Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

Mickey_777

....Except it's not immersive at all. The castle spaces are very sparsely detailed. The whole thing looks very cheaply done, and, if I walked in there not knowing that the space was supposed to be BATB-themed, I would not feel like I am in a castle. Cardboard cutout play-acting aside, I still would take the old dark rides over this as far as immersion goes because, even with primitive technology, they more effectively set the scene they are trying to get guests to buy into.

I'm going to have to respectully disagree. From the moment you walk up to the cottage you're immersed into the story. Then you go inside. Detail. You walk thru the magic mirror/door/portal. Detail. Then you interact with some mighty fine AA's. Detail. With this alone you've trumped every traditional dark ride in the U.S. with the exception of Roger Rabbit. I personally don't care about the paper cut-out props cause I'm not going to ever handle one. Watching some video, I noticed the library also has some nice elements. Speaking of cardboard cut-outs, most old school dark rides are nothing but. Disneylands Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and Alice dark rides are mostly cardboard flat blacklit props. Ironic no?

wannab@dis

I never said they went cheap on this...ummm..."attraction".
My opinion is that they overspent on a glorified M&G, when a traditional one would have pleased the target audience just as much.
The didn't take the "easy way out", they took something simple and way overdid it.

This money should have gone into a ride, maybe even a BatB one, which would have appealed to a much wider demographic and given MK a much needed new attraction.
Yeah, you continuously say Disney goes cheap on anything and everything, maybe not this specific attraction, but that's not what I said either. Accusing Disney they "overdid" something was not what I would expect from you - I thought that was the Disney Difference that some want us to believe is dead and buried. ;)

EXACTLY!!!! I do wonder who's behind the show/attraction scripting these days. Why would anyone think that building only 2 AAs to tell the BatB story and forcing little kids or reluctant adults do the rest was a great idea?
Really? They're forcing people now? Wait, I thought they overspent on this attraction, but now you're saying they didn't build enough AAs?

Maybe this just lends more credence to the fact that malcontents will never be, well, content.

LithiumBill

The number of people on these boards ready to shower praises over this shoddy piece of workmanship...

Didn't we address this? lol. We've not physically been there yet and you are calling it shoddy. The overall consensus from even the DOOMERS is this is a beautifully built area... we've gone over that.

Hate on the show all you want, but this is far from shoddy. You can't complain that they overspent on something that is only a M&G, and then turn around and say they did not spend enough on construction. We know that you feel that it does not match your ideas for what the interior of a hallway at Beast's castle looks like... but the craftsmanship and attention to detail is not "shoddy". Those AA's are not "Shoddy".

Critique the show, and your ideas for why the theme is off - but skip on the CHEAP and SHODDY comments, it really effects your overall argument.

CHEERS!

wannab@dis

But, Disney has consistently used phrases like "for all ages" in their promotion of Enchanted Tales, and this is clearly not something that has that kind of appeal. They also liked to say that we would be exploring Beast's castle, but guests actually see very little of it (and their representation of the castle leaves much to be desired). It is evident that they have tried to repackage the experience as something more cross-demographic simply by putting it in a show building. Perhaps those phrases have just been carelessly used by marketing and social media, but, nevertheless, words do have meaning. Even so, my expectations aren't really the issue. I wasn't expecting much (but I admit that I hoped they would do a little more than just copy the old show). I just brought all that up as a critique of how Disney set up people outside the target audience up for disappointment.

What does matter is this: I trust Lee's word on these matters, and I'm shocked to see that the general sentiment is that they overspent. It's evident from the shoddy theming in the castle that all of the money went to the animatronics (which I concede are nice as standalone pieces), the queue, and the magic mirror, which means that WDI clearly did not prioritize making an environment befitting these effects. They overdid it in some areas and came up short in others, but even had the quality was been more even, it still would be taking up a disproportionate amount of park space. The number of people on these boards ready to shower praises over this shoddy piece of workmanship substantiates the his point that the target audience would have been satisfied with something less expensive and that required less real estate. The target demographic is not underserved at MK, and the new attraction investment since Everest has skewed heavily toward this audience, which Disney already has a lock on and makes the investment in this attraction seem superfluous.
Wait, first you say you didn't expect much more than a copy of the old show... then you mention the new AAs, queue, and mirror. So apparently it's much more than the old show. But since you don't fit the demographics, you're ticked off. And then you attack those that find this a nice addition. Nice.

Shoddy? wow... keep digging

Magenta Panther

Yeah, you continuously say Disney goes cheap on anything and everything, maybe not this specific attraction, but that's not what I said either. Accusing Disney they "overdid" something was not what I would expect from you - I thought that was the Disney Difference that some want us to believe is dead and buried. ;)

Really? They're forcing people now? Wait, I thought they overspent on this attraction, but now you're saying they didn't build enough AAs?

Maybe this just lends more credence to the fact that malcontents will never be, well, content.

Well, yeah, they're forcing people. Or begging them, however you want it phrased. Maybe SOME of the kids will want to participate, but I bet a lot of them will be wondering why they aren't being entertained instead of having to do the entertaining.

tomman710

TECHNICALLY no matter how the "Storytime with Belle" ends up being in person they did philosophically "go cheap" because ... while they invested in animatronics, theming in the cottage, and plussed the M&G experience ... this could have and should have been a Belle Dark Ride ... instead of investing in a ride, maintainence (HA!), and staffing ... they went "cheap" with a plussed M&G hoping everyone would praise them for the themeing and AAs not noticing that in reality this experience was in lieu of a ride.

asianway

Well, yeah, they're forcing people. Or begging them, however you want it phrased. Maybe SOME of the kids will want to participate, but I bet a lot of them will be wondering why they aren't being entertained instead of having to do the entertaining.
Main Street Ops has perfected having people do the entertaining in recent years...see a trend? Who needs Equity?

LithiumBill

they went "cheap" with a plussed M&G hoping everyone would praise them for the themeing and AAs not noticing that in reality this experience was in lieu of a ride.

Then if they built a ride that was considered a "D" ticket that cost the same or more, there would be more DOOM, and maybe less GLOOM?

I'd have preferred a BatB dark ride as well, FYI.

LithiumBill

Really? They are forcing them? I did not see that. I saw the CM ask kids and then move right along when the kid acted shy or not interested... in fact in that video I am pretty sure you see the CM ask a child, then move on, then later the same child asks to be a part of the show...

Lots of kids are nervous or shy, one of my three is, but once others get involved he'll jump right in.

I don't see this as a CHEAP WAY OUT of having a new age version of the TIKI ROOM. I see this as the chance for the audience to interact with Belle. To me the whole experience is to have fun with Belle as she relieves the story with you.

It is NOT for everyone. Be thankful that this will eat some crowd and allow you to enjoy other attractions with less of those meddling kids in your way.

tomman710

Then if they built a ride that was considered a "D" ticket that cost the same or more, there would be more DOOM, and maybe less GLOOM?

I'd have preferred a BatB dark ride as well, FYI.

I'd be curious to know what the general consensus would be if you polled the "man on the street" and asked a simple question would you rather Disney built a BatB ride or a BatB meet and greet?

I'd have to imagine even the majority of people that love meet and greets would prefer a ride, right?

So what 7 out of 10 would say ride? Is that being too conservative?

I think if they went ride there ... thereby adding three D-Tickets (although one is a replacement so really 2 D-tickets) then there would be less doom but the status quo on gloom (because come on, we needed an E) but I think a BatB dark ride would have been more of a step in the right (logical) direction.

You can't tell me that someone in these meetings didn't bring up the idea of it ... the final end result M&G has got to be considerably less upfront and maintenance costs than a dark ride would have been ... hence "went cheap" ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
This attraction was not advertised as something exclusively for small children

It was STORYTIME

Why is that so hard for people to grasp?

And people saying this will never work, etc. uhhh it already has been for years. This is not a new format. The main change is continuous shows vs set times.

To those saying don't spend so much on a character experience... Possibly, but people liked the town hall. I don't see why Disney should hold itself BACK with hiw they dream these up.

It boils down to this is not an attraction for 'you'. Face the music, pick yourself up and stop acting like a spoiled child. You can play this dance with attractions all over the park... Heck you can do it with entire parks! ( all the people too fat or too good to get into a communal pool)

flynnibus

Premium Member
The didn't take the "easy way out", they took something simple and way overdid it.

This money should have gone into a ride, maybe even a BatB one, which would have appealed to a much wider demographic and given MK a much needed new attraction.

Couldn't the same argument be made when Disney does anything that isn't iasw or potc? Or how about when Disney spends millions on just a food establishment?

It plays to a position of simply 'you didn't build what I wanted...'. And not to a credible 'you got this instead of that'

Lucky

I doubt if the real choice was between this BatB interactive attraction and a BatB ride. More likely it was a choice between this one or nothing. People on here cheered the closing 4 years ago of the Pocahantas (kids') show at AK, thinking it would be replaced by some wonderful ride. You know what's there now, 4 years later? Nothing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
TECHNICALLY no matter how the "Storytime with Belle" ends up being in person they did philosophically "go cheap" because ... while they invested in animatronics, theming in the cottage, and plussed the M&G experience ... this could have and should have been a Belle Dark Ride ... instead of investing in a ride, maintainence (HA!), and staffing ... they went "cheap" with a plussed M&G hoping everyone would praise them for the themeing and AAs not noticing that in reality this experience was in lieu of a ride.

This makes the assumption that the pinnacle of character experiences is a ride... A very flawed assumption. Disney already has rides with the characters in them... So why bother with character meets at all?? Because people like one on one interactions. Something you don't get on most rides...

LithiumBill

This makes the assumption that the pinnacle of character experiences is a ride... A very flawed assumption. Disney already has rides with the characters in them... So why bother with character meets at all?? Because people like one on one interactions. Something you don't get on most rides...

It's the "IF IT IS NOT FOR ME, IT"S NOT IMPORTANT" attitude that really irks me.

alissafalco

I'm going to have to respectully disagree. From the moment you walk up to the cottage you're immersed into the story. Then you go inside. Detail. You walk thru the magic mirror/door/portal. Detail. Then you interact with some mighty fine AA's. Detail.

I 100% agree with you up until this point. And then you enter the library...All of sudden everything completely gets cheap and falls down hill (with the exception of the actress Belle herself and her dress). It's as if they ran out of $$ in their budget to finish what they started so they had to throw something together on the cheap to finish this. The library is completely lacking in any kind of detail and looks like a very cheap backdrop. Have you seen the Library in DL? http://www.flickr.com/photos/disneyresort/4134890737/
Compare that to WDW and you can clearly see the difference. Don't get me started on the cheap paper cut outs and painful pre-school play.

With this alone you've trumped every traditional dark ride in the U.S. with the exception of Roger Rabbit.

Thats a mater of opinion and very debatable-POTC, PP,WWOHP and many more.

I personally don't care about the paper cut-out props cause I'm not going to ever handle one. Watching some video, I noticed the library also has some nice elements.

Really? some nice elements? Please point them out because I didn't see any.

Speaking of cardboard cut-outs, most old school dark rides are nothing but. Disneylands Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and Alice dark rides are mostly cardboard flat blacklit props. Ironic no?

Yes, I agree most old school dark rides are cheap cardboard props, but this is year 2012!! There is NO excuse!!!!

alissafalco

I doubt if the real choice was between this BatB interactive attraction and a BatB ride. More likely it was a choice between this one or nothing. People on here cheered the closing 4 years ago of the Pocahantas (kids') show at AK, thinking it would be replaced by some wonderful ride. You know what's there now, 4 years later? Nothing.

Well shame on Disney for that!! Not for the people who cheered it's closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom