STK Orlando opening at Disney Springs in 2016

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here is a picture from Save Pleasure Island showing the current progress on the STK along with the concept art. The way this is being built looks rather interesting to me. It looks like they have already built the planters in front of and beside the building, but haven't actually built much of the building yet.

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/

DSCN9076.JPG

STK-Orlando_Full_24359.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here is a picture from Save Pleasure Island showing the current progress on the STK along with the concept art. The way this is being built looks rather interesting to me. It looks like they have already built the planters in front of and beside the building, but haven't actually built much of the building yet.

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/

DSCN9076.JPG

STK-Orlando_Full_24359.jpg
That is odd. I could see them laying the CMU structure for the planter as masons are one of the first trades you have on site, but it looks like they even have the cultured stone up already.

dstrawn9889

poured walls need support at the base... could be it was easier to place the planters first and then brace against them as they pick the walls into place.

halltd

Are those CMU or tilt-up walls? It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo. Interesting sequence of work, though.

dstrawn9889

yup, looks like cmu after all... so i wonder why the went ahead and completed the rough-in for the planters before the steel...

toolsnspools

Could this be one of those permit deals where they save money because it's technically a modification to the building instead of a new build?

Mouse Detective

actually the underground basement that's under the pathway is connected to this structure so they could have argued that it was a remodel if they really wanted to.
I don't think they have to "argue" anything. Disney Springs is in the incorporated City of Lake Buena Vista, Florida whose government is the Reedy Creek Improvement District which is controlled by Disney. While they do pay nominal fees for construction permits/notices of commencement to Orange County, I don't think the county has much say on what they do within city limits. The city controls that. And again, the City is the District and the District is Disney.

dstrawn9889

with the exception of elevator inspections, IIRC yes, RCID handles everything else. i have heard that their code standards are as tough or even more so that Dade county... so back to topic, if they want to say it is a remodel, then it is a remodel

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't think they have to "argue" anything. Disney Springs is in the incorporated City of Lake Buena Vista, Florida whose government is the Reedy Creek Improvement District which is controlled by Disney. While they do pay nominal fees for construction permits/notices of commencement to Orange County, I don't think the county has much say on what they do within city limits. The city controls that. And again, the City is the District and the District is Disney.

with the exception of elevator inspections, IIRC yes, RCID handles everything else. i have heard that their code standards are as tough or even more so that Dade county... so back to topic, if they want to say it is a remodel, then it is a remodel
Florida has been under a unified building code since 2000. Disney, at minimum, has to meet the Florida Building code. There is no way they can get around that. It has never really been an issue though as Disney always seems to a tick or two above what has been required.

I do have to say that from what I have seen, Disney is probably the most "by the book" company on the planet when it comes to construction. Way back when when I was doing the permit thread I would see them filing NOCs for adding a single electrical outlet. This is the type of stuff anyone else would just have a handyman do and never file the first bit of paperwork.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Florida has been under a unified building code since 2000. Disney, at minimum, has to meet the Florida Building code. There is no way they can get around that. It has never really been an issue though as Disney always seems to a tick or two above what has been required.

I do have to say that from what I have seen, Disney is probably the most "by the book" company on the planet when it comes to construction. Way back when when I was doing the permit thread I would see them filing NOCs for adding a single electrical outlet. This is the type of stuff anyone else would just have a handyman do and never file the first bit of paperwork.

This still leaves the question, where would the saving be in calling something a remodel vs new construction. I would think the codes would be the same so we are just talking about a difference in administrative fees. Would RCID even charge Disney fees?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This still leaves the question, where would the saving be in calling something a remodel vs new construction. I would think the codes would be the same so we are just talking about a difference in administrative fees. Would RCID even charge Disney fees?
As I understand it, the biggest savings usually comes in the way of not having to pay impact fees which both Osceola and Orange county have in one form or another. I also can't imagine that Disney would be able to sidestep any of the fees that the counties charge those that are not Disney.

articos

Yes, the District charges Disney fees. (Here you go: http://rcid.org/DoingBusiness/PermitsFees.aspx) There are 'walls' between the two. Even though the District is supported by Disney, it operates independently and acts like any other municipality would. I believe the planters were done prior to the building simply because the vendor was already doing the same stone planters in the completed areas going down the strip towards the Boathouse. They just did the planters as part of the plaza after they did the faux turntable and pavers. The top planter isn't part of the building, it's on the plaza, but will be incorporated into the patio of the restaurant. The bottom one is adjacent to the wall of the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom