Stroller Troubles

Gabe1124

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that they use when their little ones don't want to sit in the stroller. We are going in mid december with our soon-to-be 3 year old (turns 3 in January) and she is not a big fan of sitting in the stroller. I was just wondering if any other parents have run into this issue and have any alternatives or solutions to getting your child to sit in the stroller. Thanks for the help!

ToTBellHop

If a child is willing to walk instead of ride in a stroller, why not let them? They'll sit down in it when they get tired. If you're worried about them running off, invest in one of those little child leashes.

Personally, we took our youngest when she was barely four, and she walked all day, every day (except for a 2-hour afternoon nap), with no stroller needed and no complaints. Of course, there is a big difference between a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old, but there's absolutely no touring advantage to confining your child in a stroller if they don't want to be there.
Agreed--and one nice thing nowadays as opposed to even a few years ago is the number of stroller "parking lots." Bring the stroller for when the kid wants to relax, but otherwise, park it in one of the "lots" and leave it there for a few hours so you can go on rides. No need to continually move it. It'll be there when you need it. Just cover it with a rain guard just in case if it's summer!

Upvote 0

Uncle Remus

I am indeed persistent in not believing in beating children. I would love to understand the difference between beating and spanking. Go "spank" a complete stranger (adult) in public and see what the police officers call it.

Why some view it as acceptable to do to (innocent?) children what would land you in prison as a felon if performed on an adult is difficult for me to imagine. But, you are free to your old-fashioned ways until liberals take over and make it illegal.

Beating leaves marks. Beating is violent. Beating results in injury. When a kid gets older grounding and taking away privileges is obviously more effective. Adults have the ability to reason. Adults get fired or divorced for not doing the right thing. Adults have prison. Some adults do however deserve to have their kicked from time to time. Let me catch you breaking into my house and you'll see. I also won't be in trouble with the law for it either. So I don't imagine a police officer would have much to say about that. Also I would never spank someone elses kid so the stranger analogy isn't an exact parallel anyway.

Spanking is a light tap to get the attention of the recipient in a non violent manner when they may not be able to grasp the full understanding of words. Or if the recipient doesn't take heed to words and constantly pushes their limit until met with an absolute. Its a difference of opinion is all.

I also don't feel one way applies to every child. Take my siblings and I for example. My youngest sister received one spanking in her entire life. She was 4. She was pitching a fit in a shoe store after my mother had exhausted all other options. She immediately snapped to and never had another incident. Except for that one moment she never needed a spanking. She was a near perfect child and is now a near perfect adult. I probably had a dozen spankings or so. Nothing traumatic. No marks left. All for different incidents never to be repeated again. My other sister was a holy terror. It wasn't until my parents started spanking her that she became a well behaved kid. She doesn't believe in spanking and her kids are the two worse children I've ever met. I love them but they are tough to be around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dadddio

We have a 3yo and a 4yo. we rent an off-site double stroller while at WDW. They can ride in the stroller or walk. It's pretty much their choice as long as they don't try to run away from us as I am way to old and broken for that game.

Our kids usually like their 'leash' backpacks. My son's is a Mickey Mouse that is peeking over his shoulder. It's super cute.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The 1960s would like its parenting strategies back.

In 2014 America, I would say, like others--let her walk and enjoy the freedom that comes with leaving the stroller behind :) A backpack leash is a possibility for high-traffic areas, though most 3-year olds don't need them by that age. Fantasyland around 10 am can get pretty stressful, though...hopefully she's a pretty good listener.
So you probably don't approve of bamboo shoots under fingernails then......

Upvote 0

TaraWdopeyfan

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that they use when their little ones don't want to sit in the stroller. We are going in mid december with our soon-to-be 3 year old (turns 3 in January) and she is not a big fan of sitting in the stroller. I was just wondering if any other parents have run into this issue and have any alternatives or solutions to getting your child to sit in the stroller. Thanks for the help!

I have a 3 yr old. She hates being in a stroller so we let her walk, but we do take our Umbrella Stroller so if she gets tired she can sit down or take a nap in it. Better to have it than not, and because it's the smaller stroller a lot easier to move around.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

I've seen these cool new-fangled strollers (relatively speaking as we've not needed one for 12-13 years) that look like there's a skateboard attached to the back. Shoot! I'm 40 and I want that ride! They look like fun. Maybe something like that would work because it's a fun upright ride but still have the option of a place to sit or nap.

Gosh, thinking of strollers and the like.... Wouldn't it be COOL to show up pushing your kiddo in a vintage Taylor Tot???? In case you aren't familiar, they're old-school convertible stroller/walker things. Here's one:

image.jpg

The bottom foot tray and handle assembly come off to make it a walker. I have a refurbished one, actually. Definitely not practical but swag level 9000 if you stroll Main Street with one of these babies!

Upvote 0

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
By three, our children were walking period. When they would get too tired I would usually carry them for a bit to rest their legs and/or do as others have mentioned get them into a show or long-duration attraction to give them a bit of rest. Neither of my children were the type that wanted to be pushed around, in fact we encouraged the opposite but planned on some downtime when little legs got tired.

Upvote 0

Uncle Remus

I've seen these cool new-fangled strollers (relatively speaking as we've not needed one for 12-13 years) that look like there's a skateboard attached to the back. Shoot! I'm 40 and I want that ride! They look like fun. Maybe something like that would work because it's a fun upright ride but still have the option of a place to sit or nap.

Gosh, thinking of strollers and the like.... Wouldn't it be COOL to show up pushing your kiddo in a vintage Taylor Tot???? In case you aren't familiar, they're old-school convertible stroller/walker things. Here's one:

View attachment 57853

The bottom foot tray and handle assembly come off to make it a walker. I have a refurbished one, actually. Definitely not practical but swag level 9000 if you stroll Main Street with one of these babies!

That is awesome. I've never seen one of those before.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have a 3 yr old. She hates being in a stroller so we let her walk, but we do take our Umbrella Stroller so if she gets tired she can sit down or take a nap in it. Better to have it than not, and because it's the smaller stroller a lot easier to move around.

You could always leave tired children at Guest Services. They HAVE to care for them. It's the law in Reedy Creek.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom