'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Phroobar

Box office is out for today. Going into its second weekend, Strange World has just dropped again, from yesterday's 4th place to 5th place. Strange World dropped the most week to week than any other film in the top 20, down 85%.

It's still in 4,174 theaters, but the historical and religious Christmas-themed film I Heard The Bells previewing in only 474 theaters seems to have the momentum going into Strange World's second weekend.

The legs on Strange World seem very, very short now. Burbank has heard the bells, indeed. 🔔

View attachment 682506
Weird that someone would want to see a Christmas movie this time of year.
I Heard the Bells is pretty highly rated.

TP2000

Weird that someone would want to see a Christmas movie this time of year.
I Heard the Bells is pretty highly rated.

I'm not a movie guy, so I hadn't heard of it. But when I just Googled it, it sounded absolutely fascinating! I love historical stuff and period pieces, if they are done really well.

It's rated PG-13 due to the violence shown in the Civil War scenes (and scandalously inappropriate pipe smoking!), but otherwise it seems a good movie for families with older children.

Phroobar

I'm not a movie guy, so I hadn't heard of it. But when I just Googled it, it sounded absolutely fascinating! I love historical stuff and period pieces, if they are done really well.

It's rated PG-13 due to the violence shown in the Civil War scenes (and scandalously inappropriate pipe smoking!), but otherwise it seems a good movie for families with older children.
I watched the trailer too. It actually looks pretty good. I like historical movies.

_caleb

Only slightly relevant, but I remember Jack Black talking about promoting Kung Fu Panda in Asian countries where the film was dubbed by someone else. It is absurd.
I don't fund it absurd. Asian audiences know Jack Black from other films so he was a celebrity endorsement. Also, his physicality likely went into some of the character design and animation, so in some ways the character was based on him (even if the dialog they heard was someone else).

RobWDW1971

The complete audience rejection of this movie continues and it is setting (unfortunate) records at the box office (all numbers in today's dollars).

Deadline: "Disney’s Strange World at 4,174 locations with $1.08M Friday and a second weekend of $4.4M, off 64%, for a running total of $25M." Some other sites have it estimated at approximately $5M, but the story is the same.

If that forecast holds, that would mean:

- Tied for the biggest second weekend drop for a (non-covid) Disney animated title in history at 64% with "Lightyear" (not a good trend)
- Lowest weekend box office for a movie on over 4,000 screens ever at $4.4M (even "The Nut Job 2:Nutty By Nature" did $6.2M, down 39% in its second weekend)

For perspective on historic Disney box office bombs' second weekends:

- Strange World: Down 64%, $4.4M
- Mars Needs Moms: Down 23%, $7.0M
- Treasure Planet: Down 54%, $9.1M
- Home on the Range: Down 42%, $12.8
- Lone Ranger: Down 61%, $15M
- Lightyear: Down 64%, $18M
- John Carter: Down 55%, $18M
- Chicken Little: Down 21%, $48M

With the lowest CinemaScore in the history of Disney animation, the film continues to generate no positive buzz/world of mouth from those who have seen it and will assuredly be unceremoniously dumped on Disney+ in the next couple of weeks.

_caleb

The complete audience rejection of this movie continues and it is setting (unfortunate) records at the box office (all numbers in today's dollars).

Deadline: "Disney’s Strange World at 4,174 locations with $1.08M Friday and a second weekend of $4.4M, off 64%, for a running total of $25M." Some other sites have it estimated at approximately $5M, but the story is the same.

- Tied for the biggest second weekend drop for a (non-covid) Disney animated title in history at 64% with "Lightyear" (not a good trend)
- Lowest weekend box office for a movie on over 4,000 screens ever at $4.4M (even "The Nut Job 2:Nutty By Nature" did $6.2M, down 39% in its second weekend)

With the lowest CinemaScore in the history of Disney animation, the film continues to generate no positive buzz/world of mouth from those who have seen it and will assuredly be unceremoniously dumped on Disney+ in the next couple of weeks.
Congratulations!

Prince-1

That’s a lot of words being written from you just to point out a movie didn’t succeed at the box office. I’d say it’s almost comical.

Last edited:
As expected with the lowest CinemaScore in the history of Disney animation, the forecast for Strange World's second weekend looks bleak. This is why studios focus so strongly on the exit scores as they historically are a strong predictor of whether a film will have sustained legs or quickly disappear.

Even with no new family films entering the marketplace, Box Office Pro has a weekend on 4,000+ screens of only $5.9M or a drop of 50%+ off of its historically poor opening. Note that Box Office Pro has overestimated this film's performance at every stage to date as expectations for this film have no floor.

#resoundingsuccess
What matters is they made the film and checked some boxes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You did it!! Woohooo!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's amazing that people running the company (and some fans) don't have common sense. It was obvious that this film would be bad and also do bad.

Is Disney giving the overly positive people free stays on the Starcruiser? In one of it's many empty rooms, that they can't give away.
Wow, that's far, far off topic.

TwilightZone

I am sure things behind the scenes right now aren't very happy go lucky. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some restructuring planned because of this movie's failure.
I don't know how well puss in boots will do, but it already has the advantage of good word of mouth from those who saw its test screening, not sure if that's enough to "scare" Disney, but enough to at least take note of.

TP2000

Final domestic box office numbers are in for Sunday, its full second weekend. Strange World dropped the most week-to-week of any movie in the top 10. Strange World just passed the $25 Million mark 12 days after its release.

Foreign box office (with a few small countries not yet reporting this weekend) now gives Strange World a global total of $42 Million. Off of a production budget of $180 Million.

2ndWeekend!.jpg

TP2000

That’s a lot of word being written from you just to point out a movie didn’t succeed at the box office. I’d say it’s almost comical.

I doubt the many people who depend on the movie industry for their jobs and livelihoods find it comical. Especially since Strange World's utter financial failure arrived during the corporate environment of crisis and worry in Burbank right now.

The Black Cauldron made $21 million domestically in 1985 dollars.

Strange World is doing worse.

Adjusted for inflation, The Black Cauldron did $58 Million in domestic box office in 2022 dollars.

After 12 days in theaters, Strange World has done less than half of that at $25 Million. 🧐

I am sure things behind the scenes right now aren't very happy go lucky. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some restructuring planned because of this movie's failure.

Agreed.

Bob Iger has a lot to worry about in what's left of '22, and much to work on in '23. After the financial failure of multiple animated films from Pixar and Disney the last 15 months, all of which cost between $150 Million and $200 Million just to produce, I can't help but wonder what the future is for the two separate flagship animation studios Disney owns.

Lightyear was merely a big disappointment financially. Strange World is something different, a historical failure. Its historically awful financial failure couldn't have come at a worse time, just after a CEO coup when senior executives are being asked to look at every company division with a magnifying glass to make cuts and layoffs staff reductions. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom