Surprise! Red Tier Now Begins Sunday; Downtown Disney Restaurants???

Darkbeer1

Writing his from the 16th Floor of the Flamingo Las Vegas.

Stopped at EddieWorld in Yermo, California's largest Gas Station.

What I found surprised me, something I saw in person a few times when it was being used...

i-FjwH67z-XL.jpg

i-BsNGfxX-XL.jpg

And our Governor still can't get his act together. The mess at the DMV, and now the EDD, and o the aes.

Why is the vaccine rollout so slow in California? Gov. Newsom, we need speed — and answers. (msn.com)

>>Incredibly, however, it wasn’t until this week that Newsom grasped how poorly the state was doing with the rollout so crucial to a resumption of everyday activity. It was only then that state officials broadened those eligible to receive inoculations — which have a short shelf life once they are taken out of freezers — after shots had to be thrown away when some health-care workers declined injections. The Los Angeles Times reported the state never developed a plan on what to do with leftover doses.

But the problems with logistics go far beyond that. Data Friday from a Bloomberg News website tracking the vaccine campaign showed California had administered just 25 percent of the 2.3 million vaccines it had been provided — worse than the national average and far worse than the most efficient states (Connecticut, West Virginia, South Dakota and North Dakota). Meanwhile, in Israel, officials who planned ahead have been administering all vaccines in hand the day they are received.

Newsom vowed Friday that California would speed up vaccinations. But he isn’t displaying enough urgency. Who is? President-elect Joe Biden. His aides said Thursday that he would immediately distribute all vaccines to states as soon as the federal government received them. Locally, UC San Diego Health in partnership with the county announced a plan to vaccinate at least 5,000 people a day in a Petco Park parking lot starting Monday.<<

I liked a Doctor on a News Channel and his strong recommendation.

Make it Simple.

Do it based on age, oldest first. Show an ID with your age, and fall in the upper age limits, you get the vaccine.

Darkbeer1

The LINQ is right next to the Flamingo, where we are staying.

They have a Universal Citywalk type of Promenade where the High Roller is.

But how great would it be to have this at DtD. A Double-Double Combo (#1) is $9 and change. They even have the famous Palm Trees.

i-Wk62wgc-XL.jpg

i-KQmtGJh-XL.jpg

i-RtdWpLK-XL.jpg

i-CFSpvCW-XL.jpg

SoCalMort

Any plans to visit Area15? Free admission, pay per experience.

I'm waiting until Omega Mart, a Meow Wolf installation inside Area15, opens a little ways down the road since Area15's offerings seem a little thin at the moment but since you're already there.... (plus I'd love to hear your impression of the place)

Emmanuel

Johnson & Johnson is expected to file for EUA for their vaccine next month after the data from the 3rd phase testing is complete this month and it shows that the vaccine is safe.

"The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is based on the virus’s genetic instructions for building the spike protein. But unlike the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which store the instructions in single-stranded RNA, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses double-stranded DNA."

"The researchers added the gene for the coronavirus spike protein to another virus called Adenovirus 26. Adenoviruses are common viruses that typically cause colds or flu-like symptoms. The Johnson & Johnson team used a modified adenovirus that can enter cells but can’t replicate inside them or cause illness."

"Adenovirus-based vaccines for Covid-19 are more rugged than mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna. DNA is not as fragile as RNA, and the adenovirus’s tough protein coat helps protect the genetic material inside. As a result, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine can be refrigerated for up to three months at 36–46°F (2–8°C)."

MoonRakerSCM

Eddieworld is worth a little stop when heading out into the desert, good for grabbing a little sack of sweet things for those long hauls out to the middle of nowhere in my 4x4 when rockhounding and exploring old mines. The jerky place that has a kiosk in it is pretty good (almost as good as Mahogany smoked meats in Bishop). In the before time, we ate a couple of personal pizzas from the kitchen there and they were tasty (I asked mine nicely browned and well done and they made it perfect). The view of the Calico hills was great and it was a nice pitstop after camping for a few days in the sticks.

Two things about Eddieworld- the gas is NOT cheaper than in Barstow... it is cheaper than moving forward toward the NV border, but gas is cheaper in Barstow proper. Also, the original Eddieworld in Beatty, NV is terrible compared to the one in Yermo and not worth a stop at all.

Stevek

But how great would it be to have this at DtD. A Double-Double Combo (#1) is $9 and change. They even have the famous Palm Trees.

i-Wk62wgc-XL.jpg

i-KQmtGJh-XL.jpg

i-RtdWpLK-XL.jpg

i-CFSpvCW-XL.jpg
I stayed at the Linq when it was Imperial Palace. Absolute dump, dirt cheap. The one positive was Hash House A Go Go. Delicious.

Stevek

Writing his from the 16th Floor of the Flamingo Las Vegas.

Stopped at EddieWorld in Yermo, California's largest Gas Station.

What I found surprised me, something I saw in person a few times when it was being used...

i-FjwH67z-XL.jpg

i-BsNGfxX-XL.jpg
Good old Eddie World. We've stopped there on our last couple trips to get some candy and a chocolate shake. My father in law, who we have zero contact with, has a thrift store in Yermo not far from Eddie World.

Darkbeer1

Gavin Newsom’s elitism is crushing ordinary Californians – Orange County Register (ocregister.com)

>>My mom, newly divorced in the early 1960s, moved us out West when she was told California was where she could make a new start. There was plenty of housing and jobs; more than any other place, California had a spirit that welcomed new ideas, energy, and gave those that wanted to succeed a chance.

This was the California I grew up in.

Mike Learakos remembers it the same way. Mike is the owner and operator of Orange’s Katella Family Grill and executive director of Waste Not OC Coalition, a food recovery nonprofit. His father started the family in the restaurant business decades ago when they ran the Spires located where Katella Grill stands today.

Mike, who is a lifelong resident of Orange, says his dad’s business strategy was pretty simple: have a quality product, provide quality service, make sure you are part of the community, and take care of your employees. Mike has continued that tradition under his watch. And yes, there was a time in California’s history when you could be a successful business owner with that philosophy. Sadly, I wonder if that time has passed.

I saw the grief and worry in Mike’s eyes when I watched a Facebook video he recently posted. It spelled out what this last restaurant shut down might do to his family business and their staff. He spoke about wanting to keep his employees and long-time customer’s safe, and how his staff didn’t want a hand out, they wanted to work. Mike and his employees pivoted and started making and selling tamales through the holiday season. And the Orange community responded. Selling out in just days, they were even able to hire workers laid off from other restaurants. People were ordering and waiting days to get their tamales, some buying and donating them to those in need.

I am not sure if tamales are on the menu at the French Laundry but I find the comparison striking.

An unintended consequence of this pandemic is the magnification of the differences between the elitists in Sacramento and the rest of us. While Orange residents were spending $25 for a dozen tamales to keep a community champion and his staff working, Gov. Gavin Newsom was celebrating the birthday of a lobbyist friend at one of the most expensive restaurants in California, in violation of his own restrictive guidelines.

A dinner for two at the French Laundry can run upwards of $1,000, with the special white truffle and caviar dinner going for $1,200 per person. There is an arrogance about telling families not to gather together for the holidays and keeping thousands upon thousands of people from working all while dining with Sacramento insiders at an elite establishment in wine country.

Gov. Newsom, with his ever-changing pandemic goal posts, doesn’t seem to understand or care about the businesses that make up our local economy and keep our families employed.<<

More at the link

Darkbeer1

And yet the proportion of staff laid off at Disneyland was not greater than Walt Disney World...

>>The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that Disney may move select office divisions from California to Orlando, Florida. The report, which acknowledges that nothing is official, says Disney is considering moving some divisions to the Lake Nona area just east of Walt Disney World.

Disney responded with the following statement when asked about the move by the Orlando Business Journal.

“As the largest employer in Central Florida, we are always exploring opportunities for additional locations within the vicinity of our theme park, but there is nothing concrete.”
Disney shifting some departments to the Orlando area wouldn’t come as a big surprise. Beyond the current turmoil with California over the opening status of Disneyland, the state of Florida may be viewed as more business friendly. Disney may be looking to optimize every financial angle it can at a time when revenue has slowed or dried up in most of its segments.<<

Disney in Talks to Move Some Operations From CA to FL | Inside the Magic

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

>>The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that Disney may move select office divisions from California to Orlando, Florida. The report, which acknowledges that nothing is official, says Disney is considering moving some divisions to the Lake Nona area just east of Walt Disney World.

Disney responded with the following statement when asked about the move by the Orlando Business Journal.

Disney shifting some departments to the Orlando area wouldn’t come as a big surprise. Beyond the current turmoil with California over the opening status of Disneyland, the state of Florida may be viewed as more business friendly. Disney may be looking to optimize every financial angle it can at a time when revenue has slowed or dried up in most of its segments.<<

Disney in Talks to Move Some Operations From CA to FL | Inside the Magic

'Just east' is laughable. I mean it's still a 30-45 minute drive from Lake Nona to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom