Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

Lucky

Suppose the new attraction we were discussing was Minnie's Country House, with some interactive elements in the kitchen. There'd be a lot of the same objections: It's not a ride, it's for a limited demographic etc. etc.

But that place was always mobbed - more so than the ride just across the street.

LithiumBill

Mawg

Suppose the new attraction we were discussing was Minnie's Country House, with some interactive elements in the kitchen. There'd be a lot of the same objections: It's not a ride, it's for a limited demographic etc. etc.

But that place was always mobbed - more so than the ride just across the street.

I wouldn't say mobbed, it was a small house that only held 20 people or so at a time. It felt mobbed but again probably only 25% of guests actually visited it (or less)

Mawg

20???? More like 20 in each room.

Yeah, you're right, I don't remember it that well, I only did it once. No one I went with was ever that interested in it. Too bad it got bulldozed. I would argue that Minnie's house was less targeted than this though and it costs a lot less than this, so this is still a bigger gamble. Again though, I'm not saying this is a bad thing so I hope you're not trying to pick an arguement and I am trying to be objective about it.

Captain Chaos

So, since some people have now seen this in person, can anyone confirm if you can just walk through the cottage, experience the mirror effect, hang out to see the wardrobe AA and leave without having to sit through the rest?

Mawg

So, since some people have now seen this in person, can anyone confirm if you can just walk through the cottage, experience the mirror effect, hang out to see the wardrobe AA and leave without having to sit through the rest?

I cannot, but I would imagine like any Disney show you can make a quite escape to the exit at any time, little kids do have to pee often.
You might hurt Belle's feelings and make her cry though.

Captain Chaos

I cannot, but I would imagine like any Disney show you can make a quite escape to the exit at any time, little kids do have to pee often.
You might hurt Belle's feelings and make her cry though.
Eh she cries, she cries...

I wouldn't mind checking out the cottage but I would down right refuse to sit, or stand, through the other stuff...

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If the little ones are happy with the old way, I say (and anyone/everyone feel free to disagree) let them keep it the way it's been done since the M&G phenomenon first arrived. Spend the extra money in places where it will be better appreciated by a broader audience. This doesn't mean don't give the kids nothing, but don't give them more than the want/need/can appreciate.

I think most of the show / details added here are actually for the benefit of the parents, not the kids. I don't know what happens to our brains when we have kids, but a 5 second greet and photo with Tink/Rosetta was one of my favorite parts of our last trip, just watching my kid interact. The thought that my time in line means that she will likely be able to take part in an extended "play" session makes that time in line seem easier to handle. And while I watch her fidget through an awkward play (and honestly love every minute of it), I will also be able to appreciate the extra details that they added in to make the experience more immersive.
I don't think a kid who cant yet care about the fact that Mickey doesn't blink or move his mouth is going to care about all the details, but I will appreciate them as my kid experiences the things that they do care about.

Again though, that is the opinion of someone who fits the core demographic to a T, the father of 2 young girls. I have a rather influenced opinion on this due to that and don't know what my opinion would have been 5 years ago, or 10 years from now when this attraction will probably fall out of the rotation of must-do every visit.

Animaniac93-98

I may have missed this point, but how do you get back to Belle's home from the castle (in the context of the "story")? Is there another mirror, or just a hallway?

Lucky

Yeah, you're right, I don't remember it that well, I only did it once. No one I went with was ever that interested in it. Too bad it got bulldozed. I would argue that Minnie's house was less targeted than this though and it costs a lot less than this, so this is still a bigger gamble. Again though, I'm not saying this is a bad thing so I hope you're not trying to pick an arguement and I am trying to be objective about it.
Nope, I'm just trying to make the point that walk-throughs with interactive elements can be as popular as rides, so it's not as if this is a waste of money. Plus, they're a lot cheaper and take up a lot less space - so it's very unlikely FLE would have gotten another ride if this hadn't been built. It wasn't one or the other.

Kuhio

I may have missed this point, but how do you get back to Belle's home from the castle (in the context of the "story")? Is there another mirror, or just a hallway?
It looks like you just exit through a plain set of doors into a hallway, so I don't think there's any explanation for how you return from the castle in the context of the "story."

I suppose Disney is assuming that guests will be so dazzled by the audience-participation theater they just witnessed (and maybe even receiving a bookmark from Belle!) that they won't notice this discrepancy in the attraction narrative.

Mawg

Nope, I'm just trying to make the point that walk-throughs with interactive elements can be as popular as rides, so it's not as if this is a waste of money. Plus, they're a lot cheaper and take up a lot less space - so it's very unlikely FLE would have gotten another ride if this hadn't been built. It wasn't one or the other.

I somewhat agree with you, at least for the first year. It's new and everyone will want to experience it even if it's not their thing, I think after a year, it will die down and you'll see more and more of only the target demographic going. I myself have a crush on Belle and have since I was a boy and my wife knows and teases me about it. So, I'll sit through it if not just to watch the cool animatronic Lumiere. I also think this very targeted demographic may make up for the cost of such an attraction in merchandise sales.

Buried20KLeague

I'm a 37 year old mom to a 2 year old girl, and i'm sorry but this pre-school play with cheap paper cut outs is painful to watch. Why can't Belle just come out and tell a 2 minute story herself and then everyone go up to meet her? To make people suffer through this just to meet Belle is torture.

I completely agree with this.

Some of this whole thing is just fine. The mirror, the AA's, being taken to the library. I just do NOT get the cutout thing with the kids acting it out. It really does feel painful. I agree that anyone over 5 will be doing some serious eye-rolling.

The worst part, I think, is that this goofy acting out means there isn't time for everyone to actually MEET and GREET Belle. I don't get it.

There are parts of this I like... But that play?? Ooofah. :confused:

Buried20KLeague

I shouldn't, but...

You mean the same small children that would have been just as delighted with a well-themed, traditional M&G experience that didn't cost millions of dollars which could have been put to better use?
Those small children?

I've actually got to disagree a BIT with you here, Lee. Trying to look at it through my little girl's eyes (she's about to turn 4), the mirror and AA's will be a BIG deal to her. She's a park veteran, and I know what she notices and doesn't... And she's going to talk about the "magic mirror" and the wardrobe and Lumiere, especially. Those things will make the experience completely REAL for them.

What she'll complain about, I'm QUITE SURE, is if she doesn't get picked for the little skit, and the fact that she couldn't hug Belle and talk to her and take a picture with her. That's what I don't understand about this whole setup.

And in just a couple years, I think she'll tire of the whole skit idea entirely.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I've actually got to disagree a BIT with you here, Lee. Trying to look at it through my little girl's eyes (she's about to turn 4), the mirror and AA's will be a BIG deal to her. She's a park veteran, and I know what she notices and doesn't... And she's going to talk about the "magic mirror" and the wardrobe and Lumiere, especially. Those things will make the experience completely REAL for them.

What she'll complain about, I'm QUITE SURE, is if she doesn't get picked for the little skit, and the fact that she couldn't hug Belle and talk to her and take a picture with her. That's what I don't understand about this whole setup.

And in just a couple years, I think she'll tire of the whole skit idea entirely.

According to the Touring Plans article there are enough parts in the show for everyone to participate who wants to, and that everyone can get a picture with Belle even if they decide not to participate in the show.

ReganA

There is a great write up and photos on the Miceage Micechat website called Preview of Enchanted Tales with Belle at Walt Disney World. It looks like it is a big hit with the kids. Very nicely done.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Funny... People didn't seem so upset over the olivanders wand shop where only ONE person gets picked.. Not many... The character isn't olivander... And not only that, but the person picked still has to buy the wand to complete the experience...

These 'concerns' about not getting picked.. Or story telling... And these things Sinking the show are turning a blind eye to the previous experiences that do exactly the same thing.

Jedi academy anyone???

Buried20KLeague

Funny... People didn't seem so upset over the olivanders wand shop where only ONE person gets picked.. Not many... The character isn't olivander... And not only that, but the person picked still has to buy the wand to complete the experience...

These 'concerns' about not getting picked.. Or story telling... And these things Sinking the show are turning a blind eye to the previous experiences that do exactly the same thing.

Jedi academy anyone???

I see those shows that take a volunteer as different. In this case, the non volunteers are going to be just an arm's length away, not separated by a wide space (like the academy). If my 4 year old is right up on Belle but can't talk to her or give her a hug, she won't understand why.

But as stated in the post above, if touring plans is reporting everyone will get that opportunity, the point is moot.

Still don't like the skit idea though.

Why not have 4 or 5 interesting things in the room for people to watch and check out freely, while belle just walked around to the different families (a la character dining)? Lumiere in one area, the rose dropping petals in another, maybe a magic window showing the beast's castle doing different things (like the scenes inside DL's castle), maybe cogsworth telling a story in another corner. ???

Seems like that would do wonders for repeatability, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom