Sup with these new ugly magic band boxes?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I got my magic bands in the Incredibles box last time, but I am trying to remember, did they come in larger box, or were the shrink wrapped?

The Incredibles box was packed inside a cardboard mailing box.

As @EOD K9 stated, it's just a box....

Didn't know people were selling the old boxes on eBay. I recently threw out a dozen of them. I could have made money, maybe enough to pay for my trip to Disney. ;)

BAChicagoGal

The box was nice, but I did not keep any of them, and I had about three, Yes, three vacations with magic bands. Talk about recycling. I live in a building with 6 other people, and I am the only one who recycles. Everyone else is much too lazy to sort out the recycle stuff.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a box. It's for mailing. If you want a souvenir box to store your MagicBands/MagicPucks in, I'm sure there's something appropriate at your local Disney store or perhaps the World of Disney...

Aren't they something like records?

You've completely missed the boat on why they even did this in the first place.

I guess people take for granted now the impact apple and other championed that brought the term "unboxing experience" into the lexicon.

The shioment was to project innovation , tech, personalization, quality, and generate excitement for your trip. Same reason the conpant sends glossy, higher cost cards, etc and not just a simple teletype message. Your materials are part of what you project.

I think disney should have worked more on reducing duplication rather than cutting across the board.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In my opinion it's a shame they moved away from the old box design.

I recall reading the big deal with the ones was the environmental sustainability (ease of recycling) and I'm sure cost was a factor.

But the old box was an experience. It was like opening an Apple product.

Good product packaging enhances the experience with the product itself.

When our bands would arrive before, it was exciting, the entire family would comment on how nice the packaging was and how Apple like the opening experience was.

They still could have improved the sustainability AND kept a similar experience.

Now it feels cheap and half baked.

Yup... exactly what it intended to do!

MonorailCoral

Oh, the horror! :joyfull:

Heck, my old boxes weren't even recycled...They were thrown right into the trash with all my other cardboard and garbage which is burned as fuel at the local transfer station to heat water and generate steam, turning turbines attached to generators and sending electricity back into the grid.

On the other hand, had they been "recycled", they would have gone to the recycling plant which draws a large demand on the electrical grid, requiring more fossil fuels to be burned at the power plant to account for the lack of power re-generation at the transfer station.

Throw them away! You are helping the environment. :p

Last edited:

Cookie Galore

I understand the waste factor arguments but I really liked the old boxes. I'm glad I saved some. Like others, we also keep small Disney trinkets in them including pins and Magicbands that still look nice. I was disappointed the first time we received the newer box style. It's not super important but a nice presentation just feels good to me. Interesting that they made the Magicbands themselves bulkier yet made the packaging smaller. Although if I recall correctly the box changed at the end of 2016 and the new band didn't roll out until January 2017.

rocketraccoon

Cost + Wastefulness I imagine. The old boxes were fairly huge and thick, and if you didn't have 5 MagicBands or whatever the max per box was it got real obvious, especially when you consider that they came inside of another box as well. The old boxes looked much nicer and felt much more premium of course, but I imagine the new boxes cut down waste considerably.

But also cost.

No Name

This is less wasteful. Happy Earth Day.

I did think the old box was fantastic, and gave you the feeling of opening something precious, something important. They put fairly cheap and non-delicate bands on a similar pedestal as expensive, delicate Apple products. That was impressive.

But I'll trade the extra "wow" for more environmentally friendly and less costly packaging.

Animaniac93-98

If Disney really wanted to reduce waste, they'd simply have all guests pick up their Magic Bands upon arrival, or send an email in advance asking if they would like to reuse a band from a previous trip [do they do that?].

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom