Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

FoozieBear

I don't buy their argument they want to make sure the movie is successful. It's something that they can throw out there that 'makes sense' but it probably masks the fact that they just don't want to spend money when they 'don't have to'. A Star Wars Land will generate huge interest, regardless of a film. Even if no film was coming out the land would be popular and make money. Is it *guaranteed*. No, of course not, but there's no reward without risk. Of course, TDO believes the opposite and people paying what they do and still going proves to them they don't have to take risks.

They don't need to make sure the new movie is successful. Star Wars lives on and would still make money even if Disney wasn't working on a new film. I just think the plans aren't ready yet, and they are waiting for the best time to announce it.

Matt_Black

In a related vein, I think they want to see what aspects of the film really click with audiences so they can tailor plans to that. If the X-Wing scenes are the most popular, we'll probably get an X-Wing ride. No sense in making "Big Alien Desert Play Area" if people think that's the worst part of the film.

Kman101

They don't need to make sure the new movie is successful. Star Wars lives on and would still make money even if Disney wasn't working on a new film. I just think the plans aren't ready yet, and they are waiting for the best time to announce it.

Oh I know they don't need to make sure the movie is successful. That's what I was trying to say.

I'm sure they'll spend the money on it. I'm not trying to be "ugh they're cheap and awful" but we all know they have had plans, many plans, and COULD have greenlit something already. They're stalling for one reason and saying it's another. IMO.

And it's been said on here plans are being re-worked from where they were 6 months ago. And that DHS will have larger plans than DL (which is shocking to me for a change). I just didn't like the initial stance of "wanting to make sure the movie does well" (which is what Spirit has implied as has others, probably Dave). It seems like they want it to be one thing but it's actually another.

SJN1279

While that's a fair point, the talent behind the camera looks to be good. J.J. Abrams is a good choice for kicking the franchise off (I've heard him described as great with build-up, not so great with pay-off), and the director who did the critically acclaimed Looper is following him.

The main problem with the prequels is that George Lucas didn't have anyone around to tell him no or "Seriously, George, that idea is really, REALLY stupid." To use another franchise as an example, after Raiders of the Lost Ark, Last Crusade is THE best Indiana Jones film, and a lot of that is due to the relationship between Indy and his father. It was Spielberg who pushed for that.

I actually enjoyed Last Crusade much more than Raiders.

Pinhead

There's a lot of relocation that has to happen before they can develop the space in the Backlot. Costuming, etc. LMA can operate pretty much right until the bulldozers show up. That, and as has been mentioned, they need people eaters.
Well, I doubt that the decision-makers read these posts for suggestions, but it seems to me that moving the Indy Jones Stunt Show to the Backlot would be a reasonable option. It's a reliable people eater, wouldn't cost all that much, and must be fiscally smarter than leaving that space idle until the bigger budget for more Pixar rides becomes available five years from now. In the meantime, Star Wars can expand into the current Indy space. IMHO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nothing has to close. No lakes have to be filled.

Remove the Backlot Express. There's your corridor to the expanded Star Wars Universe, behind Indy. Where they've planned park expansion since day one.

Continue Into the parking lot for phase two if needed.

And then put more things to do with an unrelated IP (!) into the existing sound and television theatres.

FoozieBear

On the topic of the Star Wars themed area, where do you think it would be expanding? I think it's more likely to head in the way of Indy, but do you think Muppet-Vision is safe?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
On the topic of the Star Wars themed area, where do you think it would be expanding? I think it's more likely to head in the way of Indy, but do you think Muppet-Vision is safe?

I'll bet it's muppet vision safe. Especially considering the fact that Disney just started to re-vamp them up and they're having a good bit of success actually! :)

FoozieBear

I'll bet it's muppet vision safe. Especially considering the fact that Disney just started to re-vamp them up and they're having a good bit of success actually! :)

I think so too. I think they'd be quicker to get rid of an Indy stage show against an entire themed area of a bunch of characters they're currently pouring time and money into making successful again.

POLY LOVER

lets see what they are losing when they close the backlot. Lets keep in Mind its HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS, so they lose the Disaster Canyon , the area that they displayed some great memorabillia from the classic movies. The bone yard, walts plane. The harbor attack, People like the backlot aspect so they need to retain some of that feel. I'm sure its going to be pixar related in some way. I will miss the tour it was nice. I think they are losing touch. They should really direct some attention to the animatronics in the great movie ride.

Goofyernmost

lets see what they are losing when they close the backlot. Lets keep in Mind its HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS, so they lose the Disaster Canyon , the area that they displayed some great memorabillia from the classic movies. The bone yard, walts plane. The harbor attack, People like the backlot aspect so they need to retain some of that feel. I'm sure its going to be pixar related in some way. I will miss the tour it was nice. I think they are losing touch. They should really direct some attention to the animatronics in the great movie ride.
Catastrophe Canyon is very old with a lot of very expensive equipment needed to keep it running. It was never billed as anything big or a must see. It was just part of the backlot tour. The residential street had a lot of familiar facade houses, but, they were just duplicates of the ones that one might remember from TV or movies. The Bone yard was always a laugh for me. Granted I don't go to a lot of movies, but, in spite of taking the tram ride about a gazillion times, there was not one single prop that I recognized. In most cases I wasn't even familiar with the movies that they mentioned. It was a fake backlot from the very beginning.

I doubt if Walt's plane will be harmed in any way. It might be moved to a different place in the resort, but it will remain for as long as there is a memory of who Walt Disney was and what he accomplished.

Cesar R M

they could just set up a lot of these memorabilia in stands near the shops, just like in magic kingdom.

JWG

Remove the Backlot Express. There's your corridor to the expanded Star Wars Universe, behind Indy. Where they've planned park expansion since day one.

And then put more things to do with an unrelated IP (!) into the existing sound and television theatres.

Umm... add without subraction? That kind of logic will get your fired from Disney sir!
:D

matt9112

or burn them to the ground.

Kman101

So are the rumors still having them cement over Echo Lake for Star Wars? If so that's really extremely disappointing to me. The plans better be knock me out wonderful to justify cementing over the lake and ripping out that area.

roj2323

So are the rumors still having them cement over Echo Lake for Star Wars? If so that's really extremely disappointing to me. The plans better be knock me out wonderful to justify cementing over the lake and ripping out that area.
Absolutely nothing has been confirmed other than the statement that star wars will have an increased presence in the theme parks.

Shanksterr

IMG_245140167180417.jpeg
Saw these pics on Hoot Wilson's FB today
Says he saw them in a scrap yard
IMG_245153213937912.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom