summer in disney

momof three

we are looking at going june 2-10 i was wondering how bad it is during this week. how are the crowds? never gone in the summer and and trying to prepare myself. and i know it will be hot but how hot does it really get? is it bearable or is it horrible. please tell me the truth i am trying to prepare my trip and need to know how to plan. thanks

ThinkTink721

I am a mom of three too!
I have been in June twice & I will say that it is hot.
Be sure to pack plenty of sunscreen, sleeveless or short sleeve shirts, & shorts.
Also, take breaks out of the sun or take a dip in the pool.
As far as crowds go, it is busy, but not unmanageable.
Are you doing the DDP?
:wave:

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

The heat tolerance depends on where you live. It was 83 and sunny today (South Florida), and I felt that it was fairly cool because of the lower humidity and lack 90 degree temps. June is usually hot in Central Florida, but it can be grueling for a Northerner. The crowds are usually pretty tight, as school is out in many areas and people begin their Summer vacations. Keep in mind that it is impossible to predict the crowds for any given time within a particular year.

Upvote 0

MissM

I live in Florida and yes, summer is miserable, sweltering, blisteringly hot here. The air is actually heavy and has a thickens and a weight to it. You will sweat like mad. You will burn to a crisp if you don't wear sunscreen and a hat. (Don't forget places like the tops of your feet if wearing sandals!) You can easily get dehydrated, cranky and lightheaded if you're out in the heat and sun all day without breaks so don't try to rush things or push yourself too hard.

Please stay hydrated (water not soda!), wear sunglasses, and take frequent breaks in air conditioning. (Even walking into a shop for a few minutes helps.)

And don't forget the sunscreen!

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
We went in the first two weeks of June a couple of years back. From what I can remember, the first week was very pleasant in terms of crowds, but once that second week hit, there seemed to be an exponential growth in numbers...

As for the heat, it didn't bother me much, but it wasn't too much hotter than in Georgia where we came from. But if you're from the North, the combination of heat and humidity in Central Florida can be a killer. You really should have a great time though, just keep up with your fluids and don't feel bad about taking a rest in the shade every now and then.....:wave:

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

I live in Florida and yes, summer is miserable, sweltering, blisteringly hot here. The air is actually heavy and has a thickens and a weight to it. You will sweat like mad. You will burn to a crisp if you don't wear sunscreen and a hat. (Don't forget places like the tops of your feet if wearing sandals!) You can easily get dehydrated, cranky and lightheaded if you're out in the heat and sun all day without breaks so don't try to rush things or push yourself too hard.

Please stay hydrated (water not soda!), wear sunglasses, and take frequent breaks in air conditioning. (Even walking into a shop for a few minutes helps.)

And don't forget the sunscreen!

Shh... you're going to scare away all of the tourists, and we'll get stuck with a State income tax! :)

Upvote 0

MissM

Shh... you're going to scare away all of the tourists, and we'll get stuck with a State income tax! :)
:lol: Yeah and they might start coming in other times of the year when the Florida residents peak out from our air conditioned, hermetically sealed homes. :D

Upvote 0

momof three

Original Poster
i am doing ddp and i am not looking foward to the heat but do not want my kids to miss school. is it any better to go in may? i didn't think a couple of weeks would make a difference. hopefully it is not to bad and we miss the crowds going beginning of june when a lot of schools are still in. and i am from ohio so i am sure the huminity is going to hit me hard! my kids are 7,4, and 2 do you think they will be able to handle the heat or is going to be to much for them? and will they be able to ride rides in a managable time or is ti just rediculous? i know you can't tell me for sure just looking from past years examples.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

We went this past summer in the middle of June.

First, I want to say that we have rainy summers. Random summer showers. Often times, it may be hot at lunch but rain in the early afternoon making late afternoon and evenings easily bearable. As others have said, it depends on your tolerance/whiney level ;) On our trip, it rained EVERYDAY around 1pm. That was AWESOME!! Not only did it cool the day, all of the tourists left the parks lol. Crowds weren't anywhere near as bad as I expected them to be. It really wasn't so much HOT but SUNNY. There was alot of sun.

Just go expecting shoulder to shoulder crowds, horrid heat, rain all day, and to be miserable. That way, when it's a lot better, you'll love it lol

Upvote 0

lebeau

I'm looking at least a couple years out. But my thought is that I won't want to take my oldest daughter out of school. So I'm probably going to be limited to time when school is out. Our school tends to start later than a lot of others (late Aug). So it's possible to go after most schools have gone back. But I'm worried that will be unbearably hot. On the other end of the summer is late May/early June. I figure it'll be either right after school lets out or right before it starts up again. No way I'm going in the middle of summer!

Upvote 0

momof three

Original Poster
so june is hot!! so would the first week of may be any different crowd wise and heat wise just wondered? concedering it might be worth taking my child out of school for a week if it does make a difference..

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

As I stated previously, it is impossible to predict Florida weather for any given year. We had very cold weather last Winter, which would have ruined the plans of anyone coming for warmth in January and February. Our "cold" weather usually lasts for a few days as cold fronts push through the State, but last winter the colder temperatures were here for a more sustained period of time. It was very much unusual. Generally speaking, the beginning of May will be cooler than the beginning of June. A great deal of this is reliant upon the weather patterns at the time, and they are nearly impossible to predict in a tropical climate such as ours. For instance, a couple of weeks ago we set a record for the daytime high (as a low) of about 67 degrees. I can not remember the last time that the temperature hit a high in the 60's within the month of November where I live. This would have, of course, soured the plans of someone who had meticulously planned a trip to South Florida for a hot day at the beach. I am more accustomed to highs near 80 at Christmas (I live South of WDW). If you are a Northerner, you will have to judge your own tolerance for heat, and plan your trip accordingly. I would suggest that you do an internet search on average daily temperatures in the Kissimmee/St.Cloud/Lake Buena Vista area for the past few years, and then do a search on any long term forecasts for the same area. Those forecasts will not be altogether accurate, but they will give you a sense of what is generally expected. What you can expect is that the level of humidity will rise with each month, and that does make a big difference in comfort. Best wishes on your planning.

Upvote 0

ddbowdoin

we are looking at going june 2-10 i was wondering how bad it is during this week. how are the crowds? never gone in the summer and and trying to prepare myself. and i know it will be hot but how hot does it really get? is it bearable or is it horrible. please tell me the truth i am trying to prepare my trip and need to know how to plan. thanks

IT IS HOT! I am a yankee from MA so I'm not used to that kind of humidity. I was down this past May and it was about 70-80% humidity. Now, that didn't bother me because I actually like a good sweat (helps you sweat out some alcohol toxins from the night before!) so it wasn't a major issue on my end. I was also the donkey of the trip so I had the backpack and all the crap my gf needed.

The crowds are pretty busy... I didn't mind it though. My last trip (May 2010) was my first time at Disney with FastPass. Wow, that made a HUGE difference. In an entire week I only waiting in one line for 60 min's, the rest were 15-20 mins max, despite the large crowds.

Upvote 0

erstwo

We went that exact same week last year (2009). And it was hot. We had to go take naps in the afternoon, which was a first for us. And it wasn't just the kids who needed a nap! :lol:

As for crowds, that is the end of Star Wars Weekends, so DHS will be crowded Friday, Saturday, Sunday (June 2,3,4) but we went during the Star Wars Weekend and had a great time seeing all the tourists and locals in costumes, the special Star Wars parade, etc. It is also Gay Days that weekend (June 2,3,4,5) but that had no impact on our trip at all. The one piece of advice we followed was to avoid the MK on that Saturday (it will be Saturday the 4th for you) because that is the most crowded day of Gay Days (makes sense - it's the most popular park and I'm sure a lot of people come down just for the weekend, etc.) As I said though, it had zero impact on our trip otherwise! I thought the crowds were just "medium" sized. It wasn't empty in the parks, but other than those 2 weekend events, it wasn't crowded either.

Hope you have a great trip, whenever you decide to go!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

R W B

I went this past July (4th-10th) and it was hot, i mean really hot...to most other people but since I was born and raised in New Orleans it felt like home if not a little cooler, lol. I noticed alot of people drinking all the time and noticed the crowds kinda got a little smaller around noonish, the hottest part of the day. It did rain at random times thou but once again I'm use to that and it did help cool things off a bit. All in all if you can handel the heat and sweating the whole day, you should be fine. As far as kids go, just make sure they drink plenty. Have fun!

Upvote 0

happymom52003

This year we were at WDW from May 29-June 4, then back again on June 8th after taking a Disney Cruise.

Crowd wise....5/29-6/4 was not bad at all. Moderate crowds, and very tolerable for me (and I hate crowds at WDW!!). Even Memorial Day was fine (in fact, it was our least crowded day at the MK). However, June 8th the crowd levels had reached a point that I personally can't tolerate. I suspect the crowd level started to rise the weekend of June 5th because so many school let out after the first week of June.

Heat wise....for me, it was bad enough that I have sworn off summer trips to WDW (and this is coming from a 5th generation Texan, so I am used to heat!). We usually take the kids out of school for our trips, but this year we wanted to do a cruise as well so we decided to wait until they were out of school. From now on, we will take them out of school, or just go during spring break when/if our oldest reaches a point where the missed school work would not be worth it. We are fortunate that our school is okay with families taking kids out for vacations.

Obviously many people can tolerate the heat, and some even like it. I really wish I was one of them! But, I'm not. As much as I love WDW, I'm just not the type who can say "Being at WDW in the extreme heat is better than not being there at all". A WDW vacation costs way too much money to not fully enjoy it...and for me personally, I can't fully enjoy it when the heat is that bad!

Upvote 0

NedFlanders

June can be extremely hot... it isn't the temp that gets you though it is the humidity along with the temp that makes it feel even hotter than it is.

We live in an area that gets hot in the summer but our heat is not nearly as humid. Our trip in June resulted in lots of photos of our kids looking bright red with their mouths open looking like they were about to drop over from the heat.

If you decide to go the key is to plan to go to the parks early and then plan to leave from about 1 to 4 to return to your hotel for the pool or disneyquest... then plan on going back in the evening.

Also remember to pack for the afternoon monsoon that will happen host days for about 10 minutes of massive rain (have to keep the humidity up somehow).

It is still enjoyable but you have to be ready for it.... and if you have babies, I would suggest you pick a different time. Nothing annoys me more than seeing some couple dragging around an infant that looks like it is about to have a heat stroke... borders on child abuse.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom