Storytime with Belle...That's it?!?

Lee

Adventurer
The fact of the matter is I would not have as much of a problem with this if it did not represent such a large financial investment and hyped up as something significant rather than just another meet & greet with gimmicky BS to try to get it more attention than it deserves.
This. An overblown, overhyped M&G, the target audience for which would have been satisfied with a nicely-themed conventional version.

Yep it can't come soon enough because you are the biggest troll on here
Ridiculous statement.

alissafalco

If it ends up that the wait times are far too long or that this setup is unpopular with guests, they could easily reconfigure it to a simple M&G in the library without the storytelling (I guess they'd have to change the name of the attraction as well then). But, since the M&G existed in this form for quite some time and Disney presumably has significant feedback on it being a popular format, I'm guessing it will be around for the long haul.

I could be wrong, but didn't they replace the Belle M&G with a Tangled/Rapunzel one? And that one involved Rapunzel dancing with her visitors? I bring that up because I suspect Disney has found that guests are actually very impressed with more interactivity with characters. The Cinderella and Aurora M&Gs in the original FLE were also interactive, so I think we'll see more progression in that direction, not less.

Personal story: when I was just out in DL with my two young sons a few weeks ago, we were the last ones in our group to meet Mickey at his house in Toontown. As a lucky result, we got some extra time with Mickey which involved him playing tag and hide and seek with my sons. I cannot tell you how amazing it was for them and I think they'll cherish that (and I know my wife and I will) for a very long time, more than the standard "pose and smile" that you get. The more interactivity with characters, the better, I think for a lot of people.

They could have Belle come out and just tell a quick 2 minute story herself. This way it wouldn't involve the cut outs, it wouldn't be as painful to watch, and they wouldn't need to change the name either. Also, the time spent on this terrible skit could be used towards more time actually spent with each guest when they meet her.

asianway

This. An overblown, overhyped M&G, the target audience for which would have been satisfied with a nicely-themed conventional version.

Ridiculous statement.
You kind of hit the nail on the head-most people want a pic and an autograph. In some cases, they don't even know the characters name...

And they had previously removed the interactivity from the Tangled greet(and Flynn) in pump more units through. I also heard they were removing the equity from Phineas & Ferb.

Now, Belle has multiple rooms so that should ease the wait times, but I think the minute guests start complaining about the waits, the show will get axed.

It's a cute idea, very well themed, but ultimately I think the capital could have been better spent, and I think it shows again that they dont really understand what the guest wants.

wannab@dis

I think this sums it up well.
I don't agree at all.

In fact, I think it completely misses the real issue a few here have with a very well themed and plussed attraction - they don't fit into the demographics for this attraction and they are upset. If they had cut the attraction, those same people would be screaming cutback and TDO is cheap. They spend the money on the attraction and they scream wasteful spending.

And I believe WDW certainly knows what the majority of their guests want...

asianway

Eh ... what evidence do you have that supports that statement?
They obviously wanted the interactive elements cut from the Tangled and P&F greets.

This just in: drew81 reporting that the bears will be leaving the Merida greet soon. See a trend? Guests want pics & autographs...

COProgressFan

I don't agree at all.

In fact, I think it completely misses the real issue a few here have with a very well themed and plussed attraction - they don't fit into the demographics for this attraction and they are upset. If they had cut the attraction, those same people would be screaming cutback and TDO is cheap. They spend the money on the attraction and they scream wasteful spending.

And I believe WDW certainly knows what the majority of their guests want...

Actually I probably do fit in the demographic here, with a small child who would probably be interested in meeting Belle. I don't even have so much of an issue with the money spent - that's Disney's problem not mine. The issue is primarily the unbearable pre-school play and faux "interactivity" of the attraction. It just seems poorly executed, and of very little interest to anyone over the age of 5, even as a parent with kids participating. I know there may be tweaks coming. I think it has some potential.

And I am really not convinced at all TDO knows what the majority of their guests want. Judging by attendance patterns at DL and Uni, it would appear that what guests want is elaborately detailed themed environments with unique and exciting new attractions, food, merchandise, etc.

But TDO has seemingly gone out of their way in the past 10+ years to avoid providing those types of things.

Mickey_777

This attraction has better theming, detail, technology, and storytelling than 98% of traditional dark rides at any Disney park on both coasts. The only thing missing are the screechy, loud, super low-tech and uncomfortable 1970's style ride vehicles. Oh and the ugly exposed track and black lighting. I wouldn't dare leave out those amazing show elements.

This caters to the same demographic and it's better. Yet I don't hear anyone calling for TDA or TDO to rip out those crappy ol' dark rides.

alissafalco

This attraction has better theming, detail, technology, and storytelling than 98% of traditional dark rides at any Disney park on both coasts. The only thing missing are the screechy, loud, super low-tech and uncomfortable 1970's style ride vehicles. Oh and the ugly exposed track and black lighting. I wouldn't dare leave out those amazing show elements.

This caters to the same demographic and it's better. Yet I don't hear anyone calling for TDA or TDO to rip out those crappy ol' dark rides.

You're joking right?

LithiumBill

36jaeg.jpg

CountryBearFan

Doom and Gloomers is just too broad for my tastes ... can we just call them "Realists" or "Coherent Thought Process People" (that might be too wordy) ... ohhh what about "Custodians of Logic" ...

Doom and Gloomers are Doom and Gloomers. D&G's are not realists or logical (especially the D&G's that continuously strut their stuff like they own the forum, remaining undetected by the Admins and not getting the bannings they deserve).

tomman710

Doom and Gloomers are Doom and Gloomers. D&G's are not realists or logical (especially the D&G's that continuously strut their stuff like they own the forum, remaining undetected by the Admins and not getting the bannings they deserve).

COOL. How can you remain undetected by admins but still viewed by the rest of us?

BrightImagine

I was trying to be all cynical like the cool kids here. But then when I got to the part of the video where Belle danced with the little boy, I got something in my eye.

LithiumBill

I was trying to be all cynical like the cool kids here. But then when I got to the part of the video where Belle danced with the little boy, I got something in my eye.

My wife and I said the same thing, if our son got picked for that, we'd need extra duty Kleenex.

I can understand the MEH attitude for those folks without children... But to me those Disney moments, those are the things my family remembers. More so than the love for the rides, my kids talk more about that moment they had with the characters. last visit in 2010 while our girls were in the boutique, my son had a one-on-one with Marry Poppins in the courtyard, before there was a line, he just happened to be standing where whe was going to set up. Well he still talks about that 3-4 minute encounter. He was no Marry Poppins fan, really - until she started talking about having tea with Buzz and Woody later in the day...

It's moments that kids remember, makes parents get all sappy, and is really what makes this particular attraction so family friendly.

IMO opinion of course... (I know, rarrh ankle biters, urrrgh whiny kids, ugh not for adults...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom