Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
You of all people should know by now what they say about the best laid plans. ;) The trip will be magical regardless of all the drama! Better get packing!

I have been a complete mess. That’s one of the reasons why I’m so behind on everyone’s trip reports. I can’t wait to have the time to read them and how people actually do the things that they planned to do.lol.

I’m undecided on MVMCP. I do know that either way I don’t have the time to buy us “ugly Christmas sweaters” for it. Plus, I am not a fan of celebrating (anything) Christmas before Black Friday... although I may make an exception in 2017.

Rumrunner

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.
You are juggling a lot of balls in the air but we almost always drive to Disney-1145 miles and it has become a great experience for all with a lot of neat experiences. Wouldn't trade it for any flight-just takes longer. Its Disney-everything is great. Good luck.

Princess Leia

1. Judas Priest, stamps, that is a whirlwind of a post.

2. #CatholicProblems, amiright?

Safe travels this week! I actually am thinking about changing my flight itinerary (from regular class to first class if it’s available, you only turn 26 once), so I can kind of sympathize with the changing plans.

21stamps

Original Poster
You are juggling a lot of balls in the air but we almost always drive to Disney-1145 miles and it has become a great experience for all with a lot of neat experiences. Wouldn't trade it for any flight-just takes longer. Its Disney-everything is great. Good luck.

Thank you. I’ve never been in a car with my child for this long.. I hope we describe it as a “neat experience”. ;)

Yes! I love your trip reports, your ever changing plans, and the way you do the parks and resorts (especially when you throw away the spreadsheets ;)). Looking forward to this one!

Lol thanks! This one is going to be very short.. park time and that’s about it. Not having much luck with dining.. only want one meal at Ohana. Won’t have time for boats, bikes, or the like.
We may spend most of our time in line for 7DMT, ;) of course no FP and Early Morning Magic is not going on this November :(.

I’m hoping it will be a pleasant surprise for kiddo regardless!

1. Judas Priest, stamps, that is a whirlwind of a post.

2. #CatholicProblems, amiright?

Safe travels this week! I actually am thinking about changing my flight itinerary (from regular class to first class if it’s available, you only turn 26 once), so I can kind of sympathize with the changing plans.

That post is my brain for about 3 weeks now.

To add to this mess.. we’ve had the following extracurricular activities going on during my mandatory vacay adjustment search-

Outdoor soccer, which just ended.
Currently only left with..
1. School’s indoor soccer team. (I’m the head coach)
2. Basketball.
3. Club Soccer tryouts. Received an offer from the club he wanted (not without an EXTREMELY stressful waiting-for-results period), accepted the offer.. so..
4. Club soccer Winter technical training.
5. Cub Scouts.

I do not know how parents of multiple kids do it.. I really am in awe and wonder.. I feel like I’m losing my mind with our schedule and trying to plan a vacation.

Upgrade your flights if it’s reasonable. 26 is a fantastic year to celebrate!! :)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Thank you. I’ve never been in a car with my child for this long.. I hope we describe it as a “neat experience”. ;)

Lol thanks! This one is going to be very short.. park time and that’s about it. Not having much luck with dining.. only want one meal at Ohana. Won’t have time for boats, bikes, or the like.
We may spend most of our time in line for 7DMT, ;) of course no FP and Early Morning Magic is not going on this November :(.

I’m hoping it will be a pleasant surprise for kiddo regardless!

That post is my brain for about 3 weeks now.

To add to this mess.. we’ve had the following extracurricular activities going on during my mandatory vacay adjustment search-

Outdoor soccer, which just ended.
Currently only left with..
1. School’s indoor soccer team. (I’m the head coach)
2. Basketball.
3. Club Soccer tryouts. Received an offer from the club he wanted (not without an EXTREMELY stressful waiting-for-results period), accepted the offer.. so..
4. Club soccer Winter technical training.
5. Cub Scouts.

I do not know how parents of multiple kids do it.. I really am in awe and wonder.. I feel like I’m losing my mind with our schedule and trying to plan a vacation.

Upgrade your flights if it’s reasonable. 26 is a fantastic year to celebrate!! :)
After the past 4 months that I’ve had (put my dog down, then my paternal grandma died, then my maternal grandpa), I kind of feel like I deserve the seat upgrade. Plus I haven’t done first class in 7 years.

21stamps

Original Poster
After the past 4 months that I’ve had (put my dog down, then my paternal grandma died, then my maternal grandpa), I kind of feel like I deserve the seat upgrade. Plus I haven’t done first class in 7 years.

Wow, I’m so sorry, what a year. You definitely need to indulge and celebrate life!

How long is your flight? Is the money better spent on a different ‘extra’? That’s how I would decide. Sounds like you’re leaning towards the upgrade.. I vote- Spoil Yourself :)

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Wow, I’m so sorry, what a year. You definitely need to take indulge and celebrate life!

How long is your flight? Is the money better spent on a different ‘extra’? That’s how I would decide. Sounds like you’re leaning towards the upgrade.. I vote- Spoil Yourself :)
It’s a little under three hours, Detroit to Orlando. Most of the money I plan on spending at Disney and Uni will probably be on food (excited for Ohana and Le Cellier, but eek it’s expensive), so I’m thinking about just splurging on this flight. It’s not super long, but it’d be nice to be pampered during that time.

21stamps

Original Poster
It’s a little under three hours, Detroit to Orlando. Most of the money I plan on spending at Disney and Uni will probably be on food (excited for Ohana and Le Cellier, but eek it’s expensive), so I’m thinking about just splurging on this flight. It’s not super long, but it’d be nice to be pampered during that time.

I’m so behind on trip reports and pre trips.. not sure if it’s in your plans, but I hope Trader Sam’s is included in your itinerary! I’m wildly envious of anyone who can be on the Terrace at night. Great music, great food, great drinks, and great atmosphere.

21stamps

Original Poster
I’m happy that I was able to secure the following FPs- we will hop to Hollywood Studios hopefully before 1pm.

56448F41-E8B1-4A0E-B7FD-4F814A2B4652.jpeg

Undecided on what to do Thursday 11/16 (arrival day). Opinions are welcomed!!

I have the following options-

A. MVMCP.
The only issue with this is that we would be out til after midnight, and back at MK at 6:45am the next morning.. with a full day of parks ahead of us. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

B. Disney Springs.
We didn’t do DS last November, so it would give us an opportunity to see the Christmas Tree trail, but I don’t have a desire to shop at Disney Springs on this trip.

C. Epcot or Animal Kingdom.
We would arrive at the park by 5pm, at the earliest. AK closed at 8pm, Epcot 9.

Saturday 11/18 I’m still hoping to get Ohana breakfast reservations, then we’re driving to SoFla. Spending one night there before our cruise departs 11/19.

Again.. opinions from you fine folks are welcomed, and needed!! :)

Courtney6682

My head is spinning.

I can't WAIT to hear about his reaction when you arrive at WDW!!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
I can't WAIT to hear about his reaction when you arrive at WDW!!!!

I have no idea what it’s going to be.

I see all of the surprise reactions on social media, I’d absolutely love for T to jump up and down or squeal with joy.. but I don’t think he’s that kind of kid.lol :(

I would go to Disney Springs. You don't have to shop, you can look at the decorations, have some qs dinner and just soak up the atmosphere. :)

Thanks! Your suggestion is the “smart” option! However, Do you think it’s horrible to go to Disney World and NOT see MK at night? With MVMCP being Thursday and Friday, the only way we can see the castle lighting is if we attend the party. Maybe leave early?

amjt660

Premium Member
A. MVMCP.
The only issue with this is that we would be out til after midnight, and back at MK at 6:45am the next morning.. with a full day of parks ahead of us. I’m not sure how I feel about that.

B. Disney Springs.
We didn’t do DS last November, so it would give us an opportunity to see the Christmas Tree trail, but I don’t have a desire to shop at Disney Springs on this trip.

C. Epcot or Animal Kingdom.
We would arrive at the park by 5pm, at the earliest. AK closed at 8pm, Epcot 9.

A: Pick one or the other (MVMCP or early start the next day) - doing both is over planning and will not work out
B: The Christmas tree trail is fun - do it for sure
C: Neither is optimal but I would say DAK for me - I have not seen Pandora yet so I would want to see it at night.

Just my two cents

Max

21stamps

Original Poster
A: Pick one or the other (MVMCP or early start the next day) - doing both is over planning and will not work out
B: The Christmas tree trail is fun - do it for sure
C: Neither is optimal but I would say DAK for me - I have not seen Pandora yet so I would want to see it at night.

Just my two cents

Max

Thank you! I’m going to add one more option-

D. MVMCP Thursday, skip MK Friday. Doing HS and AK that day instead. Which means I’d have to choose between an evening at MK or a morning at MK.
The problem there is also that not all rides are open during MVMCP..although, CoP being the only one that kiddo would miss.

You’re correct about the late night, 6am morning will not work. I can’t do that to him and the day would be miserable.
There’s not really an ideal scenario with any of these options. We both enjoy being in MK at night.. but I have to be smart about this.

amjt660

Premium Member
D. MVMCP Thursday, skip MK Friday. Doing HS and AK that day instead. Which means I’d have to choose between an evening at MK or a morning at MK.
The problem there is also that not all rides are open during MVMCP..although, CoP being the only one that kiddo would miss.

First off do not worry about CoP - he is young and will see it again at some point.
So stick to Thursday MK and then pick what to do on Friday

Depends on if you want to do Pandora - it will be busy and you will be getting there after rope drop (late night at MK will cause the need for a bit of a sleep in I assume).

Max

Pixieish

Dang that's a lot of planning drama!!!

I'm so glad you were finally able to schedule your trip though! Our boys are really good on long haul road trips...we pack a cooler bag with drinks and snacks, and they each have their tablets, plus they fill their backpacks with other car-friendly activities. We let them pick what they'll bring for fun and it gets them involved in the planning process and helps build their excitement. :)

kaitertot5249

WOW, talk about a whirlwind planning adventure! I thought the 12 days that I was given to plan a trip last February was chaotic, I can't even imaging having less than a week to make a plan that works o_O May the force be with you!!!!

I'm sure that no matter what you and your son will have a great, spur of the moment few days in Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom