Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

LithiumBill

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...anted-tales-with-belle-at-magic-kingdom-park/

A quick search brought up this link which makes a reference to fans of all ages, and I think that represents a miscalculation of cross-demographic appeal in Disney's pitch, if you will, to potential vacationers.

STORYTIME with Belle, kinda point to the idea that it's for kids though, right? It's for all ages, as the toddlers it's aimed at are not flying to Orlando by themselves. ;)

Mickey_777

Yes, I agree most old school dark rides are cheap cardboard props, but this is year 2012!! There is NO excuse!!!!

I'm glad you brought up that example of the Beast's library in DCA. I've seen it in person and it's ultra cheap looking. The dimension is given thru an airbrush paint effect and the books aren't real either. Yes, cut outs once again with blue lighting behind it. And the fire in the fire place is projected. Here's the picture I took when I visited.

BeastL.jpg

Also, I would never compare this with POC or WWHP or HM. Those are E tickets. I'm talking about the traditional, noisy, bare bones Disney dark rides. Winnie the Pooh, the former Snow White etc...that's what I'm talking about. I'd name more from DL but it would seem you haven't been there lately.

Again, in my opinion (and not wanting to disrespect anyone elses opion) folks wouldn't have much to complain about if they had stuck you in a cramped little train running thru Maurice's cottage. My favorite part of of Pinocchio in DL is the Gepetto workshop and fireplace scene but you zoom past it so it's difficult to catch all the details. I'm always wanting to see more of that scene. I think this attraction will allow you to take it all in more than if it were a ride. To me, not everything has to be a ride. We've got plenty of those. I love non-ride related sights and attractions as much as I do actual rides. But hey that's me.

wannab@dis

I accuse Disney of "going cheap" when it comes to maintenence and show upkeep. Hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with that.

There is a difference between complaining when something isn't done well, and pointing out when it was done almost "too well." I've seen the "But you aren't the target audience, kids are!" line tossed around here a lot lately, and I totally agree with the opinion that this Belle thing is aimed squarely at little kids and the parents who want to take their photo with a princess.

However, I will maintain the same stance I have since the earliest released details of FLE. That is that there is no reason to spend millions of dollars on a brief M&G experience whose target audience, as folks love to point out, is little kids. They loved Storytime with Belle, and Ariel's Grotto, and the new Brave M&G. Why not spend the extra millions on something with a broader reach and appeal, and leave the M&G concept simple and inexpensive, the way it's worked well for years?
I would agree more is needed with some aspects... Splash and Yeti quickly come to mind. But, I see a lot of things being done also.

However, I see several who would have everyone believe that Disney has lost the "Disney Touch." Yet, here we have a great example of them going above and beyond and STILL some find fault. Like I've mentioned before, the credible and objective calls for better upkeep and investment get lost in the noise of this over-the-top complaining.

LithiumBill

I'll take this in 3 parts. First the target audience. Every single attraction in WDW could be looked at and tweaked to fit a broader range, but at what cost? Every attraction excludes someone. There is no such thing as an attraction everyone can go on and/or enjoy so why try to strike a target so elusive that you can never hit. If we every attraction was designed to fit the broadest target audience we would have no Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, ToT, etc. I have no problem with Disney making an attraction the hones in on a small market, even if that market is not me.

Second, the change to the M&G. A-E tickets worked well for years but they were abandoned for a better system. SwB might be the next evolution of the M&G. It might work it might not, but there is nothing wrong with Disney trying to plus an experience that is incredibly popular with most guests.

Lastly, the money. Only time will tell if it is worth the investment or not. Why you and I might see it as a waste equivalent to replacing the headlights on a totaled car, the reality might turn out to be quite different when the spread sheets are filled out.

Well said, sir.

wannab@dis

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...anted-tales-with-belle-at-magic-kingdom-park/

A quick search brought up this link which makes a reference to fans of all ages, and I think that represents a miscalculation of cross-demographic appeal in Disney's pitch, if you will, to potential vacationers.

article linked above said:
Once inside, guests will step through a magic mirror and find themselves inside Beast’s expansive library, which he created as a gift for Belle in the film. This room will serve as the setting for a memorable character interaction experience with Belle – which will require a little help from Lumiere, the enchanted candlestick.

Really? Seems fairly clear to me what the attraction will be. ;)

Lee

Adventurer
I'll take this in 3 parts. First the target audience. Every single attraction in WDW could be looked at and tweaked to fit a broader range, but at what cost? Every attraction excludes someone. There is no such thing as an attraction everyone can go on and/or enjoy so why try to strike a target so elusive that you can never hit. If we every attraction was designed to fit the broadest target audience we would have no Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, ToT, etc. I have no problem with Disney making an attraction the hones in on a small market, even if that market is not me.
No, I agree that they should make attractions that target every audience. No doubt, I 100% agree. I'm a staunch believer in "Something for everyone, not everything for everyone."

However, before spending millions on an attraction, I think they should take the target audience into account and budget accordingly. It's purely my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree, that if the little kids were happy with a traditional M&G...why spend so much to upgrade the experience with details and such that the target audience can't appreciate?

If the little ones are happy with the old way, I say (and anyone/everyone feel free to disagree) let them keep it the way it's been done since the M&G phenomenon first arrived. Spend the extra money in places where it will be better appreciated by a broader audience. This doesn't mean don't give the kids nothing, but don't give them more than the want/need/can appreciate.

But that's just me. I admit I don't relate to kids and their needs very well at all...:D

wannab@dis

However, before spending millions on an attraction, I think they should take the target audience into account and budget accordingly. It's purely my opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree, that if the little kids were happy with a traditional M&G...why spend so much to upgrade the experience with details and such that the target audience can't appreciate?

Pardon the partial quote there, but I want to turn your statement around and state it like I've seen many times in a very condescending manner...

Why spend money on upkeep when most of the pixie dusters won't know the difference?

That's what they are accused of all of the time by several around these parts. But when examples are shown showing the opposite is true, some will still find fault. I get that this attraction doesn't consider you as part of the demographic and my kids' age will knock us out of that demographic shortly, but I think anyone who looks at this attraction objectively could only come to one conclusion. They went above and beyond in the grand Disney Way, and, I think, that's what we all want!

Hopefully you see the point I'm making... no offense is meant! :)

alissafalco

I'm glad you brought up that example of the Beast's library in DCA. I've seen it in person and it's ultra cheap looking. The dimension is given thru an airbrush paint effect and the books aren't real either. Yes, cut outs once again with blue lighting behind it. And the fire in the fire place is projected. Here's the picture I took when I visited.

BeastL.jpg

Also, I would never compare this with POC or WWHP or HM. Those are E tickets. I'm talking about the traditional, noisy, bare bones Disney dark rides. Winnie the Pooh, the former Snow White etc...that's what I'm talking about. I'd name more from DL but it would seem you haven't been there lately.

So you think Beasts library in DCA is cheap and WDW's isnt and has great detail??... Um ... OK

Im glad you clarified which dark rides you were talking about because in your original post you said this is better than ANY dark ride in the US.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No, I agree that they should make attractions that target every audience. No doubt, I 100% agree. I'm a staunch believer in "Something for everyone, not everything for everyone."

If the little ones are happy with the old way, I say (and anyone/everyone feel free to disagree) let them keep it the way it's been done since the M&G phenomenon first arrived. Spend the extra money in places where it will be better appreciated by a broader audience. This doesn't mean don't give the kids nothing, but don't give them more than the want/need/can appreciate.

But that's just me. I admit I don't relate to kids and their needs very well at all...:D
It is a different world. I went from a 29 year old guy that never wanted kids to a 30 year old father of 3. Talk about culture shock.:eek:

Mawg

The audience or target demographic for this attraction is probably the smallest demographic yet for an attraction of this cost and size. That is really what most people are complaining about. Let’s break down the demographic. It’s going to appeal more towards families with girls between the ages of 3 and 7 and maybe a few boys in that age group as well. If we say the average life expectancy of a person is 70 and they can enjoy this when they are between 3 and 7, their kids are that age or their grandkids are that age, then it appeal to a person 12 years out of their life or 17% of their life. If we divide that in half for girls we are at around 9% of people will find this currently enjoyable durring a trip to the world. I’ll give it 25% for those outside of the demographic who still might find this enjoyable.
This is still a small demographic to build an attraction for of this cost and size. So is it worth it? I don’t think they, or we know the answer to that yet, and that is why I see this as an experimental meet and greet. Is it worth this cost for an experiment? Maybe?

This demographic is very influential; they spend a lot of money on merchandise and at character meals. All attractions aimed at this demographic specifically have been relatively low cost to this point. Princess and Fairy meet and greets, character meals, boutiques, face painting, dress ups, etc. One might say that this demographic is what Disney is most known for and caters to.

This attraction will not be repeated by many, once is enough. Would you try this at Disneyland where the crowds are made up of a lot of locals…no. But at Disney World where they cater to the National and International crowds there are less frequent visitors and more first timers. If you are going to experiment with this, it’s probably in the right place. And it’s in Fantasyland.

This demographic gives Disney a lot of money, why shouldn’t they experiment on them, granted they dropped a lot of money on the experiment. Only time will tell if they spent it wisely. If it doesn’t work out at least they know not to do it again, and if it does work out they are genius.

For me, I’m going to go look at this with my two young boys, we’ll probably enjoy it but it won’t be the highlight of their trip but it might be for the target demographic. I give Disney kudos for trying something new and they did a great job on some of the theming. I’m skeptic that this will prove to be genius and I don’t see them doing this again for this demographic. But maybe a different very targeted demographic. That is maybe a new thought is let’s build a few attractions that really target a small demographic but do it very well for that demographic. They just need to make sure they keep targeting different demographics. Super High Thrill, Pirates, etc.

Now let’s just put this to rest and wait and see what the outcome to the experiment is (in the eyes of Disney at least).

LithiumBill

I think that one of these encounters per park (of this size) is great, two would be a bit much, and three would be far too much.

I can see them using similar technology and level of detail at DHS for a new JEDI Academy show, with an AA Yoda, that would target a bigger swatch of kids, and a bigger fan base. And I think a similar type of interactive show as well...

Mawg

I think that one of these encounters per park (of this size) is great, two would be a bit much, and three would be far too much.

I can see them using similar technology and level of detail at DHS for a new JEDI Academy show, with an AA Yoda, that would target a bigger swatch of kids, and a bigger fan base. And I think a similar type of interactive show as well...

While I agree because that is more my target demographic, when it's over and my boys want to buy something in the gift shop that's star wars related, Diseny is not going to get 100% of the profits. They are going to have to share it with Lucas. When the little girls get out of this B&B meet and greet and go into the store which will be on the way out I'm sure, Disney will keep 100% of the profits. This meet and greet is all going to be about the store afterwards and paying for the pictures taken. At least that is what I think Disney's hope is.

Mickey_777

Question: Why is the demographic for this considered to be so small (little girls only) when those whom have actually experienced this say it's not so much a M&G as it is a show where young and old, male and female, participate? Sources say there is no actual picture-taking with Belle. Photos are taken of the the kids/parents interacting with Belle, no one on one. Besides, if you like the film, you fit the demographic no matter how old or manly you are if you ask me. But I guess ain't nobody askin' me...

Mawg

Where did you see this video, I've seen a couple and none have showed anyone exiting yet, I wanted to see the theming of the exit and how you leave the castle. But, then I thought it's probably just a gift shop and nothing to see. Now I'm interested again.

Mawg

Question: Why is the demographic for this considered to be so small (little girls only) when those whom have actually experienced this say it's not so much a M&G as it is a show where young and old, male and female, participate? Sources say there is no actual picture-taking with Belle. Photos are taken of the the kids/parents interacting with Belle, no one on one. Besides, if you like the film, you fit the demographic no matter how old or manly you are if you ask me. But didn't nobody ask me...

I tripled my figure for people who would like to see this that do not have little girls. Sorry, it's my opinion and by reading a lot of the post on here, I think it is justified. I just don't think a lot of people are going to want to participate in this if they don't fit the target demographic nor sit through watching everyone else participate. I could be very wrong, again we'll have to wait and see. I'm not one however to be upset that they did this for a specific demographic.

Mawg

Oh, and I did see a photographer there taking pictures. So you can get a picture but you have to pay for it or buy the CD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom