Stroller Troubles

Gabe1124

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that they use when their little ones don't want to sit in the stroller. We are going in mid december with our soon-to-be 3 year old (turns 3 in January) and she is not a big fan of sitting in the stroller. I was just wondering if any other parents have run into this issue and have any alternatives or solutions to getting your child to sit in the stroller. Thanks for the help!

Runmyhorse

Beating leaves marks. Beating is violent. Beating results in injury. When a kid gets older grounding and taking away privileges is obviously more effective. Adults have the ability to reason. Adults get fired or divorced for not doing the right thing. Adults have prison. Some adults do however deserve to have their kicked from time to time. Let me catch you breaking into my house and you'll see. I also won't be in trouble with the law for it either. So I don't imagine a police officer would have much to say about that. Also I would never spank someone elses kid so the stranger analogy isn't an exact parallel anyway.

Spanking is a light tap to get the attention of the recipient in a non violent manner when they may not be able to grasp the full understanding of words. Or if the recipient doesn't take heed to words and constantly pushes their limit until met with an absolute. Its a difference of opinion is all.

I also don't feel one way applies to every child. Take my siblings and I for example. My youngest sister received one spanking in her entire life. She was 4. She was pitching a fit in a shoe store after my mother had exhausted all other options. She immediately snapped to and never had another incident. Except for that one moment she never needed a spanking. She was a near perfect child and is now a near perfect adult. I probably had a dozen spankings or so. Nothing traumatic. No marks left. All for different incidents never to be repeated again. My other sister was a holy terror. It wasn't until my parents started spanking her that she became a well behaved kid. She doesn't believe in spanking and her kids are the two worse children I've ever met. I love them but they are tough to be around.

I found what you said to be a joke. Come on folks calm down. He believes /parents his way and other other ways. This Thread Has Taken A Major Detour.

Upvote 0

Sparkle81

I agree with others on here in that if your child wants to walk, there's no point you all getting stressed with getting them into a stroller. We'll be hiring a stroller, but expect our 3 year old to walk to majority of the time. However, it will be there if he gets tired, or if he needs a nap (which we're expecting whilst he adjusts to the time difference). Just look at it this why- if your little one walks a lot, it'll tire them out and they'll sleep well at night ;)

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I found what you said to be a joke. Come on folks calm down. He believes /parents his way and other other ways. This Thread Has Taken A Major Detour.
I'm sure similar discussions took place 100 years ago at people joking over 12-year olds working in factories.

Some things we joke about. Beating children is not one of them. What else shall we joke about? Rape, murder and syphillis?

Upvote 0

docdebbi

i agree with the poster above, one of my daughter's boys does not like the stroller, wants out before he is in. often fight with him (we win), but at huge parks, we let him be out if he behaves, and eventually when his little one year old legs get tired enough and we say to being carried, he rides.
amazing how that works!

Upvote 0

fugawe09

I would say let the kid walk if they want to walk. If you find out end of day 1 that a stroller is needed, then rent one. But honestly, I have seen strollers be a point of frustration for a lot of families, manhandling them onto monorails and through crowds. If you can save the hassle, why not? I think the key to remember is that when you take a child to Disney, it has to be about taking a child to Disney. Meaning that if junior needs an afternoon nap, go back to the room and take one. I've seen too many families power through a day of misery because mom and dad made it about the adults seeing everything.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I would say let the kid walk if they want to walk. If you find out end of day 1 that a stroller is needed, then rent one. But honestly, I have seen strollers be a point of frustration for a lot of families, manhandling them onto monorails and through crowds. If you can save the hassle, why not? I think the key to remember is that when you take a child to Disney, it has to be about taking a child to Disney. Meaning that if junior needs an afternoon nap, go back to the room and take one. I've seen too many families power through a day of misery because mom and dad made it about the adults seeing everything.
Not for nothing, I can use an afternoon nap every day at WDW! Adults seem to get just as cranky as kids during hot, crowded afternoons in the parks.

Upvote 0

Runmyhorse

I'm sure similar discussions took place 100 years ago at people joking over 12-year olds working in factories.

Some things we joke about. Beating children is not one of them. What else shall we joke about? Rape, murder and syphillis?

He never stated beating a child. You have way to much time on your hands. I have been around kids who were beat on and I have been around kids spanked. There is a huge difference. You can go preach some where else with that. This right here is what is wrong with our youth. Look at today kids and kids from back in the days. There is a major difference in their behavior. I wonder why that is???

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

He never stated beating a child. You have way to much time on your hands. I have been around kids who were beat on and I have been around kids spanked. There is a huge difference. You can go preach some where else with that. This right here is what is wrong with our youth. Look at today kids and kids from back in the days. There is a major difference in their behavior. I wonder why that is???
I would hazard that any problems with today's youth is not due to lack of beatings. There must be a happy medium between overindulging children and hitting them.

From a psychological standpoint, spanking and beating children is equally damning. And they actually promote violent behavior in adulthood. There are far more effective punishment strategies--or at least so say the experts.

And to be fair, adults have always complained about "these kids today." That's nothing new. Kids have always done obnoxious things and taken pleasure in breaking rules. It's part of their development. Unless you beat it out of them.

Upvote 0

Wildflower

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any alternatives that they use when their little ones don't want to sit in the stroller. We are going in mid december with our soon-to-be 3 year old (turns 3 in January) and she is not a big fan of sitting in the stroller. I was just wondering if any other parents have run into this issue and have any alternatives or solutions to getting your child to sit in the stroller. Thanks for the help!
We bring an umbrella stroller for our 3yo...if he feels like walking, it's not onerous, and can ride if/when tired. Additionally, if we are in a situation where we "need" him to ride for a short bit (crowded or need to move more quickly, etc), we give him the incentive of getting to hold the park map but only while he stays seated.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

When we took our 4 year old grandchild we got a stroller for every day. He would sit in it when he wanted and walk when he wanted. In between he was on my shoulders. I told him that when his legs get tired let me know and I would put him on my shoulders. So his legs go tired as soon as we walk out hotel room door. I would carry him to the bus stop. From the bus stop to the part entrance then into stroller. I said that you just like riding on my shoulders not that you were tired. He would answer in that little voice that my legs are really tired. Some of the best memories.

Attachments

• IMG_1307.JPG
    IMG_1307.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0

Runmyhorse

I would hazard that any problems with today's youth is not due to lack of beatings. There must be a happy medium between overindulging children and hitting them.

From a psychological standpoint, spanking and beating children is equally damning. And they actually promote violent behavior in adulthood. There are far more effective punishment strategies--or at least so say the experts.

And to be fair, adults have always complained about "these kids today." That's nothing new. Kids have always done obnoxious things and taken pleasure in breaking rules. It's part of their development. Unless you beat it out of them.

I will just agree to disagree. I and my brothers had spanking and are fair from violent. Actually we are very well mannered and let people walk over the top of us. We weren't beat. Never had a mark on us. Kids are way different then what they use to be.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I think it is a personal choice on stroller or no stroller. I would say bring one or be prepared at larger parks to rent one. Probably would be handy at Epcot since there is a lot of walking. The one thing we noticed a LOT of this trip was the children the strollers were meant for were the ones pushing the stroller....while this might be cute during a walk down the street...this is NOT cute during a walk down Main St. USA in the middle of the day in the summer. So, if you opt for the walking please have an adult that can see what's going on in front of them do the stroller pushing. It will help keep EVERYONE happier ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom