Studios Expansion?

Mansion Butler

I've never heard about the blue-sky ideas for the Studios, but from the first time I visited, it just seemed very random. There is no easy way to navigate it, there's no symmetry anywhere, and the whole front area is consumed by that big pond with nothing in it, or around it really...

I'm curious as to why it's laid-out the way it is.

Hold on to your seat: because it WAS a hidden mickey.

we all said years ago that epcot was the one that really needed the TLC and they got it. I think it is just a matter of time before the studios will get theirs', and it all has started with the addition of Toy Story Mania!!!

It did?

dizneycrazy09

Original Poster
So other than Star Tours 2.0 . . . what major attractions are being developed for the Studios? Is the removal of the Backlot Tour for Pixar Place the next project?

wickedfan07

While I know this won't happen, I still think preserving a bit of the Backlot area as a walking area with smaller attractions would be a much better approach. Keep catastrophe canyon with maybe another section as a ride through. Do a live action version of the Animation Tour. Add some small rides for good measure, and keep it as "the Backlot". I think feeling like you are actually on a studio backlot with streetmosphere and areas to explore could be very successful. It also would take SIGNIFICANTLY less time (if you want) and space, so another expansion plot could be opened.

That is an excellent idea. Why is it that each attraction is an experience in itself, but no one ever tries to connect these experiences together or make them come alive. You can put people into an immersive experience without special effects, flashing lights, motion simulators, big movie screens. Just let people explore on their own.

Lee

Adventurer
I loved the Backlot Tour back when it was an hour-long, two-part (riding and walking) experience.
Now...not so much...

TTATraveler

I loved the Backlot Tour back when it was an hour-long, two-part (riding and walking) experience.
Now...not so much...

Back in MGM's heyday, when they actually were animating and producing films/shows. I too miss the original backlot tour that started where the current entrance to the Animation tour is. Are the the former walking parts still in tact (i.e. the creature shop, etc.)?

Epcot82Guy

I do think it was a bit much when it first opened, but that was from a kid's perspective. I think there would be a great happy medium between that tour and what we "have" now. I really hope MGM maintains some of its studio feel and appeal, but I think that can be accomplished in other ways.

Tom Morrow

Back in MGM's heyday, when they actually were animating and producing films/shows. I too miss the original backlot tour that started where the current entrance to the Animation tour is. Are the the former walking parts still in tact (i.e. the creature shop, etc.)?
It is, up until the tour bridge to Soundstage 1. The walkways are still there and everything. However, they would require a lot of work to be turned back into a walking tour.

rdp

While on paper (or in photos) expansion looks feasible, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen.

The original park and permiable space (areas where water can go...not concrete or asphalt...trees and grass) was set in the originally SFWMD permit and is EXTEMELY difficult to change (not that it can't be done, but very, very challenging, even more so than putting up or taking down the wand!:ROFLOL: )

Right now the Studio has about 2 acres left to play with for new paved areas and that's it!

Mansion Butler

MGM doesnt' immediately need to expand anyway. It needs to do more with the space it has. It has plenty of room for all new stuff. Attractions that could be outright eliminated, as well as those that already have been. I've got to believe that's on the drawing board, since it's not like Disney to cling to old stuff, whether it es people off or not.

I don't think many people will be ed off at MGM.

jt04

While on paper (or in photos) expansion looks feasible, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen.

The original park and permiable space (areas where water can go...not concrete or asphalt...trees and grass) was set in the originally SFWMD permit and is EXTEMELY difficult to change (not that it can't be done, but very, very challenging, even more so than putting up or taking down the wand!:ROFLOL: )

Right now the Studio has about 2 acres left to play with for new paved areas and that's it!

Another reason to build Universal Studios style parking, then there would be more than enough room to expand

jt04

I don't think Disney will ever build a parking garage on WDW property.

I think they might already have one at the Studios for Cast parking backstage. Plus it would not have to be near the size of US which has to handle two parks, Citywalk AND concerts/special events and now BMG. Disney could easily add a parking garage for the Studios IMHO.

Mansion Butler

I think they might already have one at the Studios for Cast parking backstage. Plus it would not have to be near the size of US which has to handle two parks, Citywalk AND concerts/special events and now BMG. Disney could easily add a parking garage for the Studios IMHO.

I'd be shocked if I've missed a parking garage all this time. I'll ask my roommate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom