Sup with these new ugly magic band boxes?

Jess G

Original Poster
First off: Yayyy I got my MBs! Not complaining but this is not attractive packaging. Its obviously just another way to cut costs but gosh it doesn't even compare to the old ones lol

Old:
0422170932b.jpg

New:
0422170932.jpg

0422170932a.jpg

Side by side:
0422170933.jpg

NearTheEars

I'm almost positive this is partly because some groups were saying Disney were being wasteful with so much product wrapping. The old boxes use to be even bigger, too. (and it's cheaper)

Exactly what I thought. When they initially rolled out, folks here immediately complained that the packaging was excessive and a huge waste of money just for a ticket medium.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm almost positive this is partly because some groups were saying Disney were being wasteful with so much product wrapping. The old boxes use to be even bigger, too. (and it's cheaper)

I got my magic bands in the Incredibles box last time, but I am trying to remember, did they come in larger box, or were the shrink wrapped?

Jess G

Original Poster
Cutting cost/saving material I get it. Like I said - not complaining. Just happy I saved a couple old ones. I had no clue my magic bands were in there when I got it in the mail lol.

Creathir

In my opinion it's a shame they moved away from the old box design.

I recall reading the big deal with the ones was the environmental sustainability (ease of recycling) and I'm sure cost was a factor.

But the old box was an experience. It was like opening an Apple product.

Good product packaging enhances the experience with the product itself.

When our bands would arrive before, it was exciting, the entire family would comment on how nice the packaging was and how Apple like the opening experience was.

They still could have improved the sustainability AND kept a similar experience.

Now it feels cheap and half baked.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
In my opinion it's a shame they moved away from the old box design.

I recall reading the big deal with the ones was the environmental sustainability (ease of recycling) and I'm sure cost was a factor.

But the old box was an experience. It was like opening an Apple product.

Good product packaging enhances the experience with the product itself.

When our bands would arrive before, it was exciting, the entire family would comment on how nice the packaging was and how Apple like the opening experience was.

They still could have improved the sustainability AND kept a similar experience.

Now it feels cheap and half baked.
Blame it on the commoditization of the whole Disney experience.

Creathir

Blame it on the commoditization of the whole Disney experience.
I blame it on someone being cheap and lazy.

Likely cost cutting.

The problem is, they want to appeal to the upper income brackets obviously with their pricing structures.

That's fine, but understand premium prices demand premium experiences.

Little things like the box your magic band come in go a long way to furthering that premium brand experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom