'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

_caleb

That's true of General Entertainment content, but Kids content doesn't work that way. Most Netflix subscribers are going to watch the latest season of Stranger Things and then immediately start looking for the next show to watch. A kid will watch The Lion King and then rewatch The Lion King two dozen times over the next few months. The kids' library keeps the kids, while General Entertainment has to keep chasing audiences with new stuff. The only GE content that has Disney levels of rewatchability is The Office, but Peacock doesn't have anything that draws new subs in the first place.
I don’t see Strange World as “kids content” so much as “family content,” but I take your point.
Except Iger is the one who came up with "spend all we want to build up D+- we don’t have to think about profitability until 2024!" in the first place so it's all a bit silly that he's the one everyone views as the great savior of the thing.
Iger did come up with that plan. And I think that he might have been able to keep investors’ confidence until October 2024 had he not left. But he now has pretty clear marching orders from the Board and from investors: get to profitability NOW.

erasure fan1

I agree. But I don’t think Disney (or anyone, really) knows quite why The Mandalorian has been so well received (see The Book of Boba Fett for evidence of this).

Seems to me they’re still trying to sort out the formula.
I think they do know why mando did well. Baby yoda. He was a cultural event hat everyone was talking about. And book of boba was just poorly done. Was it a boba Fett show, was it Mando...

It seems as if the Mando formula worked. But for some reason they haven't gone back to it with the other shows. Mando was an overarching story with each individual episode being it's own story for the most part. Very similar to the MCU infinity saga. I can't really think of any other show that's done it that way. So maybe they have the formula but they're too dumb to know it.

Vegas Disney Fan

We had a chance to watch it for free on the Wonder last weekend but we couldn’t justify giving up a couple hours of ship time for a movie, especially with the announcement it’s coming out in another week on D+.

I still think their D+ new release strategy is counterproductive, we downloaded Rise of Gru last night for $22 and my first thought was the other studios will make more every year off a couple Blu-ray sales than Disney will make off D+ subscriptions.

I know they’re trying to push new subs but I don’t see how the gains will ever replace the theater and video losses.

Vegas Disney Fan

Bad example. Rise of Gru is streaming on Peacock.
Maybe but that brings up another point, it didn’t convince me to subscribe to Peacock either, I don’t think Strange World is going to push anyone to D+, it’s just going to encourage existing subscribers to wait, and in Disneys case that’s 150 million households foregoing the tradition revenue, peacock is only 28 million households skipping tradition revenue.

Ironically the more successful the streaming service is the more damaging it’ll be to the theater and video bottom line.

Phroobar

Every architecture firm I've ever encountered provides turnkey solutions. Maybe the firm employs people with degrees other than architecture but you still refer to the whole team as "my architect."
That might be a regional definition but there are people the architect has nothing to do with like interior designers. This a pointless argument, so lets drop it.

Phroobar

We had a chance to watch it for free on the Wonder last weekend but we couldn’t justify giving up a couple hours of ship time for a movie, especially with the announcement it’s coming out in another week on D+.

I still think their D+ new release strategy is counterproductive, we downloaded Rise of Gru last night for $22 and my first thought was the other studios will make more every year off a couple Blu-ray sales than Disney will make off D+ subscriptions.

I know they’re trying to push new subs but I don’t see how the gains will ever replace the theater and video losses.
Why spend $22 for download the Rise of Gru when Amazon has the DVD for $10?
Same for DC League of Super Pets and The Bad Guys.
You can always rip the dvd and stream it from your computer to a tv.

Strange World will never push anyone to a Disney+ subscription. It isn't "must see streaming" like Stranger Things season 4 was. Is there anything on D+ that is considered "must see"?

Vegas Disney Fan

Why spend $22 for download the Rise of Gru when Amazon has the DVD for $10?
Same for DC League of Super Pets and The Bad Guys.
You can always rip the dvd and stream it from your computer to a tv.
Because 4K is stunning, it’s more expensive but it still blows me away so it’s worth it.

LittleBuford

Rest of world definition:

homophobia

noun

ho·mo·pho·bia ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or gay people

WDWMagic definition:

homophobia

noun

: any comment, fact, concept, opinion, or poster that any regular contributor to the "PRIDE Community" thread does not agree with or dislikes
We had a series of posts here describing gay people as deviants and homosexuality as a dangerous corrupting force that leads only to death and destruction. (These are the actual terms used; I’m not exaggerating for effect.) Is that close enough to the dictionary definition for you?

Thankfully, those posts have been deleted and their author has seemingly been banned, but others (who openly voiced agreement with that poster) have continued to express similar sentiments in subtler language.

It’s frankly heartbreaking to be a gay member of this forum and experience so much intolerance and bigotry. And to add insult to injury, those responsible have such an upside-down view of the situation that they consider themselves under ideological assault.

_caleb

I can't really think of any other show that's done it that way. So maybe they have the formula but they're too dumb to know it.
It's complicated, isn't it. Obviously if it only came down to only (and nobody is saying this) "cute sidekick creature = $$$$$," we'd have seen that in every film and series (and Strange World might have done better).

Complicated further by the desire to keep making money at the box office, but also to get ahead of industry changes with streaming, and Disney's got a lot to sort out. And now, they have to get there in less time and with less good will than they expected.

Californian Elitist

Rest of world definition:

homophobia

noun

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or gay people

WDWMagic definition:

homophobia

noun

: any comment, fact, concept, opinion, or poster that any regular contributor to the "PRIDE Community" thread does not agree with or dislikes
The comments that have been called out for homophobia apply to that lovely definition you provided, as well as some posters here.

Vegas Disney Fan

We had a series of posts here describing gay people as deviants and homosexuality as a dangerous corrupting force that leads only to death and destruction. (These are the actual terms used; I’m not exaggerating for effect.) Is that close enough to the dictionary definition for you?

Thankfully, those posts have been deleted and their author has seemingly been banned, but others (who openly voiced agreement with that poster) have continued to express similar sentiments in subtler language.

It’s frankly heartbreaking to be a gay member of this forum and experience so much intolerance and bigotry. And to add insult to injury, those responsible have such an upside-down view of the situation that they consider themselves under ideological assault.

Both are true, there’s plenty of homophobes in the world and there’s also plenty of people who instantly call anyone who disagrees with them a homophobe.

Prince-1

Well I didn’t make the joke. So I can’t with 100% certainty explain it. Here’s how I took it….

The Washington Post published an article asking why there were no black players on the team. A hysterical premise.

Disney is now known for representation for the sake of representation.

So the joke is, unlike Disney, the Argentinian national team isn’t going to make their team more diverse for the sake of diversity.

Get it.

You know what they say....if you have to explain a joke then it isn't that funny.,

LittleBuford

Both are true, there’s plenty of homophobes in the world and there’s also plenty of people who instantly call anyone who disagrees with them a homophobe.
That has nothing to do with his post, which was suggesting that there has been no actual homophobia in this thread, or with my reply, which was underscoring the fact that there has been—and continues to be—plenty of it.

Vegas Disney Fan

Disagrees with what, exactly?
Anything, if you vote a certain way people assume you’re…, if you go to a certain church people assume you’re…, if you live in a certain state people assume you’re.., if you dislike a bad movie that has “x” in it people assume you’re….

In some cases it’s true, in other cases it has absolutely nothing to do with “x” but people still assume you’re guilty by association.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom