'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

mickEblu

A Disney movie failing so badly really is a puzzle, which is why this thread is so interesting.

Personally I still put 50% of the blame on horrible advertising, 30% of the blame on D+, 15% of the blame on bad word of mouth, and 5% on everything else (inclusion, actors, etc).

The gay crush or “controversial” actors (most of us have never heard of) probably had very little to do with this movie tanking but it’s more interesting than talking about marketing.

I’m going…

40% for the inclusion stuff. (Remember this didn’t happen over night. People opposed noticed a trend the last few years but especially after Lightyear.)

20 % Bad Marketing

30 % People waiting for steaming

10% it wasn’t a great movie

I know we ve all pretty much succumbed to the notion that this movie had bad marketing but I saw a decent number of ads pop up on YouTube and there was a giant billboard near my sons school. I don’t watch a whole lot of TV though. It seems like the marketing wasn’t great but not quite as bad as we’ve made it out to be.

Last edited:

jeangreyforever

I’m going…

40% for the inclusion stuff. (Remember this didn’t happen over night. People opposed noticed a trend the last few years but especially after Lightyear.)

20 % Bad Marketing

I know we ve all pretty much succumbed to the notion that this movie had bad marketing but I saw a decent number of ads pop up on YouTube and there was a giant billboard near my sons school. I don’t watch a whole lot of TV though. It seems like the marketing wasn’t great but not quite as bad as we’ve made it out to be.
I definitely agree with the 40%. The fact that Disney is a punchline even to an Argentinian (football?) team shows what the world really thinks of Disney product now.

I also didn't see any marketing for this movie at all. I saw promos for Lightyear and Turning Red everywhere. Those are Pixar releases, but even Encanto I saw stuff for unlike with this movie. Which tells me Disney didn't even bother to promote it because they knew they had a stinker.

TP2000

I’m going…

20 % Bad Marketing

I wanna play too!

After spending weeks here on this thread when I should have been organizing kitchen drawers and deciding on Wow Statement! wallpaper for the powder room in my new home, I am going to go with the following percentages for why Strange World is going down as one of the most disastrous big budget movies in Walt Disney Animation history...

40% Bad Marketing (But why was there bad marketing on purpose from a company with unlimited resources? See below.)

25% Audience Trained By Burbank To Wait For Disney+ To See It "For Free"

20% Fake Inclusion, Mandated By HR Instead Of Blended In Organically By Professional Storytellers

10% It Wasn't A Very Good Movie

5% Frumpy, Bigoted, Midwest Moms Who Are Now On Defense For Anything Disney. AKA, Jaboukie And His Latest Dance Single! :cool: 🕺

mickEblu

I wanna play too!

After spending weeks here on this thread when I should have been organizing kitchen drawers and deciding on Wow Statement! wallpaper for the powder room in my new home, I am going to go with the following percentages for why Strange World is going down as one of the most disastrous big budget movies in Walt Disney Animation history...

40% Bad Marketing (But why was there bad marketing on purpose from a company with unlimited resources?)

25% Audience Trained By Burbank To Wait For Disney+ To See It "For Free"

20% Fake Inclusion, Mandated By HR Instead Of Blended In Organically By Professional Storytellers

10% It Wasn't A Very Good Movie

5% Frumpy, Bigoted, Midwest Moms Who Are Now On Defense For Anything Disney. AKA, Jaboukie And His Latest Dance Single! :cool: 🕺

Very close. Just looks like our bad marketing and inclusion percentages are switched. Let’s meet in the middle at 30 %?

TP2000

Very close. Just looks like our bad marketing and inclusion percentages are switched. Let’s meet in the middle at 30 %?

It's a deal. 30% Done!

But can you now select a Wow Statement! wallpaper for my guest powder room?

tempaper-wallpaper-rolls-cr448-64_600.jpg

emerald-gold-agate-wallpaper.jpg

WindermereBloom-Original-hero-lores.jpg

TP2000

Lol They re all nice but I think I’m going with # 1. What color is the countertop?

Black marble, with wire-brushed black wood cabinetry, but white bowl sink and commode. Brushed bronze fixtures. Dark grey hardwood floor. Matte black lighting sconces framing the bronze framed mirror.

I'm actually deciding between #1 and #2 (no pun intended), but I'm leaning towards #1 as well.

I'm obviously very busy, so why do I spend so much time here chatting?

mickEblu

Black marble, with black wood cabinetry, but white bowl sink and commode. Brushed bronze fixtures. Dark grey hardwood floor. Matte black lighting sconces framing the bronze framed mirror.

I'm actually deciding between #1 and #2 (no pun intended), but I'm leaning towards #1 as well.

I'm obviously very busy, so why do I spend so much time here chatting?

Yeah # 1 final answer. #2 is beautiful but I’d imagine it would have to be a pretty big powder room to fully appreciate that print.

Vegas Disney Fan

he
It's a deal. 30% Done!

But can you now select a Wow Statement! wallpaper for my guest powder room?

tempaper-wallpaper-rolls-cr448-64_600.jpg

emerald-gold-agate-wallpaper.jpg

WindermereBloom-Original-hero-lores.jpg
I vote for 3 but I’m an old guy with an unhealthy Disney fandom so my taste is probably questionable. I’m picturing a standard size powder room so #1 being so dark may make the room look like a cave, #2 may be too bold for a small space and overpower if, #3 is elegant and light but also one of those patterns I think you’ll see something new in every time you look at it.

When I first bought my house I went with pretty bold colors but over the last decade most of the walls have been repainted Greige (gray beige), not as striking but I find it much easier to decorate around a neutral color.

Prince-1

Only scoreboard that matters, especially for a public company, is box office dollars. Can't manufacture it. Can't hide it. Can't spin it.

That's OK, we're now one week away from the film being "discovered" and "beloved" on Disney+! Trust us! They LOVE it!!!

You must have a lot of time on your hands to continue to worry about a film that bombed but at the end of the day does not affect you or me or anyone on this site at all.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't a "power room" considered a "half bath" in realtor speak? Bathroom with toilet & sink no shower or tub.
It may be in realtor speak, but, in the old days, "powder room" was one of the many euphemisms for the room in which bodily excretions took place, especially for the ladies. They're only refreshing their make-up, certainly not doing anything else a refined person might imagine!!

It joins the long list of euphemisms:
Rest room​
Mens/Ladies room​
Wash room​
Lavatory​
Bath room​
Water Closet [which required its own euphemism: W.C.]​
Comfort Station​
Latrine​

Heppenheimer

It may be in realtor speak, but, in the old days, "powder room" was one of the many euphemisms for the room in which bodily excretions took place, especially for the ladies. They're only refreshing their make-up, certainly not doing anything else a refined person might imagine!!

Rest room​
Mens/Ladies room​
Wash room​
Lavatory​
Bath room​
Comfort Station​
Latrine​
One of the effects of spending several years in a language environment other than your native tongue, is that you tend to unintentionally calque phrases and word usage back into your birth language. Hence, I just call the whole room a "toilet" now.

Back to the movie and percentages, since we'll probably see Strange World sooner rather than later on Disney+. My estimation of what I'll think of it:

70%- I'll find the movie OK, worth a watch, but it will probably join a string of recent Disney and Pixar animated films as a one-and-done watch.

20%- It will actively not enjoy it, either due to plotting, insufferabley annoying characters (there seem to be more and more of these recently in movies and TV, particularly from the Mouse House), my general disinterest in science fiction. The "diversity dictates" of modern films bother me less, with the exception of historically-based (or informed) entertainment, if it spoils the realism.

7%- I will quite enjoy the film and it will enter the usual rotation of Disney films that get shown in my house.

3%- I will completely despise the film to such a degree that I can't even finish it.

Phroobar

Rest room​
Mens/Ladies room​
Wash room​
Lavatory​
Bath room​
Comfort Station​
Latrine​
iu

LittleBuford

Rest room​
Mens/Ladies room​
Wash room​
Lavatory​
Bath room​
Comfort Station​
Latrine​
Not to mention the word “toilet” itself.

LittleBuford

One of the effects of spending several years in a language environment other than your native tongue, is that you tend to unintentionally calque phrases and word usage back into your birth language.
If I recall correctly, you've spent some time in Germany. It's interesting to note that the comma you've used in this sentence (separating a subject phrase from the verb) is very Germanic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom