Storm Riders Replacing SSE??

The Genii

I've been on Stormrider and it's an odd combination of Star Tours and Soarin' Over California.
The cabin is very large, much larger than the Starspeeder in Star Tours. The screen is very large, like Soarin. Unlike Soarin, however, where the seams aren't too noticeable, the screen in Stormrider is a patchwork of seams that are highly visible and ruin any verisimilitude the ride might have.
The ride itself is basic simulator stuff with sophisticated in-theater effects, but it is rarely crowded (which tells you what the public thinks of it). You get sprayed pretty well at the end.
The entire "weather pavillion" idea would be a great addition to Epcot, and I think the ride would be a good addition.
But there's no way in hell it's going to fit inside the geosphere--t'aint possible!

Captain Chaos

Tigger1988 said:
I personally think Disney is better off without all these huge coasters. Here in Jersey we have Kingda-Ka, the biggest coaster in the world and I don't think its even been open 70% of the summer. Its always closed.

And will be closed for the next 7 weeks or so... with will take us into September...

Thrawn

Account Suspended
The Genii said:
I've been on Stormrider and it's an odd combination of Star Tours and Soarin' Over California.
The cabin is very large, much larger than the Starspeeder in Star Tours. The screen is very large, like Soarin. Unlike Soarin, however, where the seams aren't too noticeable, the screen in Stormrider is a patchwork of seams that are highly visible and ruin any verisimilitude the ride might have.
The ride itself is basic simulator stuff with sophisticated in-theater effects, but it is rarely crowded (which tells you what the public thinks of it). You get sprayed pretty well at the end.
The entire "weather pavillion" idea would be a great addition to Epcot, and I think the ride would be a good addition.
But there's no way in hell it's going to fit inside the geosphere--t'aint possible!

Great username!!

wdwishes2005

Thrawn said:
I haven't heard the story about the breakdown, what exactly happened? After seeing Kingda Ka in action in RCT3, I am thinking about making a trip down to ride it ... But its so tough to want to go to ride a single ride then make the 2hr trip back up =/

well, from what i gathered, a tarp came loose from the ride, and got caught in the launch system, which srewed that up, then something happend to the brake fins, and basically it just got all ________ up.

NeedABreak

As far as costers in EPCOT go I don't really see the need for them. The thing about WDW is that the parks are made to complament each other. If every park has everything thenthere is no reason for the average guest to go to all of the parks.

The way it is now a guest goes to epcot for a day of learning, eating, and exploring. MGM is really the thrill ride park. If you look at the big picture I don't think that EPCOT is in such dier need of more thrill rides. I would rather see more educational rides along the scale of Energy Adventure. Something really big, well theamed, and interesting.

kiawahman

Account Suspended
Well, Disney would never tear down the Geosphere...at least I hope they wouldn't! It's the first thing people envision when they think of EPCOT. SSE is a great ride. I never want to see it go.

peter11435

kiawahman said:
Well, Disney would never tear down the Geosphere...at least I hope they wouldn't! It's the first thing people envision when they think of EPCOT. SSE is a great ride. I never want to see it go.
Disney would NEVER remove the geosphere for the exact reasons you state. However that does not mean they will never remove and change the ride inside.

Sergeant Tibbs

personaly, I'm thinking Epcot needs some rides. If you think about they only have one ride:Test Track.(thats the only good ride:D ) we already have two awesome simulators in one park, we don't need another. So pretty much no more simulators, boat rides, or 3D attractions. Just give me some freakin rides:D . Or a Dark ride would be a nice addition...

peter11435

Sergeant Tibbs said:
personaly, I'm thinking Epcot needs some rides. If you think about they only have one ride:Test Track.(thats the only good ride:D ) we already have two awesome simulators in one park, we don't need another. So pretty much no more simulators, boat rides, or 3D attractions. Just give me some freakin rides:D . Or a Dark ride would be a nice addition...
Test Track is Epcot's only ride. Hmm I guess they must have removed the Univerese of Energy, Maelstrom, Imagination, Living with the Land, El Rio del Tiempo, and SpaceShip Earth.

peter11435

Sergeant Tibbs said:
Sorry if someone already already said this but there isnt too many of those.:D
Speak for yourself. While I think there are some "challenged" guests, I think many (no not the majority) enjoy entertainment over mindless thrills. Fortunately at the present time I can only think of one mindless thrill in WDW.

Sergeant Tibbs

CThaddeus said:
I'd like to speak on behalf of Spaceship Earth. In the immortal words of another who got the boot from EPCOT a few years ago, "Leave me alone!" I've said it before and I'll say it again: with the exception of "Circle of Life" and Ellen's Energy Adventure, every so-called improvement they've made to EPCOT has been horrid. I have yet to go on Mission: Space, but I cannot forgive them for gutting Horizons. Test Track is a sad, pathetic thrill ride that insults the great World of Motion attraction that used to be in that building. Journey into Imagination with Figment is a fun house gone horribly awry, while the original Journey Into Imagination inspired. "Captain EO was a far better (and memorable) movie than "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience." Don't even get me started on the seasonal and uncertain status of Wonders of Life. And while Food Rocks! was good, Kitchen Kabaret was better. My anger at them for destroying Food Rocks!, though, just to put in a queue for Soarin' is immense. Soarin' could have had its own Pavillion, as could any of those other attractions. There's plenty of room there. That's why Walt bought so much land to begin with! Just because something has a few years on it, that doesn't mean kill it. Bring back the EPCOT of 1995 (plus Ellen). Then add your lame thrill rides. At least I can still have what made EPCOT EPCOT (edu-tainment!). When I first visited there in the early '90s, I loved it more than the Magic Kingdom...now I'd rather watch old videos of the Park than actually go to it. And that truly saddens me.
That being said, the Mickey arm/wand has got to go.
I'm sorry but don't ever diss test track or M:S. They are amazing rides. And im not too sure why you are defending food rocks vs. Soarin'. No offence but I could of made food Rocks in my basement. It just wasnt that great. I think Soarin fits just fine in the Land and helped bring in some much needed improvements to the Land pivillion(spelled that wrong). Just my thoughts...

Sergeant Tibbs

peter11435 said:
Test Track is Epcot's only ride. Hmm I guess they must have removed the Univerese of Energy, Maelstrom, Imagination, Living with the Land, El Rio del Tiempo, and SpaceShip Earth.
Thats why i said good rides.:D And by rides i didnt mean boat rides or 3D attractions. Sorry I was just talking nonsense I guess:eek:.oh yeah i forgot SSE, wow thats bad.

Sergeant Tibbs

peter11435 said:
Speak for yourself. While I think there are some "challenged" guests, I think many (no not the majority) enjoy entertainment over mindless thrills. Fortunately at the present time I can only think of one mindless thrill in WDW.
Which ride is that?

Sergeant Tibbs

Papa Van said:
In a perfect world, we'd get an update of SSE, plus Stormriders in it's own pavilion. But since we don't live in a perfect world, I'd settle for just the SSE update. BTW, I said update, not complete reworking. A rollercoaster or simulator just could'nt replace SSE. Epcot would'nt be the same. That would be like turning Cinderella Castle into a birthday cake or something. :rolleyes: :hurl: :animwink:

Papa Van
But theres wallgreens:D

Sergeant Tibbs

DisneyRoxMySox said:
RnRc would be my guess...

I don't think the ride is that bad. It has a theme and a good one at that.
I agree, I love that ride, Also how come nobody's talked about Busch Gardens or Sea World in this arguement. They have rollercoasters. Are they losing attendance?(Thats a real question im not being sarcastic:D )

peter11435

Sergeant Tibbs said:
Which ride is that?
In my opinion the only mindless thrill in WDW is Primevil Whirl. RnRC is not even close to a mindless thrill. The ride as stated has a great theme that is well executed. Additionaly as I stated in the past RnRC is not simply a roller coaster but rather a wild limo ride though LA that happens to use a roller coaster to tell its story.

peter11435

Sergeant Tibbs said:
I agree, I love that ride, Also how come nobody's talked about Busch Gardens or Sea World in this arguement. They have rollercoasters. Are they losing attendance?(Thats a real question im not being sarcastic:D )
Sea Worlds 2004 attendance was up 4% compared to Epcots 9%. It is also important to point out that Epcot with no coasters had almost twice the attendance that Sea World had.

Busch Gardens actually had a 5% decline in attendance (that means attendance actually went down by a lot). That means that a park that is made up of many coasters declined significantly. Additionally Busch Gardens 2004 attendance was about 60% less than Epcot's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom