'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But I had that opportunity in the context of "real life." It wasn't sprung by a movie.
Ok... so what about Disney movies that have death of parents? Are you not as annoyed that Disney foisted upon you that kind of conversation with your children that didn't spring out of a natural real-life moment of a schoolmate having a parent die?

CaptainAmerica

Ok... so what about Disney movies that have death of parents? Are you not as annoyed that Disney foisted upon you that kind of conversation with your children that didn't spring out of a natural real-life moment of a schoolmate having a parent die?
See below.

I didn't say it was age inappropriate, I said it was bad business. I'm trying to describe how many parents feel, not how many parents ought to feel. I made no claim regarding the merits of the movie, which I haven't seen.

Disney needs to make movies parents want to see, not movies Disney wishes parents wanted to see.

erasure fan1

You don't see too many people getting upset at the idea of Idris Elba as James Bond, because Idris Elba is awesome. You do see people upset about Moses Ingram in Obi-Wan because Moses Ingram was legitimately terrible in that role.
We saw the same thing with Rose Tico in ep8. No one cared she was Asian or female. She was just a terrible character.

Jedijax719

Two points.

1. Normalization is partially a reflection of what's considered acceptable and what's considered taboo, like you said, but it's also a reflection of what's  common. If all you've ever seen in your life are blue cars and all of a sudden you see a red car, the red car is going to stand out to you, even if you have zero moral or religious or cultural or any other sort of objection to red cars. There are neighborhoods in this country where half the people are LGBTQ, and there are neighborhoods where no one is. In those neighborhoods, and for kids who have lived in them their whole lives, it's something that will *stand out* even if it's not seen as *taboo.*

2. Oh the topic of why homosexuality is seen as more sexualized, I've been thinking about it and I have a theory. When parents introduce the idea of sex to children, it's not framed in terms of pleasure or even romance. It's framed in terms of procreation. "This part goes here because this from the man and that from the woman need to combine inside of the woman and that's where babies come from." It's all very clinical. When you're talking about a same-sex relationship, there's no procreative angle to approach it from so you lose the ability to frame things that way. When you take away the possibility of the creation of children, you're left with sex-for-sex's sake. Obviously there are a lot of straight people having sex-for-sex's sake too, but at least parents have an "out" in those situations
Great post!

Btw, we haven't seen Strange World yet. Do they show anyone actually "getting it on"? No? Then what is the big deal? Why are people in such a tizzy over it?

“Used to” suggests a long time ago, yet most of Disney’s recent animated films have been pretty well received. Does the failure of Strange World undo the success of Encanto that easily for you?
Do you believe Encanto to be a rousing success?

How do we quantify well received?

I don’t think it’s very productive to hide our heads in the sand here.

If you think “representation” trumps story telling, that is fine for you to believe. I won’t argue with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy Pleakley

Do you believe Encanto to be a rousing success?

How do we quantify well received?

I don’t think it’s very productive to hide our heads in the sand here.

If you think “representation” trumps story telling, that is fine for you to believe. I won’t argue with you.

The reality on the ground is, Disney has a reputation for being “woke” and every movie/series they put out recently, has reinforced that reputation.

You think that’s ultimately good for business?

Movies will continue to reflect the diversity of the world we live in. No one in their right mind is going to produce shows that exclusively feature white heterosexual characters in today's day and age.

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleBuford

This is a false dichotomy to begin with. I’ve made clear multiple times that good storytelling is the most important factor. Representation is in no way a hindrance to it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Gordon Ramsay Facepalm GIF by Masterchef

Some of what has been deleted...

This is a false dichotomy to begin with. I’ve made clear multiple times that good storytelling is the most important factor. Representation is in no way a hindrance to it.
I agree! I hate to go back to my Modern Family example, but it really is on the nose. Diversity is no barrier to good story telling.

At Disney, diversity trumps story telling. This is the issue. The keep putting out “entertainment” that’s only diverse and inclusive. Not good.

MrPromey

🙃 Same. As you said, though, it’s all going to be deleted, which I happily welcome. Might as well get some words in before that happens lol.

I know I wasn't making Steve's job any easier by feeding the troll which is why I kind of regret it now.

I appreciate that he hasn't banned me after all these years of having slips like this. :)

EDITED to add:

Also, Steve, I'm sorry we're all calling you "mom" today. 🙃

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Representation is not a hindrance to storytelling but an obsession with representation is absolutely a hindrance to storytelling.

"I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them."

The problem isn't the diversity we see on screen, it's the mindset of the people behind the scenes. They're making conscious decisions to forego quality to achieve their DE&I goals.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Representation is not a hindrance to storytelling but an obsession with representation is absolutely a hindrance to storytelling.

"I will tell you for the first time we received some incredibly well-written scripts that did not satisfy our standards in terms of inclusion, and we passed on them."

The problem isn't the diversity we see on screen, it's the mindset of the people behind the scenes.
This presumes there aren't good scripts that are indeed inclusive.

If you get inclusive scripts that are good and bad. And if you get non-inclusive scripts that are good and bad.

Then why not just go with the best of both worlds: good scripts that are inclusive?

This isn't crazy. Or hard.

CaptainAmerica

This presumes there aren't good scripts that are indeed inclusive.

If you get inclusive scripts that are good and bad. And if you get non-inclusive scripts that are good and bad.

Then why not just go with the best of both worlds: good scripts that are inclusive?

This isn't crazy. Or hard.
I think you overestimate the number of good scripts there are.

Jedijax719

The problem isn't the diversity we see on screen, it's the mindset of the people behind the scenes. They're making conscious decisions to forego quality to achieve their DE&I goals.
Okay, I will say that THAT'S a problem, especially with waning viewership and theater attendance. I'm sure there's a way to have inclusion in said "incredibly well-written"scripts if need be. I mean, that can be accomplished with casting.

Does inclusion mean including actors/actresses from certain groups or including characters from certain groups? Problem is that if you cast someone from a certain ethnicity or race, they will retain that race in the show. That's a visual aspect of the person. If you cast someone with a certain sexual orientation or identity, it's as if you HAVE to make their preference or identity a vital part of their character to make that aspect of inclusion known. That's because their characteristic is about behavior and lifestyle, mostly in private life rather than a physical attribute like race or a handicap. How do you show sexual inclusion without making the sexuality an aspect of the character's plot? I can fully understand the choppy waters there.

But that's ABC. Not sure to what extent that applies to other shows or movies. I mean-how many people even watch network tv anymore lol.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom