Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

tomman710

I doubt if the real choice was between this BatB interactive attraction and a BatB ride. More likely it was a choice between this one or nothing. People on here cheered the closing 4 years ago of the Pocahantas (kids') show at AK, thinking it would be replaced by some wonderful ride. You know what's there now, 4 years later? Nothing.

I agree with you, I don't think it was an either or situation but I do think at some point in this process someone at least said, "what about a belle dark ride?" But I think you're right it was that or nothing.

Additionally, I have kids ... I understand the value of character interaction. I was just saying very simply they COULD have done this as a ride (in my personal opinion they SHOULD have). Imagine how those AAs would look in a ride? But they stuck with plussing an attraction they already had (Storytime) and hey it's certainly plussed, there is no way to deny that. But FLE needed at least another D-Ticket (but really an E) and this could have been it ... or added to the sum.

So I have no knowledge of the particulars or insider information (although one could argue that this had to be a discussion because at some point the pros and cons of ride vs m&g were discussed which is evident by the fact that the rest of the m&g's were scraped for a ride) ... I was just saying a ride would/could have been better received so philosophically they "went cheap" by doing a super plussed, admittedly, meet and greet in lieu of a ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
I'd be curious to know what the general consensus would be if you polled the "man on the street" and asked a simple question would you rather Disney built a BatB ride or a BatB meet and greet?

I'd have to imagine even the majority of people that love meet and greets would prefer a ride, right?

So what 7 out of 10 would say ride? Is that being too conservative?

I think if they went ride there ... thereby adding three D-Tickets (although one is a replacement so really 2 D-tickets) then there would be less doom but the status quo on gloom (because come on, we needed an E) but I think a BatB dark ride would have been more of a step in the right (logical) direction.

You can't tell me that someone in these meetings didn't bring up the idea of it ... the final end result M&G has got to be considerably less upfront and maintenance costs than a dark ride would have been ... hence "went cheap" ...

If you asked the "man on the street" to choose between a dark ride and a meet and greet, I feel this would be his response.

Man: Would it be a Harry Potter/Spiderman level dark ride?
Me: Probably not
Man: Oh, well if it's not that, then it has to be on the level of detail and AA's as PoTC and Haunted Mansion
Man: So it's just a simple dark ride based on a disney film?
Me: Yeah, it seems that way
Man: Simple dark rides are nice, but how is a 3 min dark ride based on a disney film going to influence me to go to disney?
Me: I have no clue
Man: They have anything else? I don't think my kids are gonna be amazed by a new dark ride that isn't PoTC or Spiderman
Me: Well they also have this storybook with belle idea. It's already in the parks but now it's going to be much more interactive and immersed in detail and AA's as well.
Man: Hmm, while I wouldn't go to Storybook with belle myself, I think my kids are gonna really enjoy that experience with belle herself, and not just looking at her in AA form while riding in an attraction.
Me: Yeah I mean, I've always felt that the most memorable things that I do in disney are well themed and detailed attractions and interactivity. Storybook with belle seems to do both. While I may not go to it alone, I'm not going to be selfish and not reailze that kids are going to truly enjoy this experience.

RSoxNo1

I shouldn't, but...

You mean the same small children that would have been just as delighted with a well-themed, traditional M&G experience that didn't cost millions of dollars which could have been put to better use?
Those small children?
Personally, I think the air conditioned Character Spot concept is a great one. Thematically it's not great but they're [kids] what do they know?

tomman710

If you asked the "man on the street" to choose between a dark ride and a meet and greet, I feel this would be his response.

Man: Would it be a Harry Potter/Spiderman level dark ride?
Man: Oh, well if it's not that, then it has to be on the level of detail and AA's as PoTC and Haunted Mansion
Man: So it's just a simple dark ride based on a disney film?
Me: Yeah, it seems that way
Man: Simple dark rides are nice, but how is a 3 min dark ride based on a disney film going to influence me to go to disney?
Me: I have no clue
Man: They have anything else? I don't think my kids are gonna be amazed by a new dark ride that isn't PoTC or Spiderman
Me: Well they also have this storybook with belle idea. It's already in the parks but now it's going to be much more interactive and immersed in detail and AA's as well.
Man: Hmm, while I wouldn't go to Storybook with belle myself, I think my kids are gonna really enjoy that experience with belle herself, and not just looking at her in AA form while riding in an attraction.
Me: Yeah I mean, I've always felt that the most memorable things that I do in disney are well themed and detailed attractions and interactivity. Storybook with belle seems to do both. While I may not go to it alone, I'm not going to be selfish and not reailze that kids are going to truly enjoy this experience.

You personally (granted this is a tough question without experiencing both but hey JT says youtube video is the equivalent if not better than being there so go with it) would you rather have the LM Dark Ride or whatever the equivalent (to Storytime with Belle) a LM Meet and Greet would be? Just you personally, not what you think others may like ... just you, one or the other?

LithiumBill

We forget that 99% of the people do not visit boards like this, that they are not reading up on what is coming, they have no idea what might have been or might be coming... we are a select few of fan(atics), that stay up to date all things Disney.

TalkingHead

I find it puzzling that after you walk through the mirror door, the first thing you see in the room is...the side of the Armoire AA.

Seems that it would be far more impressive to meet the Armoire head-on at the opposite end of the room, so that you'd be drawn into the space.

I'm sure there's some logistical reason why they chose to do it this way, right?

wannab@dis

There is no contradiction. You're incorrectly conflating my expectations for this with my observations and critique of the marketing of this attraction. Disney Parks Blog has gone out of their way to say that this experience is similarly inclusive to a dark ride like, say, TSMM and the new Little Mermaid ride, and it is clearly not. My expectations based on knowledge from other sources doesn't make my criticism contradictory. That is what I am taking issue with.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...anted-tales-with-belle-at-magic-kingdom-park/
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...rough-her-magic-mirror-at-magic-kingdom-park/
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ary-in-new-fantasyland-at-magic-kingdom-park/

Just a quick search and you'll see they ALWAYS described it as a character meet and greet... just not a normal meet and greet. So, apparently you conflated that yourself. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but don't blame anyone other than yourself for misguided expectations. Maybe there are other articles that you can point me to that makes it something more, but I don't remember seeing them or hearing about them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Imagine how those AAs would look in a ride?

You mean in a classic ride where you only get to see the AA for a dozen seconds or so?

Don't you see how this type of presentatioN used here is actually a foat that actually lets you appreciate the AA more?

For all the 'a ride is better' talk... It's actually worse if it's the AA you want to appreciate

wannab@dis

You mean in a classic ride where you only get to see the AA for a dozen seconds or so?

Don't you see how this type of presentatioN used here is actually a foat that actually lets you appreciate the AA more?

For all the 'a ride is better' talk... It's actually worse if it's the AA you want to appreciate
We don't agree very often, but I wanted to say 'thanks' for your impartial view of this addition.

LithiumBill

You may find the word "shoddy" objectionable in this context, but now we are just talking about semantics.

Have you seen the photos on MICEAGE, and has that changed your opinion on the detailing? Show aside, I still think you are not being realistic on the idea that the interiors are cheap-looking.

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah, you continuously say Disney goes cheap on anything and everything, maybe not this specific attraction, but that's not what I said either. Accusing Disney they "overdid" something was not what I would expect from you - I thought that was the Disney Difference that some want us to believe is dead and buried. ;)
I accuse Disney of "going cheap" when it comes to maintenence and show upkeep. Hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with that.

There is a difference between complaining when something isn't done well, and pointing out when it was done almost "too well." I've seen the "But you aren't the target audience, kids are!" line tossed around here a lot lately, and I totally agree with the opinion that this Belle thing is aimed squarely at little kids and the parents who want to take their photo with a princess.

However, I will maintain the same stance I have since the earliest released details of FLE. That is that there is no reason to spend millions of dollars on a brief M&G experience whose target audience, as folks love to point out, is little kids. They loved Storytime with Belle, and Ariel's Grotto, and the new Brave M&G. Why not spend the extra millions on something with a broader reach and appeal, and leave the M&G concept simple and inexpensive, the way it's worked well for years?

LithiumBill

They loved Storytime with Belle, and Ariel's Grotto, and the new Brave M&G. Why not spend the extra millions on something with a broader reach and appeal, and leave the M&G concept simple and inexpensive, the way it's worked well for years?

My bet is that they know that parents (me included) hate the switchback M&G's... these encounters are important for the kiddos, but it can be painful for the parent. Why not make it the best of both worlds? My experience waiting 1:30 minutes to meet Rapunzel on our last visit was horrid, but my daughters wanted to see her badly, and I waited... I'd much rather enjoy my wait with a better environment.

I also know in 5 or so years from now, my family will have out grown the M&G demo... so we'll move on to other things.

flynnibus

Premium Member
However, I will maintain the same stance I have since the earliest released details of FLE. That is that there is no reason to spend millions of dollars on a brief M&G experience whose target audience, as folks love to point out, is little kids. They loved Storytime with Belle, and Ariel's Grotto, and the new Brave M&G. Why not spend the extra millions on something with a broader reach and appeal, and leave the M&G concept simple and inexpensive, the way it's worked well for years?

So you suggest that disney has proven in the past that because one experience was well accepted... There is no point in improving it?

Why don't we just give our kids empty boxes... After all they've played with those in the past and seemed happy with it. We should take that money spent on Disney vacations and use it on something that has a wider appeal...

Disney should always be improving the theme park experience... Even if the benefactor is 'little kids'

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I accuse Disney of "going cheap" when it comes to maintenence and show upkeep. Hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with that.

There is a difference between complaining when something isn't done well, and pointing out when it was done almost "too well." I've seen the "But you aren't the target audience, kids are!" line tossed around here a lot lately, and I totally agree with the opinion that this Belle thing is aimed squarely at little kids and the parents who want to take their photo with a princess.

I'll take this in 3 parts. First the target audience. Every single attraction in WDW could be looked at and tweaked to fit a broader range, but at what cost? Every attraction excludes someone. There is no such thing as an attraction everyone can go on and/or enjoy so why try to strike a target so elusive that you can never hit. If we every attraction was designed to fit the broadest target audience we would have no Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, ToT, etc. I have no problem with Disney making an attraction the hones in on a small market, even if that market is not me.

Second, the change to the M&G. A-E tickets worked well for years but they were abandoned for a better system. SwB might be the next evolution of the M&G. It might work it might not, but there is nothing wrong with Disney trying to plus an experience that is incredibly popular with most guests.

Lastly, the money. Only time will tell if it is worth the investment or not. Why you and I might see it as a waste equivalent to replacing the headlights on a totaled car, the reality might turn out to be quite different when the spread sheets are filled out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom