'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

DKampy

Well as someone who goes to the movies once a week… I can say I believe it was the marketing… I bet your average movie goer did not know this movie existed and if they did did not know which weekend it was being released. I never even once seen a trailer not even before Disney’s own Wakanda Forever and that was just 2 weekends before Strange World was to debut. My local theater did not even have any posted signs ahead of it’s release… all I saw was a couple of quick ads on tv the week it was coming out and it made it look like just like a generic syfy movie. I would probably not even realize the movie existed if I did not follow film closely.

I certainly did not see a huge push about gay representation in the movie… frankly I am appalled at the number of close minded people on a Disney fan site… a company who has an attraction called Small World and has supported gay cast members for decades

GimpYancIent

Well as someone who goes to the movies once a week… I can say I believe it was the marketing… I bet your average movie goer did not know this movie existed and if they did did not know which weekend it was being released. I never even once seen a trailer not even before Disney’s own Wakanda Forever and that was just 2 weekends before Strange World was to debut. My local theater did not even have any posted signs ahead of it’s release… all I saw was a couple of quick ads on tv the week it was coming out and it made it look like just like a generic syfy movie. I would probably not even realize the movie existed if I did not follow film closely.

I certainly did not see a huge push about gay representation in the movie… frankly I am appalled at the number of close minded people on a Disney fan site… a company who has an attraction called Small World and has supported gay cast members for decades
Saw plenty of trailers. Marketing did advertise. It came across as D+ material not big screen. Not worth time and money to go to the theater when it can be watched at home. Some productions have that interest factor some don't.

Heppenheimer

Going back to the choice to market a film heavily or not...

I know some people liked it, but for most it was a big "meh" (including me)- Onward. I also don't remember seeing much marketing for this film when it came out. Although any chance for it to do well was probably killed by the pandemic, Disney could not have known in advance that cinemas and everything world wide would close temporarily. Did they similarly see Onward as stinker not worth spending ad money on?

The first time I even heard of Onward's existence, surprisingly, was on a trip to Disneyland, which coincidentally happened to be the last week it was open before the pandemic shut everything down. They placed a mock-up of the van on Pixar Pier for photo-ops... and it didn't seem to be busy at all. Some of the shops were also selling plastic wands that nobody seemed to buy.

Last edited:

Prince-1

Saw plenty of trailers. Marketing did advertise. It came across as D+ material not big screen. Not worth time and money to go to the theater when it can be watched at home. Some productions have that interest factor some don't.

And this is the main reason that SA failed. It didn't look that great and people are learning that Disney movies are making their way on D+ very very quickly so why waste the money to go see it in the theaters. There will be movies like Top Gun 2, Avatar 2, etc that will definitely draw large crowds but the way that a movie is judged as a success is changing before our eyes.

GimpYancIent

These were temporary pandemic-era measures and anyone expecting it to continue long-term will be mistaken.
Nah. Prepandemic theaters were feeling the pressure of diminishing attendance. Movie goers got choosy about what to go and see. The pandemic was a gut punch for the theaters. Long term people still enjoy periodically going to a theater and enjoying a movie with emphasis on the cost / time investment vs enjoyment. With the variety of venues and methods to experience / enjoy productions that exist now the golden days of theaters is gone.

CaptainAmerica

Nah. Prepandemic theaters were feeling the pressure of diminishing attendance. Movie goers got choosy about what to go and see. The pandemic was a gut punch for the theaters. Long term people still enjoy periodically going to a theater and enjoying a movie with emphasis on the cost / time investment vs enjoyment. With the variety of venues and methods to experience / enjoy productions that exist now the golden days of theaters is gone.
Rise of Gru just did $940 million on a budget of $80 million.

erasure fan1

Long term people still enjoy periodically going to a theater and enjoying a movie with emphasis on the cost / time investment vs enjoyment.
Exactly
Rise of Gru just did $940 million on a budget of $80 million.
Of course people will still go to the theater to see a movie. We have lots of examples of that. But people will be much more picky about what will win their dollar. With D+, even if you think it was isolated to a pandemic strategy, Disney needs to make better movies. D+ will be in the back of peoples minds as a factor in bringing the family to the theater or just wait. It all comes down to make good movies. Do that and D+ won't be an issue.

CaptainAmerica

Of course people will still go to the theater to see a movie. We have lots of examples of that. But people will be much more picky about what will win their dollar. With D+, even if you think it was isolated to a pandemic strategy, Disney needs to make better movies. D+ will be in the back of peoples minds as a factor in bringing the family to the theater or just wait. It all comes down to make good movies. Do that and D+ won't be an issue.
That's exactly my point.

Narrative: Nobody is going to theaters because everyone is just going to wait for streaming.

Me: People will still go to theaters if the movies don't suck.

Ghost93

Strange World to debut on Disney+ December 23rd -

I still think it's a mistake to release it on Disney Plus so soon, as it may make people think that other movies that won't be on Disney+ for awhile — like Black Panther: Wakanda Forever or Avatar: The Way of Water — will be in theaters for only a short amount of time.

Frankly, I'd wait to put Strange World on Disney Plus until February or March. The moment it gets put online, you are going to revive all of the clickbait YouTube videos and articles bashing the film and reviving the backlash against Disney, which is not what the Disney company wants people to focus on when Avatar.

Maybe they could even wait to put Strange World on Disney Plus until April. With its pro-environmental message, it would make a nice "Earth Day" tie-in.

Tony the Tigger

That's exactly my point.

Narrative: Nobody is going to theaters because everyone is just going to wait for streaming.

Me: People will still go to theaters if the movies don't suck.
Or if there’s more than a passing interest. I’ll watch this on D+ but wasn’t going to see it in theaters. Then again, there are not many films per year that get me into theaters. Ignoring covid, maybe once every 6 weeks.

erasure fan1

I still think it's a mistake to release it on Disney Plus so soon, as it may make people think that other movies that won't be on Disney+ for awhile — like Black Panther: Wakanda Forever or Avatar: The Way of Water — will be in theaters for only a short amount of time.
I agree. I said that many many pages back. It doesn't matter this movie isn't going anywhere. It's about the optics. Put some distance between the theater and D+.
The moment it gets put online, you are going to revive all of the clickbait YouTube videos and articles bashing the film and reviving the backlash against Disney
I don't know if that is an official date from Disney. But I can see the YouTube video headlines now. "Disneys epic flop already set for D+" It just reinforces the wait for D+ mentality.

Prince-1

These were temporary pandemic-era measures and anyone expecting it to continue long-term will be mistaken.

There will be long term changes to the movie industry due to the pandemic. The window for movies to transition from the theater to a streaming platform will remain shorter due to covid. Seeing more movies debut in the theaters and a streaming platform will remain due to covid. Having big name movies go directly to a streaming platform, Knives out for example, will continue due to covid.

Wendy Pleakley

Frankly, I'd wait to put Strange World on Disney Plus until February or March. The moment it gets put online, you are going to revive all of the clickbait YouTube videos and articles bashing the film and reviving the backlash against Disney, which is not what the Disney company wants people to focus on when Avatar.

Maybe they could even wait to put Strange World on Disney Plus until April. With its pro-environmental message, it would make a nice "Earth Day" tie-in.

Maybe.

Three months is pretty standard now for the theatrical to home streaming timeline. That would have been unheard of not long ago.

The Star Wars and Avengers movies followed this and their box office was not hurt.

COVID may have changed people's habits, but I think in general it still comes down to a) are people interested enough in a movie that they want to see it as soon as possible and b) is it a movie that really benefits from being seen in a theater.

Three months is nothing to wait. Strange New World coming even sooner doesn't make me more or less interested in seeing it in a theater.

LittleBuford

Maybe.

Three months is pretty standard now for the theatrical to home streaming timeline. That would have been unheard of not long ago.

The Star Wars and Avengers movies followed this and their box office was not hurt.

COVID may have changed people's habits, but I think in general it still comes down to a) are people interested enough in a movie that they want to see it as soon as possible and b) is it a movie that really benefits from being seen in a theater.

Three months is nothing to wait. Strange New World coming even sooner doesn't make me more or less interested in seeing it in a theater.
I would have gone and seen Strange World at the cinemas if not for lingering COVID concerns. I am excited to watch it on Disney+ and will share my honest thoughts on it here once I do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom