Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Wishes was starting soon, so we thought it would be a great time to get in line for Big Thunder Mountain.

We were correct! About a 15 minute wait, and we got the front seat! :)

D0FB94DC-0471-4B7A-8FC9-15CFF3914C09.jpeg
7B02DE91-9BA9-4ED3-9AA9-19F2188CC6CF.jpeg

Holiday Wishes started as we were finishing the ride.
We walked and watched at the same time, but we did pause to view the finale while standing still.

I would have liked to see Happily Ever After, but Holiday Wishes was still pretty.

3C02A73A-D0D9-4E51-9B7B-B0BA2C240B36.jpeg

Then we stopped for a snow cone and pretzel before Pirates of the Caribbean.

T had the snow cone, I had half of the pretzel.

939F493A-C116-44B2-AD21-0C5698C0FAAF.jpeg

For some reason I don’t have a PhotoPass pic from Pirates.. so here’s T being silly in the gift shop.

DC5F3844-07FC-4ABC-ACBE-CF1DF7C797B5.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
Now it’s 11:35pm.

The park closes at midnight.

There is SOOOOO MUCH that we did NOT do.

T is fading fast...

“What do you want to do,T? Go back and sleep now or try to go on one or two more rides.. maybe Small World and Winnie the Pooh, if we can fit both?

He says “It’s a Small World, and the sleep.”

“Can you stay awake for it?”

“Yes.”

Ok, We go to the ride..

52A90450-8D08-4EC6-A0FC-B4A1B896AB40.jpeg

Not even 30 seconds later...

8E904B4E-3956-47E5-8011-E2DDAF28DC4D.jpeg
14CD5CD5-D28E-40D6-8B1C-E392C4E7DF4D.jpeg

I’m such an awesome mom, I FB Live’d the whole thing.. I kept poking him to wake up.. wasn’t happening.. then he’d hit his head, and reposition.

Oh well. Who can blame him? It’s been a lonnnggg 72 Hours.. and even a longer day.

667CFAA8-56CA-476D-9985-EF289BE8048C.jpeg
CFE40AE4-D099-45AC-AD2F-1AE62629F6D0.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
I wake him up to exit the ride.

He says “We can’t leave without doing Mine Train, is it still open?”

“T, you just fell asleep, are you sure you can stand in line? I can not hold you.”

“Yes, please.”

So... do you folks remember the sugar from 2016?

I’m going to try it again!! Cookies and apple cider here we come! (Hopefully, it’s now 11:50)

FBE2652F-FCF8-4CCD-A250-A8BC73F25AB5.jpeg
F63FE21F-BBC7-415B-A424-6348AE427003.jpeg

Sugar to the rescue..

AB76FD57-D089-447B-BDB8-053BD35E503F.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
We exit the ride, both walking off laughing and talking about how cold it was.

It’s now 1am and we started to make our way out of the park.. CMs we’re standing everywhere blocking entrances to paths, with the exception of the path near the castle.

I had to get a few last photos in..
Take a pic of the carousel..
F56C63DB-23F5-48B6-AB16-444BB8FC6DF1.jpeg

....And then T spots the Mickey!!

EA7CB020-4EB2-46EF-9178-9EC6F53D2463.jpeg

I’ve never seen one of those done before!!
I wanted to cry, it solidified everything I love about that place. Everything.

We head to Main Street as I continue taking photos..trying not to cry.

39E5E47D-FFAB-465C-8204-EDD3B0ABB966.jpeg
6D4022CB-3595-463D-AE41-4F41330DBF19.jpeg
768778CC-388A-436E-96E1-BB54B6FD6029.jpeg

A PhotoPass person is still open!!!! Yay!! Come on T!
He took a rest while we waited..
7B082422-0A35-4655-A910-6CBF678CFD28.jpeg

21stamps

Original Poster
That Friday was long, and hectic, and exhausting, but I wouldn’t change it. We didn’t get to complete the ‘4 Park Plan’, 3 was an accomplishment in itself, for us. We aren’t open to close park people.

T was surprised at the visit, and we both had an amazing time.. making new memories. :)

Went back to the hotel to sleep for 4 hours, then off in the morning for a night in Boca.. and then embark on a new adventure.. a much more relaxing one.

9D049612-4C1F-4791-B45F-20BB44B3B4A8.jpeg
95B2548C-CB9C-4FF1-B52B-158A4E4F234F.jpeg

As an aside, Writing this was so bittersweet to me. I’ve had a few tears looking at the photos. :(
We’ll get back to Disney eventually, but first we have too many places to go and too little time..
In the meantime, I’m going to cherish each and every memory that we have made at WDW over the past few years.

Thanks everyone for following along on my crazy last minute surprise adventure!!!

Now I can catch up on all of your reports! :)

Last edited:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Thanks!

With regards to the set up at AS Sports, there’s 2 things that I didn’t understand..

1. Why not have coffee carts in the lobby? I think they would do well.
2. Why would someone have to wait in the giant check-in line for concierge services?

I was baffled by that. I walked up to the concierge desk and was told- “Ma’am, the line starts back there.”
I replied-
“Oh, I don’t need Check-in or out.. I just need to buy MVMCP tickets.”
“Ma’am, the line for that is the same one. It starts back there.”

I picked my jaw off the floor and hurried back to the room.
Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Smart idea to hurry to get coffee as soon as you wake up.. I would have done that if I realized ahead of time.

We carry a $10 Walmart coffee maker, some filters in tupperware, and coffee stuff in the trunk of our car at all times for just such emergencies. We will NEVER not have coffee when we wake up. The general public is not ready for me before coffee. :)

21stamps

Original Poster
I love that the guy in the background has a "whoa kid, settle down!" look going on. :D

Ha Ha! I didn’t even notice that until now. I’ll have to point it out to T. He’s been so busy he hasn’t even seen our photos.
We have his First Reconciliation tonight, which is the whole reason for all of the late changes to our vacation.
We carry a $10 Walmart coffee maker, some filters in tupperware, and coffee stuff in the trunk of our car at all times for just such emergencies. We will NEVER not have coffee when we wake up. The general public is not ready for me before coffee. :)

Someone who understands me!!!
The personal coffee maker is genius! Even when camping I stock the cooler with iced coffee drinks. I can NOT function without coffee, I’m lucky that my shirt wasn’t on backwards that morning. ;)

The shoes are kind of obnoxious, but they did mesh perfectly with the evening. ;)
View attachment 247144

Not quite sure what I’m looking at here..

View attachment 247146

You could ask @Tuvalu about that :)[/QUOTE]

Lol. Did she do the same thing?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Random pretty sight..my iPhone didn’t do it justice unfortunately.

View attachment 247222

Time for the Parade!!!!

T sat down, and promptly started falling asleep :(

View attachment 247228

View attachment 247223 View attachment 247226 View attachment 247227

He was in and out of consciousness the entire time again!!
He did wake up, and stand up, waving to Santa.

View attachment 247225 View attachment 247224

Now it’s 11:35pm.

The park closes at midnight.

There is SOOOOO MUCH that we did NOT do.

T is fading fast...

“What do you want to do,T? Go back and sleep now or try to go on one or two more rides.. maybe Small World and Winnie the Pooh, if we can fit both?

He says “It’s a Small World, and the sleep.”

“Can you stay awake for it?”

“Yes.”

Ok, We go to the ride..

View attachment 247238

Not even 30 seconds later...

View attachment 247239 View attachment 247240

I’m such an awesome mom, I FB Live’d the whole thing.. I kept poking him to wake up.. wasn’t happening.. then he’d hit his head, and reposition.

Oh well. Who can blame him? It’s been a lonnnggg 72 Hours.. and even a longer day.

View attachment 247241 View attachment 247242

I wake him up to exit the ride.

He says “We can’t leave without doing Mine Train, is it still open?”

“T, you just fell asleep, are you sure you can stand in line? I can not hold you.”

“Yes, please.”

So... do you folks remember the sugar from 2016?

I’m going to try it again!! Cookies and apple cider here we come! (Hopefully, it’s now 11:50)

View attachment 247243 View attachment 247244

Sugar to the rescue..

View attachment 247246

It didn’t start out so well, and we had a 45 minute wait ahead of us.

View attachment 247251
View attachment 247254

Finally the sugar kicked in!!!
View attachment 247252 View attachment 247253

The ride was FREEZING!!!! But so worth it!!!

View attachment 247255

These posts gave me deja vu, LOL!! Your trip looked exhausting but fun! Hope you were able to rest up in Boca!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom