'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Okay, I will say that THAT'S a problem, especially with waning viewership and theater attendance. I'm sure there's a way to have inclusion in said "incredibly well-written"scripts if need be. I mean, that can be accomplished with casting.

Does inclusion mean including actors/actresses from certain groups or including characters from certain groups? Problem is that if you cast someone from a certain ethnicity or race, they will retain that race in the show. That's a visual aspect of the person. If you cast someone with a certain sexual preference or identity, it's as if you HAVE to make their preference or identity a vital part of their character to make that aspect of inclusion known. That's because their characteristic is about behavior and lifestyle, mostly in private life rather than a physical attribute like race or a handicap. How do you show sexual inclusion without making the sexuality an aspect of the character's plot? I can fully understand the choppy waters there.

But that's ABC. Not sure to what extent that applies to other shows or movies. I mean-how many people even watch network tv anymore lol.
Network TV saved Disney during the pandemic.

mickEblu

This presumes there aren't good scripts that are indeed inclusive.

If you get inclusive scripts that are good and bad. And if you get non-inclusive scripts that are good and bad.

Then why not just go with the best of both worlds: good scripts that are inclusive?

This isn't crazy. Or hard.

Well what do you mean by inclusive? I will say I’d rather have an all Black, all Asian, all Latino cast 10x out of 10 over a movie that appears to check all the boxes like Strange World. Just feels more organic and less forced. Not to say you don’t have diverse families/ groups of friends or that it’s impossible to make good content when a few different boxes are checked. See Modern Family. I guess it comes down to intent and the creative process. But I also think we view Disney animated films as being a little more sacred due to nostalgia and the fact they cater to our young children. So what flies for an evening sitcom doesn’t necessarily fly for a Disney cartoon.

mickEblu

Earlier I made a comment about it being “a bit too much too fast” and I want to elaborate on that @LittleBuford. Most of us here are Disney super fans so let’s look at this from the lens of parks fan as well. In early 2022 they take the words “ladies and gentlemen” out of the Electric parade. Ladies and F’in Gentlemen! Then they come out with Lightyear and Strange World back to back. Do you honestly think this is good approach? Also understand that people opposed to this kind of stuff lump all of it together. To you, the non binary stuff and the inclusion we see in Lightyear and Strange World may very different things. To many it’s all same. Just being hit over the head with politically correct virtue signaling inclusion and changing everything almost overnight. I think the Gender identity stuff being lumped in with the LGBT movement is the worst thing that could have happened for you guys.

When you take the harmless words “Ladies and Gentlemen” out of a 50 year old parade “you” and any movement/ political party/ ideology that you are associated with have lost me.

Last edited:

Basil of Baker Street

Part of this stems from heterosexuality being normative and homosexuality being taboo likely in the era you grew up. That makes homosexuality unfortunately seen more 'sexualized' than it really should be. Little Mermaid by all accounts is a kind of raunchy film and I assume something you would have seen during your own childhood.

Why Childrens films matter is because if they become an indiscriminate lens homosexuality becomes more 'normative' and therefore less sexualized for a future generation. I think the goal is to make it normal, but unfortunately the implication that a gay crush is inappropriate, but a straight one is... then gay isn't really normal.

(American) Society isn't clearly there yet, you are right. But I do think that's why Children's movies actually do matter for the next generation.
I can say up until my daughter was about 11, anytime she saw kissing on tv she would cover her head with a blanket. Even The Little Mermaind. 🤣

Phroobar

Except it is not breaking even..it will make 100 million in profit at the very least

Edit: It is still ahead of Strange MOM at this point in it’s run and that made close to a billion
There is no proof a 100 million profit right now.
Every movie makes a profit eventually. You just need to wait long enough.

CaptainMickey

I tend to think the film would have done well if Disney had marketed it more effectively and if critics had liked it more than they did. I’m not convinced that the brief depiction of a gay crush is enough to have kept significant numbers of parents away.
@LittleBuford Approximately what percentage of families do you think might have some kind of issue bringing their 5-10 years old children to a kids movie that they heard has some kind of gay representation themes in it?

Wendy Pleakley

Earlier I made a comment about it being “a bit too much too fast” and I want to elaborate on that @LittleBuford. Most of us here are Disney super fans so let’s look at this from the lens of parks fan as well. In early 2022 they take the words “ladies and gentlemen” out of the Electric parade. Ladies and F’in Gentlemen! Then they come out with Lightyear and Strange World back to back. Do you honestly think this is good approach? Also understand that people opposed to this kind of stuff lump all of it together. To you, the non binary stuff and the inclusion we see in Lightyear and Strange World may very different things. To many it’s all same. Just being hit over the head with politically correct virtue signaling inclusion and changing everything almost overnight. I think the Gender identity stuff being lumped in with the LGBT movement is the worst thing that could have happened for you guys.

When you take the harmless words “Ladies and Gentlemen” out of a 50 year old parade “you” and any movement/ political party/ ideology that you are associated with have lost me.

Ah, the classic, "LGBT content will be okay eventually".

It's 2022. This should be a non-issue. Still we have people benevolently saying they'll be okay with it at some point and complaining it's been sprung on them too quickly.

Like we haven't heard this all before.

And who gets mad at a parade introduction? Such a trivial thing.

LittleBuford

Well, my original reply was removed, so let me try again.

Based on your earlier posts and likes (all since deleted), I am not interested in engaging with you. I draw the line at those who voice, or approve of, outright homophobia.

I will note, however, that what you view as “a bit much too fast” is, from my perspective, a bit of long-overdue relief from thousands of years spent in the closet. Rest assured that we queer folk have no interest in taking over the world or forcing straight people to hide as we had to. All we want is a little visibility at long last.

Disney Analyst

Representation is not a hindrance to storytelling but an obsession with representation is absolutely a hindrance to storytelling.

"I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them."

The problem isn't the diversity we see on screen, it's the mindset of the people behind the scenes. They're making conscious decisions to forego quality to achieve their DE&I goals.

It always seems to me that the people truly obsessed with representation are those who seem to keep screaming out against it. They can't stop talking about it. Making up some fantasy about some woke war machine with some woke agenda that has forced wokeness upon all.

The rest of us have simply said to these companies "hey, can you try and include more people from our beautiful diverse world?" ... and they said "sure".

mickEblu

Well, my original reply was removed, so let me try again.

Based on your earlier posts and likes (all since deleted), I am not interested in engaging with you. I draw the line at those who voice, or approve of, outright homophobia.

I will note, however, that what you view as “a bit much too fast” is, from my perspective, a bit of long-overdue relief from thousands of years spent in the closet. Rest assured that we queer folk have no interest in taking over the world or forcing straight people to hide as we had to. All we want is a little visibility at long last.

I think we have different definitions of homophobia. Also just because I “like” a post doesn’t necessarily mean I like every.single.thing that was said in that post or that I would have phrased it the same way. I don’t think anything he said was homophobic though.

So you don’t think you have enough visibility? Gay people make up what, 5% of the population? So you want = visibility? And why does that visibility have to come in childrens cartoons?

Also when did I show sympathy for the Ayotollah?

Sir_Cliff

Like I said to Buford, it's not about avoiding the conversation. It's about having the conversation in a better context than a Disney movie. My 5 year old daughter had a soccer teammate with two dads, so she asked about it and I explained it to her 5-year-old level. My 8 year old daughter knows where babies come from, so she asked about it and I explained adoption. But I had that opportunity in the context of "real life." It wasn't sprung by a movie.
This seems to me kind of an artificial distinction. Why is it ok for a child at that age to encounter same-sex couples out in the world and ask questions but not ok for them to see one in a film and ask questions? Presumably they ask about other things they see represented in animated films and TV series before they encounter them in real life?

As others have said, at that age you're really not thinking about it in terms of sex. My parents were pretty conservative, but my mother's best friend from university in the 1970s was gay and came around a few times with his male partner for dinner when I was a very young child in the 1980s. I don't think it was that fascinating to any of us three children as the concept wasn't that hard to grasp even if we didn't see it that much in the world around us at that point in time. We really didn't consider the mechanics of it any more than we did about any of our relatives in heterosexual relations. That said, my mother also loved Peter Allen and Elton John, so that might have desensitised us! ;)

CaptainAmerica

It always seems to me that the people truly obsessed with representation are those who seem to keep screaming out against it. They can't stop talking about it. Making up some fantasy about some woke war machine with some woke agenda that has forced wokeness upon all.

The rest of us have simply said to these companies "hey, can you try and include more people from our beautiful diverse world?" ... and they said "sure".
How much time do you spend working with senior executives in multinational media conglomerates?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom