'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

TP2000

Indeed. That’s the point I’ve been trying to make all along.

I think the point that American parents are making is that they want (and rightly deserve!) the right to introduce the discussion of 2SLGBTQQIA+ themes and content on their own terms, at a time of their choosing that is appropriate for their own child and the values/culture of their own family unit. A movie studio doesn't get to take that right away from them.

I don't think that point is the entire reason Strange World bombed so historically, but I do now believe that it had a sizable influence on Strange World's box office failure in all Western countries. Whether we like it or not.

And if Disney & Pixar continues putting gay content into every family animated feature they release at summer or Thanksgiving marketed at young children, the box office results will look more like Strange World and less like Frozen.

Or Lightyear, if they're lucky.

YouChoose!.jpg

BuddyThomas

I think we have different definitions of homophobia. Also just because I “like” a post doesn’t necessarily mean I like every.single.thing that was said in that post or that I would have phrased it the same way. I don’t think anything he said was homophobic though.

So you don’t think you have enough visibility? Gay people make up what, 5% of the population? So you want = visibility? And why does that visibility have to come in childrens cartoons?

Also when did I show sympathy for the Ayotollah?
This so called “children’s cartoon” happens to be rated PG, not G, and I don’t know why supposed Disney superfans on this thread continue to refer to animated motion pictures as “cartoons”.

Disney Analyst

The 2022 box office in general is nothing to write home about. Started off decent, then most has fizzled.

Despite nearly 50% fewer film releases during the summer, the domestic box still tallied $3.34 billion in ticket sales, down nearly 21% from 2019 levels.

This article is from September, I swear I read something today that suggested the 2022 box office is 30-35% down.

2023 should be a better year, with a larger slate of films.

Perhaps Avatar will give 2022 a final decent bump?

BuddyThomas

With what’s happening? What do you mean exactly? If you re hoping for more of the kind of representation we saw in Strange World and Lightyear in another Disney animated feature film any time soon you will probably be disappointed. Unless of course Disney has decided their a charity that can keep this up when their core fanbase doesn’t want it.
Please enlighten us as to what their “core fan base” wants.

TP2000

This chart is even better. Encanto wasn't making much money when pulled to Disney+. It was already starting to flat line.

View attachment 683976

Isn't it fun!?! I have a new toy.

But don't forget to toggle to "Inflation Adjusted" financials (the tab at upper right) if you pick a movie more than five years old or so. It then automatically puts the financials in inflation adjusted dollars so you can see the real impact historically.

LittleBuford

I think the point that American parents are making is that they want (and rightly deserve!) the right to introduce the discussion of 2SLGBTQQIA+ themes and content on their own terms, at a time of their choosing that is appropriate for their own child and the values/culture of their own family unit. A movie studio doesn't get to take that right away from them.
That isn’t a point I’m interested in discussing, nor does it have anything to do with what I wrote.

I just think it’s telling that people aren’t scrambling to find ideological reasons for the failure of DC League of Super-Pets. It seems that for some of you, a cigar stops being a cigar when even a hint of gay representation is involved, at which point quality, marketing, etc., are rendered irrelevant and everything gets blamed on Disney’s “agenda”.

mickEblu

It was a rough summer at the movies for those of us with kids this past summer. I had to sit through Lightyear, Paws Fury, DC Super League of Pets and the new Minions movie. I mostly slept through all of them or looked at my phone but of the 4 I actually think I liked Super league of Pets the most from what I retained. Not that that’s saying much.

Yes I saw Lightyear with my son. And I knew about the kiss before I went in. I didn’t particularly care for it but I was actually more bothered that they felt it was necessary to have one of the women get pregnant and visibly show that during a montage. Somehow we went from talking toys in Toy Story 1 to artificial insemination in space in “Toy Story 5.”

For whatever reason Lightyear didn’t bother me as much as the thought of Strange World does. Maybe because it’s two adult women and not a young boy? Maybe because it was Super brief and one of the women kind of looked androgynous? More likely though is because Strange World is the second of two back fo back movies with this type of content. With Lightyear you could pass it off as some one off or once in a blue moon type of thing. With Strange World being the very next movie means that isn’t the case. And to hear they were considering going for # 3 in a row with Wish is mind boggling.

Last edited:

TP2000

Perhaps Avatar will give 2022 a final decent bump?

There's a lot of service workers in LA hustling for tips that are praying for that exact thing for '23.

I can make fun of the pompous Burbank execs all day long, but I also have to remember the baristas and beauticians and barmaids working (not from home!) in Los Angeles that depend on a financially healthy Hollywood for their livelihoods. :oops:

Last edited:

Phroobar

Isn't it fun!?! I have a new toy.

But don't forget to toggle to "Inflation Adjusted" financials (the tab at upper right) if you pick a movie more than five years old or so. It then automatically puts the financials in inflation adjusted dollars so you can see the real impact historically.
I did that for the original Star Wars trilogy and Prequels. Interesting how ANH & TESB slowly climbed but didn't level off like the others. Those were the days when movies stayed in the theater for a year.

2022-12-08 15_58_23-Movie Comparison_ Star Wars Ep. I_ The Phantom Menace (1999) vs. Star Wars...jpg

TP2000

I just think it’s telling that people aren’t scrambling to find ideological reasons for the failure of DC League of Super-Pets.

Probably because there is no real ideology behind a movie like Super Pets.

It's just a crappy summer kids movie. About dogs with super powers, I guess?

It had a production budget of $90 Million and made $204 Million at the box office globally. It fared much better financially than Lightyear did with its $200 Million budget (?!?) and $218 Million at the box office globally.

BuddyThomas

Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Some of what has been deleted...
Well, considering that we have a thread about a black mermaid that has been locked and a thread about handicapped dolls that has been locked due to so many intolerant posts, I suppose it doesn’t come as much of a surprise what has been posted here. My posts on this thread have been deleted as well but I have a very, very hard time tolerating intolerance.

TwilightZone

Earlier today I mentioned that Tomorrowland was a dreadful movie with a good message. The message of tomorrowland is by dreading that the future will be bad, the future actually will be bad because people stop doing active measures to ensure a good future.

I think I could argue the same with Strange World and Lightyear. Their inclusion of gay people teaches a good message that, you know, gay people are normal people too. But that doesn't mean that the movies are any good.

BuddyThomas

Earlier today I mentioned that Tomorrowland was a dreadful movie with a good message. The message of tomorrowland is by dreading that the future will be bad, the future actually will be bad because people stop doing active measures to ensure a good future.

I think I could argue the same with Strange World and Lightyear. Their inclusion of gay people teaches a good message that, you know, gay people are normal people too. But that doesn't mean that the movies are any good.
Except that Strange World isn’t a “dreadful movie”, and 75% of critics agree.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Feed the good wolf...

TwilightZone

Got curious about the graph thing, here's all of disneys sci fi animated movies ranked, inflation toggled btw
1670546940976.png

EDIT: Here's one with Mars needs Moms if Stitch isnt sci fi enough for you

1670547142436.png

Tomorrowland
1670547218205.png

1670547318730.png

And Chicken Little (it has aliens, I'm counting it)

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Dreadful? I'm guessing absolutely not. Completely average giving people no real reason not to wait for D+? Most likely.
I found it to be fantastic. It’s a total action movie with all sorts of great sequences. Most of the people on here who are going on and on about how awful it is have never seen it and have no intention of seeing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom