Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

mickEblu

Florida realized that very quickly and got Disney World and its tourism industry reopened many months ago.

What I will be interested to see is if Disneyland still has to go through the hassle of reopening with all the rules that Governor Newsom said they would have to comply with before he changed the rules again and we went to the Regional Stay-At-Home Order that isn't actually a stay at home order, nor is it regional.

As a reminder, the old rules that Governor Newsom rolled out to great fanfare last October for Disneyland's reopening were the following using the previous Blueprint For A Safer Economy rules;
  • Remain Closed Until Orange County Gets To Yellow Tier
  • Reopen in Yellow Tier With Only 25% Capacity
  • Don't Allow Anyone Who Lives More Than 120 Miles Away To Enter Theme Park
  • Bans The Use Of Indoor Queues, Theaters, Entertainment, Etc., Etc.
Is that really still a thing? Is that how Disneyland still reopens later this year? Or will the rules change again?

Will Disneyland open this year? Who knows at this point. Is Sacramento willing to play nice and revise their tier system to something realistic/ attainable now that Disney is helping out?

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
Greater Sacramento Region is coming out of the Regional stay at home order effective immediately

Hey, thanks! That answers the question I just posed. It appears that when a region cancels the Stay-At-Home order it returns to the old Tier System from the old Blueprint For A Safer Economy.

So that old system still lives and operates, apparently. Good to know!

Now we just need to get Orange County down to the Yellow Tier and Disneyland can open at 25% capacity and only let in "people that are proximate to these theme parks" and ban "people from all around the world who descend", as Governor Newsom so beautifully puts it.

In regular human speak, Governor Newsom is attempting to say the words "locals" and "tourists".

TP2000

Original Poster
Will Disneyland open this year? Who knows at this point. Is Sacramento willing to play nice and revise their tier system to something realistic/ attainable now that Disney is helping out?

If we really do just go back to the Tier System in a month or two, I'm not sure that Disneyland can open this year. To get to the Yellow Tier basically means Covid is entirely eradicated from a county with 3.2 Million people in it. And once it's eradicated you get to reopen Disneyland at 25% capacity and ban all tourists.

It would seem that would push the reopening out into 2021, especially considering the recent rollout of the vaccine and how California is using Phases, Sub-Phases and Tiers Within Sub-Phases to identify who gets the vaccine.

Apparently this is gonna take awhile.

mickEblu

If we really do just go back to the Tier System in a month or two, I'm not sure that Disneyland can open this year. To get to the Yellow Tier basically means Covid is entirely eradicated from a county with 3.2 Million people in it. And once it's eradicated you get to reopen Disneyland at 25% capacity and ban all tourists.

It would seem that would push the reopening out into 2021, especially considering the recent rollout of the vaccine and how California is using Phases, Sub-Phases and Tiers Within Sub-Phases to identify who gets the vaccine.

Apparently this is gonna take awhile.

I feel like we are all saying Summer based on the same reasoning we thought they’d open last Halloween/ Fall. Wishful thinking. Summer is far enough out where we want to believe things will be figured out by then. But if the tier criteria doesn’t change, Disneyland is not reopening this year.

TP2000

Original Poster
I feel like we are all saying Summer based on the same reasoning we thought they’d open last Halloween/ Fall. Wishful thinking. Summer is far enough out where we want to believe things will be figured out by then. But if the tier criteria doesn’t change, Disneyland is not reopening this year.

Yeah, I think so too. I know I did that a lot, just assuming "Well surely they'll be open by next summer!"

But honestly, when you sit and look at what it takes to get down to the tiny, tiny numbers required for the Yellow Tier, it's still a very long way off. Heck, we are already coming up fast on the one-year anniversary of the closure.

To get OC to the Yellow Tier, we either need to just stop testing for Covid, or somehow eradicate it entirely from the planet.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah, I think so too. I know I did that a lot, just assuming "Well surely they'll be open by next summer!"

But honestly, when you sit and look at what it takes to get down to the tiny, tiny numbers required for the Yellow Tier, it's still a very long way off. Heck, we are already coming up fast on the one-year anniversary of the closure.

To get OC to the Yellow Tier, we either need to just stop testing for Covid, or somehow eradicate it entirely from the planet.

I can’t help but think that perhaps we will see a revisitation of the guidance early Summer, with vaccination rates likely being introduced as a new metric that helps “advance” tiers with more urgency. With a statewide “stretch goal” of a 70% vaccination rate by July 4th (which is at or near herd immunity levels) I think the hope is we will be there relatively soon.

Also with a possible recall election on the periphery in August there will be immense pressure on the Newsom Administration to speed up vaccinations. Pushing this into 2022 just seems unfeasible both economically and politically. But time will tell.

TP2000

Original Poster
I can’t help but think that perhaps we will see a revisitation of the guidance early Summer, with vaccination rates likely being introduced as a new metric that helps “advance” tiers with more urgency. With a statewide “stretch goal” of a 70% vaccination rate by July 4th (which is at or near herd immunity levels) I think the hope is we will be there relatively soon.

Also with a possible recall election on the periphery in August there will be immense pressure on the Newsom Administration to speed up vaccinations. Pushing this into 2022 just seems unfeasible both economically and politically. But time will tell.

Agree that pushing this into 2022 is unfeasible. Heck, pushing this into 2021 was already unfeasible.

But unless Governor Newsom goes back and rewrites his own rules again, the Yellow Tier is an impossible dream for '21 it would seem. Especially in a big county with 3.2 Million people and multiple mega-highways in and out of the county.

Newsom is going to need to come up with a fifth (or is it sixth) version of the rules the state uses for Covid. And yeah, that recall issue is becoming more worrying for him by the day and will likely be a factor in the changes he makes to his Science & Data later this year.

Stevek

This was my thought as well...once we get to a certain % of vaccinations, the tiers either go out the window or get modified significantly.

MoonRakerSCM

That 0% figure is the "Adjusted" number after bureaucrats change all the actual numbers to reflect the Equity Metric and other Ignore-The-Man-Behind-The-Curtain sorcery that only makes sense in Sacramento.

The "Unadjusted" number, or the actual number just based purely on available ICU beds, is currently 9.2% of ICU beds available in the SoCal Region. It has been hovering around 9% to 10% for weeks now.
I remember calling that out when it happened... our ICU numbers were at 15-10% and then suddenly on a random day (I think it was a Wednesday) it was at 0% using this new 'adjusted' figure WITH NO EXPLANATION. That numbers suddenly started being used without and explanation or statement of why and suddenly all the media and government officials started harping about 0% ICU beds.

TP2000

Original Poster
This was my thought as well...once we get to a certain % of vaccinations, the tiers either go out the window or get modified significantly.

I'm waiting with martini-baited breath to learn what the brain trust in Sacramento calls the new system!

We've already had the following in the last 10 months, most of which no one mentions or talks about anymore;
  • Western States Pact - AKA Three Democrat Governors And A Priest Walk Into A Bar...
  • Three Stage Roadmap - AKA State Watchlist
  • Blueprint For A Safer Economy - AKA Color-Coded Four Tiers
  • Statewide 10PM Curfew - AKA In-N-Out Open Until 1AM! Satin Topless On Ball Road Open Until 2AM!
  • Regional Stay-At-Home Order - AKA No One Is Actually Staying At Home, So Go To Target!
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what Newsom comes up with next, because I'm very close to getting a Bingo!

Last edited:

mickEblu

So what we’re hoping for is that Sacramento drastically changes or abandons their tier system due to the vaccine? Is that plausible? I wonder what percentage of the population (or Californians) would need to be vaccinated for them to feel comfortable with Disneyland being open? Or maybe it will be a combination of number of people vaccinated but just increase the Covid cases # in the yellow tier from that unattainable number.

TP2000

Original Poster
So what we’re hoping for is that Sacramento drastically changes or abandons their tier system due to the vaccine? Is that plausible? I wonder what percentage of the population (or Californians) would need to be vaccinated for them to feel comfortable with Disneyland being open? Or maybe it will be a combination of number of people vaccinated but just increase the Covid cases # in the yellow tier from that unattainable number.

Someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but I think in order to get Disneyland reopened in 2021 it's going to require a drastic change to the Blueprint For A Safer Economy Four Tier Color-Coded system.

Getting OC down to the Yellow Tier, and thus getting Disneyland reopened at 25% capacity and no tourists allowed, seems to be impossible with the current numbers and the current situation where California is among the worst states in the nation when it comes to vaccine distribution.

Governor Newsom needs to invent an entirely new game to play to replace the Blueprint For A Safer Economy Four Tier Color-Coded system. Something that gives OC bonus points for having housewives with lots of Botox, or middle-class people who lease a BMW or Lexus they can't afford, or some sort of new Valet Parking Equity Metric.

Otherwise, unless Sacramento rewrites the rules a fifth (or is it sixth?) time, OC and Disneyland are closed until 2022.

Apology Statement: When I typed the word "tourists" above, I meant to say "people from around the world who descend". I'm very sorry for any confusion that caused the very intelligent here, or any graduate from Santa Clara University (Go Broncos!) who totally could have gone to Stanford if they wanted to but they just didn't.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Not just vaccines, I was more or less wondering if Newsom follows one of his Gubernatorial counterparts in New York and looks at Andrew Cuomo’s path we may end up seeing more rapid testing (combined with mass vaccination uptake) as an option that can provide a “bridge” to theaters and restaurants, and eventually entertainment venues and theme parks on a limited basis in the Red/Orange tiers.

For example I believe Cuomo is allowing the Buffalo Bills to accept up to 7,000 (socially distanced, pre-tested) fans in the stadium. But in order for that to happen we would still need to have a drastically improved metrics for ICU admission to even get us back to the start of the color-coding (I.e. back to purple).

Attachments

• 07F8B80E-223B-4238-9EEF-0AD10F9749F2.png
    07F8B80E-223B-4238-9EEF-0AD10F9749F2.png
    491 KB · Views: 52

Darkbeer1

Orange County opens coronavirus vaccinations to anyone 65 and older – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>Any Orange County resident age 65 and older is now eligible to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, county health officials said Tuesday, Jan. 12.

People age 75 and older were recently given preference by the OC Health Care Agency as it starts up the vaccination campaign’s next stage, but after reviewing some alarming statistics on who is hospitalized and in intensive care because of COVID-19, the county’s vaccine task force late Sunday recommended expanding vaccinations to people 65 and older, County Health Officer Dr. Clayton Chau told the Board of Supervisors Tuesday.

Data from about 13 O.C. hospitals, which are providing the bulk of care to COVID-19 patients in the county, showed a majority of people who are hospitalized, as well as most of those requiring intensive care and in need of a ventilator, are 61 or older, Chau said.

As of Sunday, people over 60 accounted for 54% of COVID-19 patients in those hospitals, 72% of those in ICUs, and nearly the same percentage of patients on ventilators, he said. About 75% of O.C. residents who have died of the coronavirus were 65 or older.

“My goal is to make sure that we vaccinate the most vulnerable so we can prevent them from going into the hospital, going into the ICU, and most importantly, prevent them from dying,” Chau said.

On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended in its guidelines the vaccine be made available to those 65 and older and California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said similar state rules could be coming quickly.

For now, Chau is advising people to contact their doctor or health provider to ask about getting inoculated. The county also is urging residents to plan to use a new app it helped develop called Othena, but the app is not yet allowing people to make vaccination appointments.

It was not clear Tuesday when vaccine appointments could be initiated by people who qualify in current phases without an invitation from the OC Health Care Agency’s partner organizations or private providers such as Kaiser Permanente, the county’s largest.<<

TP2000

Original Poster
Orange County opens coronavirus vaccinations to anyone 65 and older – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>Any Orange County resident age 65 and older is now eligible to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, county health officials said Tuesday, Jan. 12.

People age 75 and older were recently given preference by the OC Health Care Agency as it starts up the vaccination campaign’s next stage, but after reviewing some alarming statistics on who is hospitalized and in intensive care because of COVID-19, the county’s vaccine task force late Sunday recommended expanding vaccinations to people 65 and older, County Health Officer Dr. Clayton Chau told the Board of Supervisors Tuesday.

Data from about 13 O.C. hospitals, which are providing the bulk of care to COVID-19 patients in the county, showed a majority of people who are hospitalized, as well as most of those requiring intensive care and in need of a ventilator, are 61 or older, Chau said.

As of Sunday, people over 60 accounted for 54% of COVID-19 patients in those hospitals, 72% of those in ICUs, and nearly the same percentage of patients on ventilators, he said. About 75% of O.C. residents who have died of the coronavirus were 65 or older.

“My goal is to make sure that we vaccinate the most vulnerable so we can prevent them from going into the hospital, going into the ICU, and most importantly, prevent them from dying,” Chau said.

On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended in its guidelines the vaccine be made available to those 65 and older and California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said similar state rules could be coming quickly.

For now, Chau is advising people to contact their doctor or health provider to ask about getting inoculated. The county also is urging residents to plan to use a new app it helped develop called Othena, but the app is not yet allowing people to make vaccination appointments.

It was not clear Tuesday when vaccine appointments could be initiated by people who qualify in current phases without an invitation from the OC Health Care Agency’s partner organizations or private providers such as Kaiser Permanente, the county’s largest.<<

Amazing! Science & Data!

It's the old people who get Covid bad. So vaccinate them first, and forget trying to track what ethnicity they are or if they are a convicted felon or if they work for a chemical company or a non-profit.

Vaccinate the oldest people first, and work your way down by decade to the younger folks. Just ask them to show their driver's license, which is racist I know, but old people don't know that and won't mind showing their ID. Trust me, I know old people and it never dawns on us to consider showing an ID as racist.

This summer when we get down to the 20-somethings we can deal with youngsters who think it's racist to ask for ID. We'll deal with that later, after we've saved a bunch of old people's lives.

Science & Data! Old people first!

And it didn't take a dime of taxpayer money for me to come up with that plan. :cool:

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Changing your covid measures in response to new treatments for the virus would be the logical approach.

But, since this is California and having Disneyland open would cause the virus to spiral out of control regardless of any safety measures, I'm not holding my breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom