Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

SnarkyMonkey

Cool pic!

So are the rumors still having them cement over Echo Lake for Star Wars? If so that's really extremely disappointing to me. The plans better be knock me out wonderful to justify cementing over the lake and ripping out that area.

Where did you hear this rumor? It's new to me. I hope it is wrong also.

RayTheFirefly

So are the rumors still having them cement over Echo Lake for Star Wars? If so that's really extremely disappointing to me. The plans better be knock me out wonderful to justify cementing over the lake and ripping out that area.
Knowing the way Florida Water Management works, I don't see them doing that. They'd have to add another retaining pond nearby to compensate for the loss of it, and that sounds like more pain than it would be worth. It's probably safe.

GrumpyFan

Knowing the way Florida Water Management works, I don't see them doing that. They'd have to add another retaining pond nearby to compensate for the loss of it, and that sounds like more pain than it would be worth. It's probably safe.

I wouldn't count on it. If you look at the history of WDW, they've done this sort of thing MANY times over.
However, I'm not sure if that is a "natural" pond though. It appears to have a concrete bottom, which would categorize it like a pool or decorative feature they built, meaning they can pretty much do whatever they want with it.

RayTheFirefly

I wouldn't count on it. If you look at the history of WDW, they've done this sort of thing MANY times over.
However, I'm not sure if that is a "natural" pond though. It appears to have a concrete bottom, which would categorize it like a pool or decorative feature they built, meaning they can pretty much do whatever they want with it.
I considered the concrete thing right after I posted it. You may be right about that.

Just curious, what other non-concrete ponds (lol) have they filled in/moved? I haven't been following this stuff long enough, haha.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Nothing has to be destroyed, moved, closed, or filled in.

OvQHxfn.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'll bet it's muppet vision safe. Especially considering the fact that Disney just started to re-vamp them up and they're having a good bit of success actually! :)

Yet in Cali they have said muppets maybe gone for good since its been temp reskinned for frozen and has been playing other things more than the muppets over the last few years.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would think the biggest savior of echo lake is the two high volume dining locations that face it. Disney won't close those without replacements nearly ready... And what would happen that space w/o echo lake?

roj2323

Nothing has to be destroyed, moved, closed, or filled in.

OvQHxfn.png
This isn't happening. The park is short on parking as it is, besides the area where back lot tour, lma, streets of America and possibly even Muppets is larger. If you add in Echo Lake it's like one third or one half of the park They can completely replace. Either way it's not like it'll be cheap

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Knowing the way Florida Water Management works, I don't see them doing that. They'd have to add another retaining pond nearby to compensate for the loss of it, and that sounds like more pain than it would be worth. It's probably safe. It'd also be the biggest "F U" to the hidden Mickey yet.

This came up before so I checked the permits for the construction of DHS and I don't see any evidence that the lake is part of the storm water management system.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This isn't happening. The park is short on parking as it is, besides the area where back lot tour, lma, streets of America and possibly even Muppets is larger. If you add in Echo Lake it's like one third or one half of the park They can completely replace. Either way it's not like it'll be cheap
You're wrong. It might not be exactly as my 30-second "Paint" diagram shows, but they're not tearing down half the park to rebuild the same half of the park. This is an "expansion." They're not going to operate DHS with three attractions for several years.

doctornick

I would think the biggest savior of echo lake is the two high volume dining locations that face it. Disney won't close those without replacements nearly ready... And what would happen that space w/o echo lake?

Yeah, I find it hard to see them get rid of H&V and Prime Time Cafe. And the lake not only provides a needed water feature, but acts as a physical barrier between Hollywood Blvd and the land that would potentially be Star Wars. I can totally see replacing the IJ stunt show and even using the AIE/Sounds Dangerous buildings for Star Wars stuff -- for the latter, it might be best to combine the two buildings and have an entrance from Sounds Dangerous so that it would be fully part of the Star Wars land.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Yeah, I find it hard to see them get rid of H&V and Prime Time Cafe. And the lake not only provides a needed water feature, but acts as a physical barrier between Hollywood Blvd and the land that would potentially be Star Wars. I can totally see replacing the IJ stunt show and even using the AIE/Sounds Dangerous buildings for Star Wars stuff -- for the latter, it might be best to combine the two buildings and have an entrance from Sounds Dangerous so that it would be fully part of the Star Wars land.
That would pull Star Wars all the way forward to Hollywood Boulevard. Disney's model is to generally put all of their headliners in the back corners of each park so that guests have to pass the A- B- and C-ticket attractions on their way to them. I don't see the Star Wars Land being right on top of the entrance to the park like that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That would pull Star Wars all the way forward to Hollywood Boulevard. Disney's model is to generally put all of their headliners in the back corners of each park so that guests have to pass the A- B- and C-ticket attractions on their way to them

Well Castle parks intrinsically have a setback due to main street but not necessarily a pass attraction model. DL certainly has examples like Tomorrowland. TDS, WDSP don't have this either... and DHS is more shaped historically due to the studio concept.

roj2323

You're wrong. It might not be exactly as my 30-second "Paint" diagram shows, but they're not tearing down half the park to rebuild the same half of the park. This is an "expansion." They're not going to operate DHS with three attractions for several years.

Look i'm not saying they would do it all at once, but your 30 second MSpaint diagram bulldozes through 2 incredibly important pieces of infrastructure, Costuming and 2,600 cast parking spaces. Personally I do not see disney spending 40+ million on building a parking garage and another 4-10million on rebuilding the costuming building when they can close off areas of the park that are currently unused like Echo lake for example without spending a fortune relocating basic services. Another area they could completely close off is everything between Toy story and Studio catering company (SCC). Actually they could close off SCC and still leave access for the monsters meet and greet and Honey I Shrunk the kids play area from Streets of America. This onstage area combined with the multiple acres off stage behind it would be plenty for a multitude of new attractions.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Look i'm not saying they would do it all at once, but your 30 second MSpaint diagram bulldozes through 2 incredibly important pieces of infrastructure, Costuming and 2,600 cast parking spaces. Personally I do not see disney spending 40+ million on building a parking garage and another 4-10million on rebuilding the costuming building when they can close off areas of the park that are currently unused like Echo lake for example without spending a fortune relocating basic services. Another area they could completely close off is everything between Toy story and Studio catering company (SCC). Actually they could close off SCC and still leave access for the monsters meet and greet and Honey I Shrunk the kids play area from Streets of America. This onstage area combined with the multiple acres off stage behind it would be plenty for a multitude of new attractions.
Neither costuming nor cast parking are "incredibly important pieces of infrastructure." Yes, those things need to exist, but they can exist literally anywhere. The roads and parking at DHS are being reworked independently of Star Wars or anything else for two main reasons.

1. Capacity- Busy days have guests parking at Epcot and getting shuttled over and that's not a viable long-term solution if and when the park expands and attendance increases.

2. Efficiency- The left turn from Buena Vista Drive into Studio Drive and the DHS parking kiosk is a nightmare. They can't get cars through fast enough in what was not really intended to be the park's main entrance. For safety reasons, they often have to wave cars through the kiosk without paying because they can't have traffic backed up onto Buena Vista when the lights change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom