Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I still don't see how they ever fit into the idea of "Tomorrow", even in the 70s... And it was a damn shame they ever got rid of Timekeeper, although it doesn't rise to the level of travesty that was the shuttering of Horizons in Epcot.
In the 70s, the Grand Prix was seen as a state of the art sport. The MK grandstand, track and cars were based on a futuristic Grand Prix of near tomorrow as opposed to the Disneyland Autopia direction. Add in a bit of future looking landscaping and light poles and lots of concrete and you’re in the 70s future.

In the same era, jet travel for the masses and travelling around the globe was still seen as the future as were the only recently introduced jet planes. Add in a futuristic load hall and a few speed tunnels for a finale and there was a futuristic feeling that perfectly blended with the wider land.

DisneyNittany

That would be awesome if not for that pesky Universal contract....

Right, but even for the few that Disney has the legal right to for park use, they could be used in DHS. If it were me, I would have replaced RnRC with the new GotG coaster. Then, if able to in the future (between legalities and space for infrastructure), you could have turned that whole back area into a "Marvel Land".

I'm as big a fan of Toy Story as there is, but why limit yourself to one IP? Extend "Pixar Place" from where it is now into the area being developed as "Toy Story Land", and you could have an incredibly fun land, while also opening up the opportunity of moving ill fitted IP based attractions from other parks (MILF and Buzz in Tomorrowland, Nemo and Crush in Seas, etc.).

Lastly, while I'm sure SGE will be incredible, again why limit yourself? Yes, continue to build SGE, but also why not expand upon the Indiana Jones IP, in the area around IJESS!? There's a great ride in Disneyland's Adventureland that I feel would fit in perfectly there, no?

Anyways, sorry to highjack this thread. Just seems like common sense.

Fox&Hound

I am curious- do any of our insiders know how the company ever justified monsters laugh floor in tomorrowland? I love the show but I have never understood how it was in a way thematicaly appropriate?!?! Curious if the company ever tried to make a logical ir even illogical connection i.e starlord in epcot narrative.

sunsetblvd26

I am curious- do any of our insiders know how the company ever justified monsters laugh floor in tomorrowland? I love the show but I have never understood how it was in a way thematicaly appropriate?!?! Curious if the company ever tried to make a logical ir even illogical connection i.e starlord in epcot narrative.
Logic line:
Monsters -> Aliens -> Space Travel -> Future

MichRX7

Premium Member
In the 70s, the Grand Prix was seen as a state of the art sport. The MK grandstand, track and cars were based on a futuristic Grand Prix of near tomorrow as opposed to the Disneyland Autopia direction. Add in a bit of future looking landscaping and light poles and lots of concrete and you’re in the 70s future.

In the same era, jet travel for the masses and travelling around the globe was still seen as the future as were the only recently introduced jet planes. Add in a futuristic load hall and a few speed tunnels for a finale and there was a futuristic feeling that perfectly blended with the wider land.

Plus, in the 70's it was very future thinking for me to be driving as it'd be another 11 years away at that time...

ppete1975

ahhhhh your pic is of one my favorite and a very under rated Disney movie... too bad we will prob never see them have a ride. IVe had this little guy since I saw the movie at the theaters...
10-vintage-copper-fox-hound-stuffed_1_ec347fb588b45d69d51706685b92bd41.jpg

TwilightZone

Simple fix to the tomorrowland problem is to replace the attractions with ips that do sorta kinda fit or all aliens all the time, but we know disney won't do that.
some ips that could fit
. wall-e
. treasure planet
. meet the robinsons
ips that are bit wishy washy but may work
. big hero 6
. alien
. alantis

DisneyNittany

Simple fix to the tomorrowland problem is to replace the attractions with ips that do sorta kinda fit or all aliens all the time, but we know disney won't do that.
some ips that could fit
. wall-e
. treasure planet
. meet the robinsons
. big hero 6
. alien
. alantis

If any IP had to be at Epcot, I think that a Big Hero 6/Innoventions mash would be the best fit. I'd personally like to see them rid of IPs in Tomorrowland, and create some original concepts.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm as big a fan of Toy Story as there is, but why limit yourself to one IP? Extend "Pixar Place" from where it is now into the area being developed as "Toy Story Land", and you could have an incredibly fun land, while also opening up the opportunity of moving ill fitted IP based attractions from other parks (MILF and Buzz in Tomorrowland, Nemo and Crush in Seas, etc.).

The problem with that approach is you get a poorly themed land - a hodgepodge of IPs if you will. What I like about TSL is that it is themed to be Andy's backyard, and everything in the land is centered around that theme. I'd love to see a couple of Pixar-themed lands for some of the more prominent characters (maybe a Monstropolis or a land where Supers are roaming around), but stuffing them all into one land (a la DCA's Pixar Pier) seems messy...

mikejs78

Premium Member
If any IP had to be at Epcot, I think that a Big Hero 6/Innoventions mash would be the best fit. I'd personally like to see them rid of IPs in Tomorrowland, and create some original concepts.

IPs are here to stay, for better or worse, and that's the direction Disney is going in. I'm OK with that (although I think it's unnecessary), as long as the IP is used for something specific to the land. For example, I'd be very happy if they changed The Seas with Nemo and converted it into the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory, and made the main ride a bit more educational but used the Nemo characters. Or if they added a new attraction about the human mind using the characters from Inside Out. Or, an attraction focused on computers using Wall-E. Frankly, I'd even be fine with Guardians in Epcot if they made the attraction about energy instead of about Peter Quill visiting Epcot as a kid. It's not about IP or not IP for me, but about how they use whatever story-telling tools they have (and IPs are one such tool) to fit the purpose of the land.

PizzaPlanet

It's something along the lines of Mike Wazowski needs our help so we go through a Monsters Inc door and are transported from Tomorrowland to their world.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The problem with Tomorrowland stems from Disneyland, then the Magic Kingdom, being a one-park park at one time. Back then, any idea for a ride, or leveraging an IP, had to fit somewhere in one of the Lands. So, anything that was just straight up 'the future' or vaguely 'technological' and not actually the nominal theme of TL -- a 50's retro future -- got put in Tomorrowland. Then when Future World got built in Epcot, those straight up future or technology rides started to look out of place because it should go there and not stay in TL.

And if it wasn't for building a separate Star Wars Land, everything Star Wars would have wound up in TL (which it did for DL, while WDW had DHS as a dumping ground for SW).

Let's face it: a Land devoted to the retro 50's idea of the future is a pretty limited theme. And as mentioned above, the Parks division always had trouble filling it with attractions that fit that narrow theme.

My solution would be to open up the theme to all types of Sci-Fi and futurism while keeping the aesthetical look of the land 50's retro future. Which is pretty much what happened. But, from now on, to actually acknowledge that "Tomorrowland" represents all forms of 'tomorrow': retro future, hard science and technology, and science fiction.

This would mean the interdimensional travel of MonLF would fit. And CoP would fit. And TRON would fit. Any superhero IP that uses super-tech (Ant-Man or Iron Man in the non-Orlando TLs) would fit. Anything space-y (including Star Wars) would fit. Anything Steampunk or Cyberpunk would fit. Wreck-It Ralph and Wall-E would fit.

Then, change the name to: Tomorrowland Worlds for that multi-verse vibe.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think that all Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm, etc. properties belong in DHS, and would make for an incredible park, but what the hell do I know?

The problem with that approach is you get a poorly themed land - a hodgepodge of IPs if you will. What I like about TSL is that it is themed to be Andy's backyard, and everything in the land is centered around that theme. I'd love to see a couple of Pixar-themed lands for some of the more prominent characters (maybe a Monstropolis or a land where Supers are roaming around), but stuffing them all into one land (a la DCA's Pixar Pier) seems messy...

This is the perennial debate over whether a 'themed land' is properly themed simply by grouping IPs from a single studio. That may have been the plan at one time with Pixar Place in DHS. But, that never came about since it had only one attraction, TSMM. And now that the area is being expanded into a land, they're still keeping it to one IP, Toy Story.

The Disney parks as a whole had that same issue. The parks were mostly their own Disney IPs thrown together in one park. They tried to mitigate the mishy-mashiness of it by creating thematic lands for the IPs to live in. Fantasyland may look like a singular theme, but what does PhilharMagic have to do with IaSW or Little Mermaid or Tea Cups?

But is having tangentially related attractions a problem? It hasn't been for over 60 years.

Until Potter.

The Wizarding Worlds created a new paradigm: The land and all its attractions completely mesh around one very popular IP. It proved to be wildly popular. And so, we then got Radiator Springs, Pandora, SWLs, and TSL. From now on, this is the New Way.

Until Pixar Pier.

You want a Pixar Place that's just full of Pixar IPs regardless that the land itself has no (or very very little) theme whatsoever except... Pixarness? Or "we're on a pier!" Well, CA is getting it.

We'll see if that works.

IMO, it would work just as well as if you had a "LucasFilm Pier" filled with Star Wars and Indiana Jones attractions intermingled with each other.

Fox&Hound

some ips that could fit
. wall-e
. treasure planet
. meet the robinsons
. big hero 6
. alien
. alantis

Sadly there are a lot of box office bombs on that list: treasure planet, meet the robinsons, and atlantis all counting. I have to believe that if some of those had been huge hits we would be looking at a very different tomorrowland. Just lile if Good Dinosaur was not a box office failure and failure with critics AK’s dinand would look very different. I am sure that the studios make movies with some thought in the back of their minds “could this go into a disney park and help an area that needs a boost” or the very least “is this compatible somewhere in the parks”...

Why WallE never made it to tomorrowland is beyond me. I thought it was a hit....

Bairstow

Sadly there are a lot of box office bombs on that list: treasure planet, meet the robinsons, and atlantis all counting. I have to believe that if some of those had been huge hits we would be looking at a very different tomorrowland. Just lile if Good Dinosaur was not a box office failure and failure with critics AK’s dinand would look very different. I am sure that the studios make movies with some thought in the back of their minds “could this go into a disney park and help an area that needs a boost” or the very least “is this compatible somewhere in the parks”...

Why WallE never made it to tomorrowland is beyond me. I thought it was a hit....

It was but,
1) it came out right as the recession hit, so Disney wasn't building anything they didn't have to and,
2) Wall-e is basically post-apocalyptic and doesn't paint the kind of optimistic future Tomorrowland (the land, not the flop) has in mind.

Besides that, maybe Disney doesn't want to build a ride in WDW based on source material that spends a good bit of time sneering at overweight people in ECVs drinking soda out of collector's cups.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom