Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

BrerJon

I suspect it's not closing to make way for anything, just to cut costs and free up space for construction workers while they turn Soundstage 1 into the Toy Story Mania extension.

On the other hand, in the last few weeks we've had Frozen replacing Maelstrom, Frozen gift shop replacing the AFI, and Frozen Singalong Theater replacing American Idol.

Maybe the crazy short notice on this is because a proper full Frozen land is also coming here, and they need to get started quick?

I would be ironic if the park is renamed Disney's Frozen Studios just at the point where it's starting to not be.

SirNim

I don't think, in 15 years, there will be any attractions based in reality at WDW anymore.

Studio Backlot Tour (even the shell that remained of it) - gone. Reality is being phased out, because the reality of the world in which we live no longer deserves to be romanticized.

Our world gets harsher and harsher, darker and darker by the day. Or at least, that's the message that's being sent by these recent changes.

By phasing out all the attractions based in the reality of the world (i.e. most of Future World over the past 15 years, Maelstrom, Studio Backlot Tour), the entirety of WDW will be Fantasyland. Tomorrowland became Fantasyland East, remember? It's only a matter of time before Epcot, TPFKaD-MGMS&DHS, and heck, even the Animal Kingdom (off to a good start with Avatarland), all combined together, become Fantasyland South.

I'm left to believe that the electorate, voting with their wallets, is a bunch of magic junkies that need their fix, 24/7, to escape the reality of this world.

All the parks should be renamed Magic Kingdom to reflect this. The original, Magic Kingdom North.

Epcot will become Magic Kingdom East.

Animal Kingdom will become Magic Kingdom West.

And TPFKaD-MGMS&DHS may as well be renamed Magic Kingdom South. (pardon the geographical inconsistencies, I'm merely trying to make a point ;) )

Last edited:

SoccerMickey

About time this was finally shuttered....it is long past it*s originally intended purpose.
Enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day in those first few years after the Park first opened, when it was a actual real functioning Studio.

Over the years the Backlot Tour has been chipped away ...but there were still bits that were interesting to see.
Last time i experienced the Attraction it was a disappointing shell of it*s former days, but Walt*s airplane was still great to see in person.
I do hope that will be moved to a better location now where it will be more visible.
Perhaps place it on the old airstrip over near MK...

The board is set ....and the pieces are moving.

I would not expect to see anything major going here....just a *quick fix*.
I can totally believe the TS Playland-like rumors.
DHS own version of *Dino-Rama*....yeah...i can see placement there.
As much as fans would love to see something major, from my perspective i see something coming on a much smaller scale.
Might still be charming...and fit the areas theme....and would likely be a welcome addition to typical casual Guests.
The thing about Toy Story Playland, which I think the same goes for Flik's Fun Fair, is that all three attractions combined does not have the capacity that BLT has. At least there will be a lot of oversized props for Photopass people can take your picture with.

Next Big Thing

7887019364_b2ec77951f_z.jpg
Last I checked, Disney makes a pretty penny off of the F&W, F&G, and renting out the building. So they DO make money from WoL still. They can't really do the same with BLT.

PeterAlt

It has been officially confirmed internally that the Studio Backlot Tour will be closing forever on September 27, 2014 to make way for something new in the near future. What will this involve? That's something we will need to figure out, but it will take time...
Let me guess... Does it starter with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far away..."?

If not, it will become ghetto like EPCOT is today.

FigmentForver96

Let me guess... Does it starter with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far away..."?

Would Disney want to put Star Wars all the way into that part of the park? No doubt Star Wars is going to take up a large amount of land, but I don't see it being this land. I'm thinking Pixar if they do anything with it.

PhotoDave219

So the plan is to close the Backlot Tour, one of the worst attractions at WDW, and build a bunch of lightly-themed carnival rides?

Classic TDO move!

What a waste if true.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. I haven't heard anything about carnival rides.

In other interesting news… I had a brand-new source suggested that lights, motors, action… Is just simply not long for this world.

PeterAlt

Would Disney want to put Star Wars all the way into that part of the park? No doubt Star Wars is going to take up a large amount of land, but I don't see it being this land. I'm thinking Pixar if they do anything with it.
If the rumors of it starting in Tomorrowland in California and ending in Toontown are true, then I can see this happening at HS... Starting near Star Tours and taking you over to where the backlot your currently is.

PeterAlt

I thought the plans were to move to Toontown not go from Tomorrowland to Toontown? Either way a lot of land of true. I mean that would have Star Wars covering a third of the park! Heck lets put Frozen in the top half and Hollywood in the bottom and we can have "Frozen Hollywood in a Galaxy Far Far Away" theme park.
The sad part about your post is someone at TDO probably read it and said to him or herself "not a bad idea..." Be careful of the bad ideas that could be read by someone at TDO who might think they're good ones!

TalkingHead

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. I haven't heard anything about carnival rides.

In other interesting news… I had a brand-new source suggested that lights, motors, action… Is just simply not long for this world.

Just based on the online chatter.

Is Toy Story Playland more than carnival rides?

Either way, until WDW builds something ambitious, the closure of a beaten-down attraction means very little.

As for LMA, it's been rumored to be closing for a long time. One of @whylightbulb posts years ago mentioned said the LMA was imminent and strongly implied it was being replaced by Cars Land.

Whatever. Noles won and Gators lost. Maybe someday WDW will figure out which end is up.

PhotoDave219

Just based on the online chatter.

Is Toy Story Playland more than carnival rides?

Either way, until WDW builds something ambitious, the closure of a beaten-down attraction means very little.

As for LMA, it's been rumored to be closing for a long time. One of @whylightbulb posts years ago mentioned said the LMA was imminent and strongly implied it was being replaced by Cars Land.

Whatever. Noles won and Gators lost. Maybe someday WDW will figure out which end is up.

Online chatter? Is this the same "Believe in Epcot" nonsense? I put little stock in "chatter".....

I have zero details on TS Playland. Can't rule anything in or out. Hardly gonna think they're gonna do a carnival thing again, given the hate for Dinoland as well as the rumored makeover of the studios. I think that area will be Pixar related and god knows that spot needs some children's rides.

As for LMA, restart that rumor again.

And Clemson gonna clemson.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom