'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

Heppenheimer

For anyone wondering. This is Disneys reputation now.

They are a punchline.

And unlike Disney, Argentina is winning! They're favored to at least make the final, and have a decent chance to win the whole World Cup.

Let Argentina have its World Cup fun. Most teams get heavily criticized when they don't win (See: Germany...), this is an incredibly narrow-minded American view to criticize a team for winning with what they view as the wrong selection of people.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That part is huge. @jeangreyforever also mentioned this quite nicely. Communist China is up to no good.

So why are America's premiere companies like Disney there at all? And the current strategy of keeping most of their films out of the Chinese market seems to undercut the entire reason Bob Iger invested Billions into that country in the first place.

I'm baffled, and yet reminded that when you get into bed with Communists the morning after is very ugly.

(Not that I've ever slept with a Communist myself. I do have some standards!)

Disney doesn't keep films out of China, China keeps Disney films out of China. China limits the amount of "Western" films to be shown in their country. And they tend to exclude any film that has gay characters or whose message might foment freedom movements.

As far as Disney's 'relationship' with China, I'd like to see anyone criticizing Disney for it swear under oath that they will not buy any product made-in-whole or made-in-part in China.

Check the components of your phone, computer, and all electronic devices to be sure. And your shoes and all your clothing. And that really inexpensive thing on Amazon sold by companies with names like GRENBLTX or YUSTRJON, or etc....

Or that they will not vote for any politician that doesn't vote for a total and complete trading ban with China.

All I want is consistency. If we're all already compromised, then is singling out one particular person/company really a critique of doing business with China, or, just a way to attack someone or corporation that one doesn't like?

Engaging with China was a Nixonian ploy.

Disstevefan1

I am late to the thread, but I am super excited that Strange World will be on D+ this December!!! We don't go to the movie theater anymore, so it's great not having to wait and see it on D+

With all the talk about this movie I really want to watch to see what all the talk is about. There was a lot of talk about Lightyear and there was allegedly a kiss and even know I knew it was coming beforehand I must have missed, I guess I was looking down at my snack at the time 🤣 anyway I liked Lightyear as a standalone movie, I feel it's not part of Andy's toy story, but it's a good movie.

I am sure Strange World is fine too. I am looking forward to it.

DKampy

You certainly have a talent for spinning a very rich narrative out of very little material. You've repeated your line about Strange World so many times now that one would believe it to be a cold hard fact backed up by actual data. Even I have to remind myself that what you're now describing as "a big part" of the film's failure was, the other day, secondary to other factors:
Some people who have complained about Lightyear and Strange world about certain scenes seem to have an agenda themselves( who I think is a small minority…it is just the same people repeating themselves over and over again) the truth is neither movie has great word of mouth…and no one that has seen it mentioned gay representation as the problem

I didn’t insert the last question in there for nothing.

Care to explain?
Well I didn’t make the joke. So I can’t with 100% certainty explain it. Here’s how I took it….

The Washington Post published an article asking why there were no black players on the team. A hysterical premise.

Disney is now known for representation for the sake of representation.

So the joke is, unlike Disney, the Argentinian national team isn’t going to make their team more diverse for the sake of diversity.

Get it?

CaptainAmerica

Given that I can likely count on one hand for the amount of black Disney characters there are, just two of them being leads, this “joke” doesn’t hit. Where’s the punchline? Or did I misunderstand?
I think "Disney" here is a stand-in for "ham-fisted corporate committees who have a 'one of each' approach to diversity."

They write a story in which actual diversity is irrelevant, and then they populate the cast with one man, one woman, one black character, one Asian character, one Hispanic character, one character in a wheelchair, one rich character, one poor character, one gay character, one yada yada yada yada.

Californian Elitist

Well I didn’t make the joke. So I can’t with 100% certainty explain it. Here’s how I took it….

The Washington Post published an article asking why there were no black players on the team. A hysterical premise.

Disney is now known for representation for the sake of representation.

So the joke is, unlike Disney, the Argentinian national team isn’t going to make their team more diverse for the sake of diversity.

Get it?

I think "Disney" here is a stand-in for "ham-fisted corporate committees who have a 'one of each' approach to diversity."

They write a story in which actual diversity is irrelevant, and then they populate the cast with one man, one woman, one black character, one Asian character, one Hispanic character, one character in a wheelchair, one rich character, one poor character, one gay character, one yada yada yada yada.
2979840F-F169-4EF9-80F4-D6EBA33C006F.gif

So, the article title reads “why doesn’t Argentina have more black people.” The inclusion of “more” suggests that there is at least one black player on the team, possibly a few more, tokens, if you will. If this is true, then, they’re exactly like Disney, with just a handful of black characters (players), many of them tokens, two prominent. Regarding other tokens, this isn’t anything new.

But, heehee, I guess…?

CaptainAmerica

View attachment 684983

So, the article title reads “why doesn’t Argentina have more black people.” The inclusion of “more” suggests that there is at least one black player on the team, possibly a few more, tokens, if you will. If this is true, then, they’re exactly like Disney, with just a handful of black characters (players), many of them tokens, two prominent. Regarding other tokens, this isn’t anything new.

But, heehee, I guess…?
You're wrong in at least 4 ways.

1. The Argentina national team does not have any black players.

2. Less than one percent of the population of Argentina is black. On a roster of 26, it would be mathematically more unusual if they did have black players than if they don't.

3. The author is arguing in favor of tokenism, saying that Argentina ought to have black representation on the squad, rather than the squad being composed of the 26 men most likely to win matches.

4. "Merit" means nothing in a fictional context and everything in an athletic context. Tokenism in sports has consequences (a worse team than one fielded on merit). Tokenism in fiction is arbitrary and meaningless.

Now, actual diversity in fiction is good (see Coco, Encanto).

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

2. Less than one percent of the population of Argentina is black. On a roster of 26, it would be mathematically more unusual if they did have black players than if they don't.

3. The author is arguing in favor of tokenism, saying that Argentina ought to have black representation on the squad, rather than the squad being composed of the 26 men most likely to win matches.

4. "Merit" means nothing in a fictional context and everything in an athletic context. Tokenism in sports has consequences (a worse team than one fielded on merit). Tokenism in fiction is arbitrary and meaningless.
Okay. So with this new information (with the exception of number three), the joke really isn’t hitting now. If “merit” means nothing in fictional context, but everything in athletic context, why even bring up fictional context in the tweet instead offering something more accurate to compare themselves to? About 13% of America’s population is black, so, according to some here, the amount of black Disney characters is spot on (maybe seven in total). If Argentina’s black population is less than one percent, then, yeah, their team is also spot on with having exactly zero players. I will agree that expecting Argentina to have black players is far-fetched.

I’m not laughing, but okay. Anyways…

Heppenheimer

I'm surprised that the author didn't mention France, whose black players make up a disproportionate fraction of the team compared to the French population, also happens to be doing very well in the World Cup. Or at least, they didn't have a problem with black over-representation.

I'm pretty sure most French citizens care mostly that their team is probably on the cusp of winning their second straight World Cup, and not the anscestoral origins of the players.

CaptainAmerica

Okay. So with this new information (with the exception of number three), the joke really isn’t hitting now. If “merit” means nothing in fictional context, but everything in athletic context, why even bring up fictional context in the tweet instead offering something more accurate to compare themselves to? About 13% of America’s population is black, so, according to some here, the amount of black Disney characters is spot on (maybe seven in total). If Argentina’s black population is less than one percent, then, yeah, their team is also spot on with having exactly zero players. I will agree that expecting Argentina to have black players is far-fetched.

The answer is supposed to be stupid because the question is stupid.

Heppenheimer

I think "merit" in this context applied to Disney would be to put priority on a good story with the kind of broad general appeal that puts butts in seats. We can argue forever on why those seats remained empty for Strange World, but the fact is that they did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom