'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

LittleBuford

Depends on their views sadly. A lot of america taking kids to films are parents, and in my own personal experiences, a lot of them still "aren't cool" with too much representation. It's not that they dislike gay people or even gay representation, but the "overbearingness" of it is too much for them. And this is not coming from only online. This is real life experiences I have.

I think people forget today's parents are folks from the 80s and maybe early 90s all grown up.
But how it is overbearing if it’s a five-minute subplot that has no bearing on the overall plot?

TP2000

Well if that’s really what’s going on, I hope Disney continues to make films that keep such people away.

Okay. How many fiscal years do you think they can do that? How long can Burbank hold out burning $100 to $150 Million per film? Two more years? Three? Maybe four if they start selling off some property and smaller divisions?

Remember, as of today Wakanda Forever still hasn't earned a profit. It cost $250 Million to produce, and it's global box office hasn't yet broken the 3X The Budget threshold of $750 Million. That will happen sometime this weekend, but it's already petering out at the box office. Wakanda Forever may only make $100 Million or less for Burbank.

And you want them to continue making flops like Lightyear and Strange World just to prove a point?

That's not realistically or financially sustainable, no matter how lofty the ambition.

TwilightZone

But how it is overbearing if it’s a five-minute subplot that has no bearing on the overall plot?
To some people, it doesn't matter how long it is in there, if its there its already too long, too much, too overbearing.

The people I know in my life aren't that extreme thankfully, but there's plenty of people that are.

I'm not one of those people, I don't really care there's a gay crush in the movie. But I do care its failing in the box office during such a hard time for the company. I don't think the gay crush is causing the movie to fail, but I do understand why its a point to consider as well.

Californian Elitist

I’m less cynical than that. I tend to think the film would have done well if Disney had marketed it more effectively and if critics had liked it more than they did. I’m not convinced that the brief depiction of a gay crush is enough to have kept significant numbers of parents away.
I agree. The movie was barely marketed. I didn’t even know it was being released this year.

LittleBuford

And you want them to continue making flops like Lightyear and Strange World just to prove a point?
No, I want them to make great films that people will want to see. Lightyear was a rubbish movie, and for reasons that have nothing to do with diversity. I can’t really speak to Strange World, having not yet seen it, but it’s not like critics are raving about it. There are easier ways to explain why it failed than its brief portrayal of a gay crush.

And to be clear, I think you missed the fact that I was being somewhat facetious in my last reply to you, because I don’t think that’s what’s going on at all. If a film is good enough, people will want to see it. Sure, there are those who will stay away for ideological reasons if they know gay themes will be addressed, but their numbers are shrinking, and I doubt very much that we owe Strange World’s poor showing to such a zealous minority.

TP2000

No, I want them to make great films that people will want to see. Lightyear was a rubbish movie, and for reasons that have nothing to do with diversity. I can’t really speak to Strange World, having not yet seen it, but it’s not like critics are raving about it. There are easier ways to explain why it failed than its brief portrayal of a gay crush.

I agree with all of that! :)

And to be clear, I think you missed the fact that I was being somewhat facetious in my last reply to you, because I don’t think that’s what’s going on at all.

I think I did. But let's be kind and just blame the two glasses of Pinot Grigio on a weeknight which apparently equals "bombed", instead of me just being a bit dense in general. :cool:

If a film is good enough, people will want to see it. Sure, there are those who will stay away for ideological reasons if they know gay themes will be addressed, but their numbers are shrinking, and I doubt very much that we owe Strange World’s poor showing to such a zealous minority.

I agree with that as well. Strange World failed mostly all on its own, regardless of any gay sub-plot. There were a few folks here who said that the gay sub-plot was being discussed in Facebook parenting groups, and I believe them and think that deserves a portion of the blame. But not the majority of the blame.

This movie has just been a disaster for Disney. But because it involves a gay sub-plot, I fear the industry media covering it won't ever really dive in to why it failed so spectacularly. Which is a shame. Because any business worth its monthly payroll can't continue on a path like this for very long.

mickEblu

I imagine the reason for the set-up is the exact reason that we aren't allowed to discuss here for some bizarre reason. It's the ultimate The Emperor Has No Clothes scenario, where we all know it but no one is allowed to say it. If the author of this article did come out and say it, he'd be blasted as a hate-monger and horrible bigot who must be fired from his blogging job immediately and cancelled from polite society forever.

Which is the part I find the most damning. They designed and manufactured toys, books, and children's clothing for Strange World. Then purposely didn't send all that merch to stores at Christmas, and only offered it online in backwater search tabs. That's really weird!

I'm going to go out on a limb and risk having my post deleted or "reported" by someone with hurt feelings and say that the plot and story arcs of the main Strange World characters, namely Ethan and how his family responds to him, was shoehorned into the story a couple years ago after the story had already been developed. Then the Ethan character and all the supportive pablum the other characters heap on him doomed this movie with test audiences. And in the months leading up to the film's release, the popular governor of Florida was cruising to an easy landslide victory in November's election, just to rub salt in Burbank's wounds.

So Disney had no choice but to bury the film and take the loss. Pull the children's merch from distribution, run only a few ads in the few days before opening, and hope to God no one makes a big deal about it.

The fact that male audiences over age 25 hated this movie is proof that a big mistake was made with the story development for Strange World. This should have been the ultimate father/son adventure guy movie! The 2020's version of Cars and a big money maker in merch and boys t-shirts and a sequel. But obviously, it is not.

So in Burbank's defense, this is perhaps the best last minute scenario they could come up with for this film.
I don't envy them though. :(

The fact that they decided the father/ son adventure movie was the right movie for the gay crush stuff is a real head scratcher. Of course without even getting into the fact that it’s a PG animated film. Just “interesting” choices all around.

mickEblu

Like I've said before here, none of the advertising hints at any of the characters being gay at all. In fact I didn't even know it starred a gay character until I visited this forum. The closest there is in any of the advertisments was a character who, to me anyways, has a stereotypical "gay voice".

The most obvious thing about the characters in the trailer is that its a mixed family. Disney has released many movies recently starring people from other cultures that made more bank than Strange World, so its not that either.

It's just a bland looking movie from trailers alone.

People/ families opposed to this kind of stuff in childrens cartoons were on high alert after Lightyear.

LittleBuford

Well different cultures/ ethnicities/ races is much different than the inclusion we find in Lightyear and Strange World. Also the three you listed were good movies.
So the difference for you lies in the later films’ (brief) portrayal of same-sex romance?

Also the three you listed were good movies.
That’s my point. They were good movies and full of diversity. See, it can be done!

TwilightZone

Duck Circling GIF by Daniela Sherer

This thread be like

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom