Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

mikejs78

Premium Member
They tried to mitigate the mishy-mashiness of it by creating thematic lands for the IPs to live in. Fantasyland may look like a singular theme, but what does PhilharMagic have to do with IaSW or Little Mermaid or Tea Cups? But is having tangentially related attractions a problem? It hasn't been for over 60 years.

And I don't think it needs to be. Sure, it will be great to have some immersive themed experiences like SWGE, but not everything can be that. Loosely related is fine, but having a theme for the land itself adds to the ambiance. That said, Pixar Pier is about at the limit of where I think you can stretch that. I'm not sure 'created by one studio - but it's a Pier' will work. We will see, but it may end up too disjointed.

yensidtlaw1969

This is the perennial debate over whether a 'themed land' is properly themed simply by grouping IPs from a single studio. That may have been the plan at one time with Pixar Place in DHS. But, that never came about since it had only one attraction, TSMM. And now that the area is being expanded into a land, they're still keeping it to one IP, Toy Story.

The Disney parks as a whole had that same issue. The parks were mostly their own Disney IPs thrown together in one park. They tried to mitigate the mishy-mashiness of it by creating thematic lands for the IPs to live in. Fantasyland may look like a singular theme, but what does PhilharMagic have to do with IaSW or Little Mermaid or Tea Cups?

But is having tangentially related attractions a problem? It hasn't been for over 60 years.

Until Potter.

The Wizarding Worlds created a new paradigm: The land and all its attractions completely mesh around one very popular IP. It proved to be wildly popular. And so, we then got Radiator Springs, Pandora, SWLs, and TSL. From now on, this is the New Way.

Until Pixar Pier.

You want a Pixar Place that's just full of Pixar IPs regardless that the land itself has no (or very very little) theme whatsoever except... Pixarness? Or "we're on a pier!" Well, CA is getting it.

We'll see if that works.

IMO, it would work just as well as if you had a "LucasFilm Pier" filled with Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions intermingled with each other.
The main issue I take with Pixar Pier (and potentially with the now non-Pixar Place) is that Pixar isn’t a theme in the sense that you can’t use it to answer the question of what themes tie all those properties together. And part of what’s nice about Pixar is that many of their films don’t really share thematic links, they cover a lot of different ground despite being the product of one studio.

What ties Mermaid, Small World, Philharmagic and the Tea Cups together is Fantasy. Which is why they all work in Fantasyland. That they all happen to be works of Disney is not a thematic unifier, because Disney is not a theme in any of them.

Single IP lands are a nice new flavor to add into the mix of potential ways of creating a themed land, and certainly Potter, Cars Land, and Pandora are exceedingly well-executed examples of such a style. The crux becomes, for such lands, that they be especially well selected for their respective parks based on their themes in order for the park to really be operating as a THEME Park. Hogsmeade and Pandora do this well, as Hogsmeade is an (is)land of adventure and Pandora is full of animals (if imagined) from a film that focused on many of the same themes as Animal Kingdom. Cars Land seems less to be connected to the themes of California Adventure, which are habitually poorly defined. Car Culture is big in California, sure, but the land seeks to transport you to a fictionalized version of Arizona for you to take part in it. When your theme is essentially the Golden State and an entire Land is based on a locale from not that state . . .

Pixar Pier seems to follow the same thematic trend as Cars Land, where more and more the park is less focused on preserving the notion of the theme it chose to define itself by in favor of acting as a catch-all for properties that didn’t or wouldn’t square neatly enough into Disneyland. The rides and treatment to the land may come as a pleasant surprise in their execution, but they don’t neatly sing of the park’s theme. Unless that theme is planning to change and we haven’t been made privy to it yet. Which, at this point, I think would probably be best, it’s so scarecly a California adventure anymore that it’s kind of silly they keep calling it that.

GiveMeTheMusic

ahhhhh your pic is of one my favorite and a very under rated Disney movie... too bad we will prob never see them have a ride. IVe had this little guy since I saw the movie at the theaters...
10-vintage-copper-fox-hound-stuffed_1_ec347fb588b45d69d51706685b92bd41.jpg

The Disney Store had new Copper and Tod plush last month!

EricsBiscuit

The main issue I take with Pixar Pier (and potentially with the now non-Pixar Place) is that Pixar isn’t a theme in the sense that you can’t use it to answer the question of what themes tie all those properties together. And part of what’s nice about Pixar is that many of their films don’t really share thematic links, they cover a lot of different ground despite being the product of one studio.

What ties Mermaid, Small World, Philharmagic and the Tea Cups together is Fantasy. Which is why they all work in Fantasyland. That they all happen to be works of Disney is not a thematic unifier, because Disney is not a theme in any of them.

Single IP lands are a nice new flavor to add into the mix of potential ways of creating a themed land, and certainly Potter, Cars Land, and Pandora are exceedingly well-executed examples of such a style. The crux becomes, for such lands, that they be especially well selected for their respective parks based on their themes in order for the park to really be operating as a THEME Park. Hogsmeade and Pandora do this well, as Hogsmeade is an (is)land of adventure and Pandora is full of animals (if imagined) from a film that focused on many of the same themes as Animal Kingdom. Cars Land seems less to be connected to the themes of California Adventure, which are habitually poorly defined. Car Culture is big in California, sure, but the land seeks to transport you to a fictionalized version of Arizona for you to take part in it. When your theme is essentially the Golden State and an entire Land is based on a locale from not that state . . .

Pixar Pier seems to follow the same thematic trend as Cars Land, where more and more the park is less focused on preserving the notion of the theme it chose to define itself by in favor of acting as a catch-all for properties that didn’t or wouldn’t square neatly enough into Disneyland. The rides and treatment to the land may come as a pleasant surprise in their execution, but they don’t neatly sing of the park’s theme. Unless that theme is planning to change and we haven’t been made privy to it yet. Which, at this point, I think would probably be best, it’s so scarecly a California adventure anymore that it’s kind of silly they keep calling it that.
could be Disney's way of saying all the Pixar stuff is in the same universe

MichRX7

Premium Member
2) Wall-e is basically post-apocalyptic and doesn't paint the kind of optimistic future Tomorrowland (the land, not the flop) has in mind.

Hmm... I guess I'll have to watch Wall-e again, I truly thought it ended with a pretty optimistic future.

I think thematically it could fit well in TL. Expand the Stitch/AE/MtM/FttM building, create a dark ride where we get to ride in those cool seats that give us free beverages, and warn us about the entrapment of gluttony with an eye on ending with a bright future. I'll drink mine and burp to that...

If not a good exhibit in Innoventions might work with this theme as well.

WDWTank

This is the perennial debate over whether a 'themed land' is properly themed simply by grouping IPs from a single studio. That may have been the plan at one time with Pixar Place in DHS. But, that never came about since it had only one attraction, TSMM. And now that the area is being expanded into a land, they're still keeping it to one IP, Toy Story.

The Disney parks as a whole had that same issue. The parks were mostly their own Disney IPs thrown together in one park. They tried to mitigate the mishy-mashiness of it by creating thematic lands for the IPs to live in. Fantasyland may look like a singular theme, but what does PhilharMagic have to do with IaSW or Little Mermaid or Tea Cups?

But is having tangentially related attractions a problem? It hasn't been for over 60 years.

Until Potter.

The Wizarding Worlds created a new paradigm: The land and all its attractions completely mesh around one very popular IP. It proved to be wildly popular. And so, we then got Radiator Springs, Pandora, SWLs, and TSL. From now on, this is the New Way.

Until Pixar Pier.

You want a Pixar Place that's just full of Pixar IPs regardless that the land itself has no (or very very little) theme whatsoever except... Pixarness? Or "we're on a pier!" Well, CA is getting it.

We'll see if that works.

IMO, it would work just as well as if you had a "LucasFilm Pier" filled with Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions intermingled with each other.
Jar-Jar carnival game ;)

Cesar R M

We'll see if that works.
I agree, they are now throwing "themes" just for the sakes of having themes to everything. Specifically to ips that prove popular.

I just really hope Pixar Pier doesn't become yet another "Toy Story Land".

JEANYLASER

What about Big Hero 6 in Tomorrowland. Any announcement about the replacement of Stitch's great Escape? I hope it will be Big Hero 6 to replace of Stitch's Great Escape?:cool:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
surprised no "final day" videos of this ride are on youtube. Guess it's just that hated.

Because we don't know for sure it was its last day. Only one blogger site said it was. None of our insiders have concurred and Disney has not announced anything except Stitch is in seasonal mode.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom