour. :D

Thanks! I’m so glad other people can feel my pain on the coffee scenario ;). I actually remember reading about the “no coffee pots in Value resorts” on this site.. but that was such a literal spur of the moment decision that I didn’t even think about it!

You’re smart!

21stamps

Original Poster
Pop is the same about the coffee. While I was okay, I had some very unhappy friends who couldn't have coffee right away. Making coffee pots in the rooms a moderate or deluxe resort bonus just seems very off.

Yeah, I’ve never heard of a hotel that doesn’t have coffee makers until the Disney Values. There’s enough amenities difference, a coffee pot doesn’t need to be one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom