'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

You comment on this comparison (involving an arrest for sexual misconduct) yet somehow missed the point of my earlier, and more relevant, reference to Demi Moore. There is something very, very puzzling about the spin you’re trying to put on this.

It's not spin, it's just my opinion and thoughts on a fascinating tale of historic box office failure.

As for Ms. Moore, I Googled. She appeared on the cover of Oui magazine (Gawd, I'd forgotten about mags like that! So trashy!) in January, 1981. She claims she was only 16 at the time. By the mid 1980's her movie career took off, and she broke out into stardom when she was in St. Elmo's Fire in 1985. I absolutely hated that movie, and it bugged me because I really liked the pop song that sprang from it. Ms. Moore then went on to star in a dozen or so movies for the next decade, becoming a genuine A Lister by the early 1990's by starring in hugely successful films like A Few Good Men, and Indecent Proposal and Disclosure. I don't remember any topless scenes she may have done, and Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but I imagine there were some as those are mostly R Rated movies of that time.

In 1995 she was chosen to be the voice of Esmerelda. After she had cemented her name as a legit A Lister in a range of various major movies.

Jaboukie circa 2022 is something entirely different than Demi Moore circa 1995. Although both annoy me.

Californian Elitist

Also, this isn’t the 50s and 60s, although that period of time had their own problems that people love to either gloss over and/or romanticize.

Annette Funicello was charming and, in general, not very talented. She couldn’t sing, her acting was whatever, and she could hold an 8-count, albeit not always on beat. Love her, but
I had never heard of him until two weeks ago, but that's unsurprising considering my demographic and personal tastes in entertainment. I imagine most American parents of small children had never heard of him either.

But more parents of small children (the biggest demographic for a Disney film like Strange World) are now aware of him, and have seen his latest song lyrics printed out online in chat groups or Facebook posts. And now I have also read his lyrics.

I will be playing my cherished Motown Christmas album tonight to cleanse my brain. 😁 🎅

But most importantly to this discussion: I find the decision by Burbank execs to hire this particular performer, with his known record of being very raunchy and often profane, to be questionable at best and idiotic at worst. What were they thinking? That parents with Internet connections weren't going to find out he was the Ethan Clade voice actor?

The business decision to hire Jaboukie, out of all the thousands of voice actors and minor celebs in the world, makes the failure of Strange World even... stranger. It's just one piece of the puzzle, but the puzzle is really weird.

What was Burbank thinking?!?! o_O
Most people, parents included, don’t care about this at all. Nothing is strange about this. Disney has hired a stand-up comic to voice one character before.

Lots of nothing going on here.

Californian Elitist

What if America did know who Jaboukie was, and if his lyrics were printed in major media to read and digest?

Burbank is probably breathing a sigh of relief that the issue stayed relatively hidden and buried in Facebook groups made up mostly of unknown Midwest moms.

It's just one interesting angle to this disastrous movie, and likely at least a small part of the reason marketing was so thin and rare for Strange World after they spent $180 Million on it.
LOL.

Not a sigh of relief.

TP2000

Point is that over the years Disney has dealt with talent who were in past or were currently involved in non-kid friendly activities. It just seems that some talent was more tolerated by the public than others.

Or because it was pre 1997, most American parents didn't have unfiltered access to online information about movies and the stars in them.

In 2022, any parent can find out anything about the latest Disney film. And a lot of that information is no longer coming from Burbank's approved publicity machine, but is rather coming from fellow parents the next town over.

Burbank must really hate that sometimes. ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's not spin, it's just my opinion and thoughts on a fascinating tale of historic box office failure.

As for Ms. Moore, I Googled. She appeared on the cover of Oui magazine (Gawd, I'd forgotten about mags like that! So trashy!) in January, 1981. She claims she was only 16 at the time. By the mid 1980's her movie career took off, and she broke out into stardom when she was in St. Elmo's Fire in 1985. I absolutely hated that movie, and it bugged me because I really liked the pop song that sprang from it. Ms. Moore then went on to star in a dozen or so movies for the next decade, becoming a genuine A Lister by the early 1990's by starring in hugely successful films like A Few Good Men, and Indecent Proposal and Disclosure. I don't remember any topless scenes she may have done, and Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but I imagine there were some as those are mostly R Rated movies of that time.

In 1995 she was chosen to be the voice of Esmerelda. After she had cemented her name as a legit A Lister in a range of various major movies.

Jaboukie circa 2022 is something entirely different than Demi Moore circa 1995. Although both annoy me.
Guess you never saw The Scarlet Letter from 1995, or Striptease from 1996. :)

TP2000

Annette Funicello was charming and, in general, not very talented. She couldn’t sing, her acting was whatever, and she could hold an 8-count, albeit not always on beat. Love her, but...

So true! I love her too, but... 🤣

Most people, parents included, don’t care about this at all. Nothing is strange about this. Disney has hired a stand-up comic to voice one character before.

Lots of nothing going on here.

Really? Here's a test whether it's a lot of nothing...

Try typing Jaboukie's latest lyrics in this thread or link to his latest music video, and see how far we get. That post would rightly be shut down immediately for wildly offensive material and obscenely adult subject matter.

And that was the guy Burbank chose to voice Ethan Clade? Why? No one else answered their calls?

LittleBuford

I don't remember any topless scenes she may have done, and Wikipedia doesn't mention it, but I imagine there were some as those are mostly R Rated movies of that time.
Not only were there topless sex scenes, but there was also the (in)famous Vanity Fair cover of her naked and pregnant. That was published in 1991.

I bring this up not to imply that Demi Moore did anything wrong—I don’t think she did—but to underscore the fact that she had a well-established reputation for raunchy behaviour by the time Disney cast her.

It doesn’t surprise me that you’re dismissing the comparison.

Californian Elitist

So true! I love her too, but... 🤣

Really? Here's a test whether it's a lot of nothing...

Try typing Jaboukie's latest lyrics in this thread or link to his latest music video, and see how far we get. That post would rightly be shut down immediately for wildly offensive material and obscenely ographic subject matter.

And that was the guy Burbank chose to voice Ethan Clade? Why? No one else answered their calls?
😂😂 We’re on a Disney forum. Duh they’d get deleted.

If you really want to clutch your invisible pearls, go listen to W.A.P. by Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion. Meg had a cameo in She-Hulk.

Disney doesn’t care about Midwestern moms lol.

TP2000

Not only were there topless sex scenes, but there was also the (in)famous Vanity Fair cover of her naked and pregnant. That was published in 1991.

I actually remember that! I thought it was much ado about nothing.

Not that we need naked pregnant ladies on every supermarket checkout stand, but that first time it was rather novel and interesting.

It doesn’t surprise me that you’re dismissing the comparison.

I'm not dismissing it, I'm just very unfamiliar with Ms. Moore's work. I had to Google her. She's always annoyed me though since St. Elmo's Fire, so I mostly avoid her movies and stuff. For whatever reason, I find her dull and pompous.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No. I stopped reading Wikipedia once I got to the point she would have been cast as Esmerelda.

Was she topless in Striptease? I imagine she'd have to be with a title like that! :cool:
Yes she was, and it was released only a week after Hunchback. Not to mention that The Scarlet Letter was released the year before.

TP2000

Disney doesn’t care about Midwestern moms lol.

Really? So they're going to just keep blowing $180 Million here and $200 Million there on family films that Midwestern moms won't take their children to?

If that's the case, I'm very glad I sold my Disney stock almost two years ago. The Walt Disney Company is in for a very rocky financial future if they're no longer catering to Midwest Moms with their animated family films. :oops:

WDP_AnnualReport_1965_Page_38_small (2).jpg

"Hey Midwest Moms, we don't care about you anymore! Go watch Minions instead, you frumpy bigots!"

TP2000

You are also very unfamiliar with Mr. Young-White’s work—by your own admission, you’d never even heard of him—but you nonetheless seem to have plenty to say about it.

I had to Google him too, last night, after someone told me his obscene and very recent work had been in discussion via parenting groups online.

Vegas Disney Fan

Really? So they're going to just keep blowing $180 Million here and $200 Million there on family films that Midwestern moms won't take their children to?

If that's the case, I'm very glad I sold my Disney stock almost two years ago. The Walt Disney Company is in for a very rocky financial future if they're no longer catering to Midwest Moms with their animated family films. :oops:

View attachment 685415
"Hey Midwest Moms, we don't care about you anymore! Go watch Minions instead, you frumpy bigots!"
I thought the same reading that comment, Disneys survived 100 years exactly because they do care about midwest moms.

If they are truly abandoning their family friendly image, as that posts suggests, they won’t last to see 125.

Californian Elitist

View attachment 685415
Disney doesn’t care about any moms from any section of the country.

Bye, bigots (you used that word, not I)!
I really would have liked She-Hulk even more if they had played WAP during her cameo!
😂😂 I would actually watch the show if they played that song! Even better if they had “Freak Nasty” playing in the background. It would have been great with the very brief twerking she did in the clip.

Megan is the definition of raunchy, and yet she still got hired lol.

TP2000

All this talk about naked ladies and Oui magazine and trashy song titles too obscene to type... Eek!

It just hit 7pm, so I'm going to go make myself a cocktail and play my Motown Christmas album, wrap a few gifts, and cleanse my mind of trash and tramps. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night! 🎅 🍸

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom