'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

The complete audience rejection of this movie continues and it is setting (unfortunate) records at the box office (all numbers in today's dollars).

When you put all the box office stats in today's dollars, it really paints a very clear picture on Strange World.

Money talks.

For perspective on historic Disney box office bombs' second weekends:

- Strange World: Down 64%, $4.4M
- Mars Needs Moms: Down 23%, $7.0M
- Treasure Planet: Down 54%, $9.1M
- Home on the Range: Down 42%, $12.8
- Lone Ranger: Down 61%, $15M
- Lightyear: Down 64%, $18M
- John Carter: Down 55%, $18M
- Chicken Little: Down 21%, $48M

I mean, just look at those second weekend numbers for previous Disney films that were "bombs". Strange World got less than $5 Million this second weekend, and that makes turkeys like John Carter and Home On The Range look like Frozen by comparison! Heck, Chicken Little looks like Star Wars or Titanic compared to Strange World. o_O

What on earth convinced Burbank to not market Strange World? To not release the toys and merch they created for Strange World into Target and WalMart toy shelves the weeks before Christmas? To bury any Social Media mentions of Strange World in the weeks leading up to its release in 4,174 theaters?

There's gotta be a really good story there! I'd love to hear the business strategy behind those purposeful decisions to bury Strange World and just torch $150 Million dollars at a time of corporate crisis, wouldn't you? 🤔⁉️

TwilightZone

There's gotta be a really good story there! I'd love to hear the business strategy behind those purposeful decisions to bury Strange World and just torch $150 Million dollars at a time of corporate crisis, wouldn't you? 🤔⁉️
It's all so strange. My theory about firing all the good marketers is one thing, but the fact there's no known merch is strange. Lightyear had merch, Encanto had merch, Raya had merch. Why doesn't strange world?

As far as I can tell, these might be the only pieces of strange world merch...ever
1670194645455.png

1670194670819.png

1670194733390.png

1670194746932.png

Note the websites. Could not find a Target or Walmart listing...

EDIT: Found some target ones...not sure if they are sold in store, but they do list them.
1670194886059.png

1670194900579.png

1670194916747.png

1670194927524.png

Selection_184.png

Walmart.com also has a couple...but walmart.com in my experiences also sells some "sketchy" stuff. I'd take it with a bit of a grain of salt.

It does prove how generic the name is because no matter the website, the results are mixed in with unrelated books.

Attachments

• 1670194955240.png
    1670194955240.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

TP2000

It's all so strange. My theory about firing all the good marketers is one thing, but the fact there's no known merch is strange. Lightyear had merch, Encanto had merch, Raya had merch. Why doesn't strange world?

As far as I can tell, these might be the only pieces of strange world merch...ever
View attachment 683038
View attachment 683039
View attachment 683040
View attachment 683041

EDIT: Found some target ones...not sure if they are sold in store, but they do list them.
View attachment 683042
View attachment 683043
View attachment 683044
View attachment 683045
View attachment 683046

Walmart.com also has a couple...but walmart.com in my experiences also sells some "sketchy" stuff. I'd take it with a bit of a grain of salt.

It does prove how generic the name is because no matter the website, the results are mixed in with unrelated books.

Exactly. A few weeks ago in this thread we discussed it a bit: I found nothing at a large suburban Target for Strange World, so I asked a perky Target girl about it, and she was happy to look up on her pad. She told me none of it was available in stores, but on Target.com there were some t-shirts and stuff online.

As you can see, Disney's Consumer Products division designed and produced a range of toys and clothing, books and merch, for Strange World. But none of it went to stores in the days before the films release and the weeks of the busy Christmas shopping season.

The toys and books and children's t-shirts for Strange World were all purposely buried, just like its marketing. That is truly bizarre. I mean, Burbank didn't even try! On purpose.

I don't think I've ever seen Disney do anything like this ever before with a mega-budget tentpole film. And at Thanksgiving in 4,174 theaters! o_O o_O o_O

TwilightZone

Exactly. A few weeks ago in this thread we discussed it a bit: I found nothing at a large suburban Target for Strange World, so I asked a perky Target girl about it, and she was happy to look up on her pad. She told me none of it was available in stores, but on Target.com there were some t-shirts and stuff online.

As you can see, Disney's Consumer Products division designed and produced a range of toys and clothing, books and merch, for Strange World. But none of it went to stores in the days before the films release and the weeks of the busy Christmas shopping season.

The toys and books and children's t-shirts for Strange World were all purposely buried, just like its marketing. That is truly bizarre. I mean, Burbank didn't even try! On purpose.

I don't think I've ever seen Disney do anything like this ever before with a mega-budget tentpole film. And at Thanksgiving in 4,174 theaters! o_O o_O o_O
The clothes thing makes it even weirder. Cause I didn't search "Strange world toys", I searched "Strange World" and "Disney Strange World" which would give me more generalized searches. As you can see from my screenshots, there's no clothes anywhere. Just books and some action figures. What makes things even stranger is the fact the "Splat" plush toy is ShopDisney exclusive even though he is, in the film's own words, the marketable "animal" sidekick.

TwilightZone

A quick search on shopDisney.com came up with only eight (8!) items available for Strange World.

Something tells me that the remaining brick-and-mortar Disney Stores don't have window displays for Strange World.

I will say, I do like the "hang in there" t shirt. But like the rest of the shop disney merch, it's really strange it wasn't put in stores.

Heppenheimer

When you put all the box office stats in today's dollars, it really paints a very clear picture on Strange World.

Money talks.

I mean, just look at those second weekend numbers for previous Disney films that were "bombs". Strange World got less than $5 Million this second weekend, and that makes turkeys like John Carter and Home On The Range look like Frozen by comparison! Heck, Chicken Little looks like Star Wars or Titanic compared to Strange World. o_O

What on earth convinced Burbank to not market Strange World? To not release the toys and merch they created for Strange World into Target and WalMart toy shelves the weeks before Christmas? To bury any Social Media mentions of Strange World in the weeks leading up to its release in 4,174 theaters?

Maybe they just realized they had a film that wasn't going to do well and didn't want to throw good money after bad. Avoiding the sunk cost fallacy.

TP2000

Maybe they just realized they had a film that wasn't going to do well and didn't want to throw good money after bad. Avoiding the sunk cost fallacy.

Maybe? I guess?

However it happened, and for whatever reasons they decided to bury it and pretend it wasn't a thing, it's just weird.

And it certainly couldn't be happening at a worse time for the company.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 683038
View attachment 683039
View attachment 683040
View attachment 683041

View attachment 683042
View attachment 683043
View attachment 683044
View attachment 683045
View attachment 683049

A lot of merchandise is made by licensees. If no one buys the rights to make the merchandise then none is made.

TwilightZone

A lot of merchandise is made by licensees. If no one buys the rights to make the merchandise then none is made.
Ouch. This got me curious so I decided to also look at all the lincensees/manufactuers. This might be the most comprehensive list of what Strange World merch exists and who made it. The largest collection of merch can be found at Amazon, where most of this list came from. The Splat Plush and steel water bottle seem to be shopdisney exclusive. Here's an image album of further merch I found, just as proof they exist.

Books:
  • Little Golden Books - book adaptation
  • DK Children - Ultimate Sticker Book
  • RH/Disney - Junior Novelization, Deluxe Junior Novelization, Graphic Novel, Meet the Clades, So You Want to Be an Explorer!, Adventure Awaits!
  • Chronicle Books - The art of Strange World
  • Bendon - Imagine Ink Book

Toys:
  • Basic Fun (no really, that's their name) - Mini Figure Collector Set, Ethan and Skiff Vehicle
  • Unknown - Official Splat Plush

Outfits:
  • Disney (according to amazon, anyways) - Splat Wave, Let's Make History, Splat Focus, Hang in There, Destiny Awaits, Clades Family Venture Beyond Poster T-shirt, Venture Beyond Badge T-shirt, Avalonia Venture Beyond, Destiny Awaits Group Shot, Venture Beyond Knit Top, Splat logo pull over hoodie, Clades Family Let's Make History long sleeve shirt, Strange Adventures Girls Short Sleeve Tee, Strange World Travel Line Art T-shirt, Strange World Adventurer Bars woman's tank top, Travel Line Art Girls t-shirt, Family Split Panel Bars hoodie
Misc:
  • Various Chinese Manufacturers - Off-brand Splat Plush, Cake toppers
  • Bendon - Party favors
  • Disney - Venture beyond Samsung Phone case, Official soundtrack
  • Trends International - Hang in there posters, Let's Go Make History poster
  • Unknown - Steel water bottle

Last edited:

TP2000

Ouch. This got me curious so I decided to also look at all the lincensees/manufactuers. This might be the most comprehensive list of what Strange World merch exists and who made it. The largest collection of merch can be found at Amazon, where most of this list came from. The Splat Plush and steel water bottle seem to be shopdisney exclusive. Here's an image album of further merch I found, just as proof they exist.

Books:
  • Little Golden Books - book adaptation
  • DK Children - Ultimate Sticker Book
  • RH/Disney - Junior Novelization, Deluxe Junior Novelization, Graphic Novel, Meet the Clades, So You Want to Be an Explorer!, Adventure Awaits!
  • Chronicle Books - The art of Strange World
  • Bendon - Imagine Ink Book

Toys:
  • Basic Fun (no really, that's their name) - Mini Figure Collector Set, Ethan and Skiff Vehicle
  • Unknown - Official Splat Plush

Outfits:
  • Disney (according to amazon, anyways) - Splat Wave, Let's Make History, Splat Focus, Hang in There, Destiny Awaits, Clades Family Venture Beyond Poster T-shirt, Venture Beyond Badge T-shirt, Avalonia Venture Beyond, Destiny Awaits Group Shot, Venture Beyond Knit Top, Splat logo pull over hoodie, Clades Family Let's Make History long sleeve shirt, Strange Adventures Girls Short Sleeve Tee, Strange World Travel Line Art T-shirt, Strange World Adventurer Bars woman's tank top, Travel Line Art Girls t-shirt, Family Split Panel Bars hoodie
Misc:
  • Various Chinese Manufacturers - Off-brand Splat Plush, Cake toppers
  • Bendon - Party favors
  • Disney - Venture beyond Samsung Phone case, Official soundtrack
  • Trends International - Hang in there posters, Let's Go Make History poster
  • Unknown - Steel water bottle

What this shows and proves is that a broad range of Strange World merchandise was developed, designed, manufactured and sent to retail stores for sale.

And then they buried the movie, barely marketed it, and didn't put the merchandise on shelves for Christmas.

This honestly has to be one of the weirdest big budget movie scenarios that I've ever seen Disney do.

And I'd love to know the story behind these decisions! There's a juicy story to tell here, obviously.

Ghost93

Is it safe to say that this would've lost less money if it went straight to Disney+, even if (hypothetically) it attracted zero new subscribers or kept zero people subscribed, rather than spend the money that was required for this movie to go into theaters?
Even if Strange World is a total flop, I think it was the right call to send it to theaters. Disney made a grave mistake by getting people used to the idea of movies going straight to Disney plus for free with Soul, Luca, Turning Red, the day and date release for Raya and the extremely short theatrical window for Encanto.

Disney needs to retrain audiences to go to theaters. I wouldn't put Strange World on Disney Plus until February. Not because it will make more money, but because I think in late December you want all of the headlines to be about Avatar's (probable) success: the Way of Water. You don't want to reignite discourse on one of Disney's biggest flops.

GimpYancIent

Even if Strange World is a total flop, I think it was the right call to send it to theaters. Disney made a grave mistake by getting people used to the idea of movies going straight to Disney plus for free with Soul, Luca, Turning Red, the day and date release for Raya and the extremely short theatrical window for Encanto.

Disney needs to retrain audiences to go to theaters. I wouldn't put Strange World on Disney Plus until February. Not because it will make more money, but because I think in late December you want all of the headlines to be about Avatar's (probable) success: the Way of Water. You don't want to reignite discourse on one of Disney's biggest flops.
Disney couldn't train anything. Strange World was D+ material from the get-go. People go see what they want, when they want and spend what they want when they want. Disney needs to return / retrain itself to providing the public with what is wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom