'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

mickEblu

Oh... thank God! But you never know any more.

That said, had Strange World actually been successful and had focused on the father/son guys adventure movie angle instead of "feels", I could see a Star Tours remake into a "Fantastic Voyage" type ride based on the Strange World plot making a lot of sense.

But then they ruined any chances of that by not making a classic father/son guys adventure movie that is big with boys and their dads. Not that you could leverage that version of Strange World into an entire land, like the one based on Cars that turned out to be wildly successful in its own right.

That scenario was ruined with the industry stats that came in earlier in this thread showing that men strongly disliked Strange World, while women liked it more.

But remaking Star Tours into something entirely different and finally letting Star Wars Land exist on its own in the parks? That's got to happen at some point.

I agree they ruined any chance of that happening. Still, even if it was a hit, it’s hard for me to imagine something that would work better than Star Tours in that tiny plot. A ride based on Star Wars ride where you fly to multiple planets from three different trilogies. Unfortunately, Smugglers Run didn’t make Star Tours obsolete.

_caleb

That said, had Strange World actually been successful and had focused on the father/son guys adventure movie angle instead of "feels", I could see a Star Tours remake into a "Fantastic Voyage" type ride based on the Strange World plot making a lot of sense.
You seem very certain that focusing on a “father/son guys adventure” would have made Strange World successful. Why?

LittleBuford

You seem very certain that focusing on a “father/son guys adventure” would have made Strange World successful. Why?
And note that the boy's homosexuality has repeatedly been framed as antithetical to the kind of "father/son guys [sic] adventure" that would apparently have made Strange World a smash hit. Because apparently we gay sons aren't capable of connecting with our fathers.

TP2000

I don't know that it would have been super successful and a big hit with boys on the level of Cars, but it certainly would have been more successful than it turned out. That's not saying much though, because it turned out to be historically disastrous. :eek:

But much earlier in this thread, I posted a YouTube video of the original character casting call for Ethan's voice actor, including original sketches for Ethan. Years ago via that casting call, Disney was looking to portray Ethan as a quite typical 14 year old who was inquisitive and adventurous and was about to set out on a fantastic voyage to a strange world with his dad. No where in the rambling text of that casting call did it mention that Ethan was gay.

It's apparent that when Strange World began serious development several years ago, the focus of the movie was on father/son adventure into a strange world. End of story. A rather traditional adventure movie aimed at boys.

Then Strange World got saddled with a checklist from HR that required a story rewrite, and the rest is history. :oops:

TP2000

And note that the boy's homosexuality has repeatedly been framed as antithetical to the kind of "father/son guys [sic] adventure" that would apparently have made Strange World a smash hit.

There's no guarantee Strange World would have been a smash hit. But it certainly couldn't have made it's performance any worse. And I'm of the opinion it would have made it more interesting to a wider audience.

If Pixar's Cars had been written today by the same HR committee that apparently got its hands on the Strange World script, I would imagine that Luigi and Guido would have been an out gay couple. And Sally would have rebuffed Lightning's advances because she was a Lesbian who had the hots for a saucy Subaru.

And if they'd gone down that road (get it?) with Cars, I would bet 20 churros that Cars would have been a flop on the scale of Strange World. American dads and young boys in large numbers would not want to see that movie, or acknowledge to friends that they liked it much. There would be no Cars merchandise sales to speak of either.

No matter how much our moral betters in Hollywood tried to shame America's males into liking that version of Cars.

Last edited:

mickEblu

So it’s okay with you that the creators of the Disney animated films are often gay but nobody better dare show gay representation on the screen. They better not show the world the way it is or the straight white people will stay away. Got it.

Why would I care if some the people who make the movies are gay? What does that have to do with anything?

TwilightZone

I think making it more of a father son adventure would have been better too. Removing the bulk of the family and have it be a father and son who are polar opposites learning to know each other in a scary alien world would have been genius. The gay crush scene could have fit better here too, now the angle is a dad trying to "get" his son rather than a family on an adventure.

I'm not saying movies starring families can't work but sometimes too many characters brings too much unecassary fluff. 2 of 3 strong characters is all you need

TP2000

I'm just having fun in the various threads here, chatting & reading, weighing in with Deep Thoughts, and also giggling at stuff.

I decided not to do a Christmas tree this year and only did minimal decorations, since I just moved into this brand new house and I'm still settling in. So I've got some time to lounge around and chat here! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddyThomas

I'm just having fun in the various threads here, chatting & reading, weighing in with Deep Thoughts, and also giggling at stuff.

I decided not to do a Christmas tree this year and only did minimal decorations, since I just moved into this brand new house and I'm still settling in. So I've got some time to lounge around and chat here! :)
You can still do a tree and have time to chat. Me and my husband put ours up last night.

7B99B4D9-D00A-4665-82B6-03722F45EA0C.jpeg
42D8A072-91D5-4718-BFD5-667E164981DF.jpeg
619B5CFF-C43B-46F7-B707-442715615519.jpeg
554DF1F4-0A1D-43BD-B977-F3F1C2071531.jpeg
4EB7FAFA-2DA4-4A6B-83B0-89F193E237A0.jpeg

Figments Friend

Let me say a merry Christmas to you, dear TP.
🎄

Really hope you are enjoying the new digs in Utah!
I will miss your entertaining photo updates from the wilds of Anaheim, and pictures of the rare local wildlife….those fluorescent llamas!

😘

-

jeangreyforever

I think making it more of a father son adventure would have been better too. Removing the bulk of the family and have it be a father and son who are polar opposites learning to know each other in a scary alien world would have been genius. The gay crush scene could have fit better here too, now the angle is a dad trying to "get" his son rather than a family on an adventure.

I'm not saying movies starring families can't work but sometimes too many characters brings too much unecassary fluff. 2 of 3 strong characters is all you need
That formula worked for the The Mitchells vs the Machines, which I've frankly enjoyed more than any Disney movie from the past few years. Even though it centers on the whole family, the core relationship is between the daughter and the father and she's also gay.

RobWDW1971

Strange World to debut on Disney+ December 23rd -

Mercy killing.

Just wait until the final international box office numbers are in - will make domestic look like a real "resounding success".

Like the Aesop's Fable about the dog and his reflection - be careful when you go after an audience you don't have, you may lose the one you own.

Sure, the DEI VP wants to impress her single friends in Silver Lake who would never be caught dead actually going to see a Disney animated movie or pay to visit and wait in line at a Disney theme park. But as you chase them and their current fashion, you risk losing the massive base of families with kids that actually historically loved your product and trusted you. Customers are fickle and will move on from brands quicker than companies realize.

But hey, this strategy is working out great!

Stock down nearly 40% over the past year, CEO fired, just released two huge animation bombs with the last one losing $150M+ in company cash. What's not to like?!?! Full steam ahead!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom