Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

GlacierGlacier

Gut half of the cafeteria and the whole gift shop. Throw in a sci-fi EMV ride. Totally unrealistic and excessive, but I'd love it. Issue: EMV buildings (currently existing are 2-3 stories tall. Solution: sink it down to utilidors. Again, crazy and unrealistic. But it'd be a high-capacity E-ticket in tomorrowland.

Cesar R M

That’s an easy one. What is at the center of Tomorrowland?

R O W.

Row is another word for paddle.

Paddle is what you have to do to catch a wave while surfing.

Surfing is what a Hawaiian rollercoaster ride is.

Thus it is a perfect fit!
Hawaiian futuristic Stitch ride for tomorrowland CONFIRMED!

Cesar R M

I get:

Peter Pan: 18.4k sqft / .42 acres
SGE: 13.5k sqft / .31 acres

You may be including the ice cream parlor and the gift shop in your estimate (or I may be doing something wrong).

If you give up the shop and ice cream parlor you can get an extra 9k sqft / .2 acres, which is closer to your total when added in.

If I were in charge, as I mentioned above, I'd clear out the cafeteria, too and put in a really good E-Ticket.
How tall is Peter Pan compared to Stitch's building?

Cmdr_Crimson

I might be wrong, but a quick google map measurement shows me that SGE is about 24,000 square feet while Pan is about 15,500 square feet. Is there a possibility of a slow moving dark ride? It could be a tour through Jumba Jookiba's lab where you get to see all his experiments (from the TV show), ending with his latest creation(and a reused awesome AA) experiment 626. This could be a high capacity omnivore or a bus bar attraction.

Well, it was silly of them to remove these murals on the wall in the Merchant of Venus..
merchant_of_venus_mural2.jpg
merchant_of_venus_mural1.jpg

Plutomickey24

Maybe they could come up with a ride that includes both Monsters and Stitch. Maybe something like a roller coaster type thing where you some how end up on Stitch's planet and then he tries to bring you back but you some how end up meeting the Monsters. I don't know. I've never been to Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, but I have been on Stitch. I like Stitch but I didn't like the ride.

Purduevian

I get:

Peter Pan: 18.4k sqft / .42 acres
SGE: 13.5k sqft / .31 acres

You may be including the ice cream parlor and the gift shop in your estimate (or I may be doing something wrong).

I probably did include the ice cream and gift shop. There really isn't a ton of room in that space. Any idea how much space Star Tours takes up in Disneyland (12.5k sqft by my estimate but i really don't know where it starts and ends)? I know it has less simulators than DHS, but I'm just trying to think of what could go in this space.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It's always been a personal favorite of mine as well. Very high re-watch value in my opinion. Doesn't fit great in Tomorrowland, but a well done attraction.

How does one determine what is and what isn't a good fit for Tomorrowland? Looking at some of the early attractions, like America the Beautiful, If You Had Wings, and the still operational Grand Prix Raceway (aka Tomorrowland Speedway), how are any of these to theme? And that being the case, should the speedway be closed too? What should Tomorrowland look like, what kinds of attractions make the most sense then?

DisneyOutsider

How does one determine what is and what isn't a good fit for Tomorrowland? Looking at some of the early attractions, like America the Beautiful, If You Had Wings, and the still operational Grand Prix Raceway (aka Tomorrowland Speedway), how are any of these to theme? And that being the case, should the speedway be closed too? What should Tomorrowland look like, what kinds of attractions make the most sense then?

I'm no theme-police crusader who thinks these attractions should be shuttered, but it doesn't take much critical thinking to understand why the Laugh Floor is not a thematic fit for Tomorrowland. Just because other attractions are also poor thematic fits does not make this any less of one.

Here's an example.. the Speedway could be made into a thematic fit by converting all vehicles to electric-powered, signaling what we hope to be the future of car travel around the world.

Astro Orbiter and Space mountain have always worked as they play on the spirit of space travel and exploration/tourism, which in some ways is a retro-futurist theme, but on-theme nevertheless.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wings and Speedway were a product of their time, and a perfect fit in the 70s. Unlike MILF.

And yes, I’m still sore over the Timekeeper fiasco.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm no theme-police crusader who thinks these attractions should be shuttered, but it doesn't take much critical thinking to understand why the Laugh Floor is not a thematic fit for Tomorrowland. Just because other attractions are also poor thematic fits does not make this any less of one.

Here's an example.. the Speedway could be made into a thematic fit by converting all vehicles to electric-powered, signaling what we hope to be the future of car travel around the world.

Astro Orbiter and Space mountain have always worked as they play on the spirit of space travel and exploration/tourism, which in some ways is a retro-futurist theme, but on-theme nevertheless.

Sure, it just seems to me that Tomorrowland has suffered from this problem from the beginning. Let's look at the list of historical attractions:

• Astro Orbiter: In-theme
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: Sorta in-theme
  • Monster's Inc Laugh Floor - Not in theme
  • Space Mountain: In theme
  • Stitch: Not in theme
  • Grand Prix/Speedway: Not in theme
  • PeopleMover/TTA: In theme
  • Carousel of Progress: Iffy, as it is mostly about the past, but we'll give it an "in theme" because it's about progress
  • Flight to the Moon: In theme
  • America the Beautiful: Not in-theme
  • Magic Carpet Round the World: Not in-theme
  • American Journey's: Not in-theme
  • The Timekeeper: I'd argue in-theme
  • If You Had Wings: Not in-theme
  • Mission to Mars: In-theme
  • Delta Dreamflight: Not in-theme
  • Alien Encounter: In-theme
So out of all those, we get 9 attractions that are in-theme, and 8 not in-theme. And of those 8 not "in-theme", 6 were earlier attractions. In fact it looks like the most in-theme Tomorrowland has been was after the 1994 refurb, when we had Timekeeper, Alien Encounter, and then in 1998 when Buzz replaced Dreamflight... Before that, and since, it's been less-so.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wings and Speedway were a product of their time, and a perfect fit in the 70s. Unlike MILF.

And yes, I’m still sore over the Timekeeper fiasco.

I still don't see how they ever fit into the idea of "Tomorrow", even in the 70s... And it was a damn shame they ever got rid of Timekeeper, although it doesn't rise to the level of travesty that was the shuttering of Horizons in Epcot.

Bairstow

It's always been a personal favorite of mine as well. Very high re-watch value in my opinion. Doesn't fit great in Tomorrowland, but a well done attraction.

It's in increasing need of a software update, though. The low-res character models could stand an upgrade, and the performers ought to have several more story segments to choose from to bookend the show. Turtle Talk, by contrast, gives its performers several more options and allows more leeway for show flexibility and consequently is more entertaining and engaging. Also, it would be cool to see them implement some real-time integration of the audience camera feed and the CGI characters, or even have a walk-around character incorporated into the show, like Sweetums at Muppetvision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom