Stitch Fatigue: A look into the rise and accomplishment of a modern icon

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Not that he's the third most popular, period, just the third most popular DISNEY character and for that to happen in just two years is remarkable.

In Walt Disney World? Yes, I can agree with that.
Overall? Not a chance.

He is becoming a modern icon.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 reports will not prove anything. Stitch will STILL not be on that list. Why? Simple. He hasn't made an expansion into the public eye. Yeah, the DVD is out, but what more? The only place I have found Lilo & Stitch merchandise is at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. You cannot go to the mall or Target and find the stuff lining up on the walls. Until that happens, I won't expect him on that list anytime soon.

Legacy

NemoRocks said:
In Walt Disney World? Yes, I can agree with that.
Overall? Not a chance.

2004 reports will not prove anything. Stitch will STILL not be on that list. Why? Simple. He hasn't made an expansion into the public eye. Yeah, the DVD is out, but what more? The only place I have found Lilo & Stitch merchandise is at Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort. You cannot go to the mall or Target and find the stuff lining up on the walls. Until that happens, I won't expect him on that list anytime soon.
I predict 2004's list will look like this...

1. Mickey (DUH)
2. Pooh (DUH)
3. Incredibles
4. Nemo
5. Kim Possible

And Stitch will be around 8 or 9.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Legacy said:
I predict 2004's list will look like this...

1. Mickey (DUH)
2. Pooh (DUH)
3. Incredibles
4. Nemo
5. Kim Possible

And Stitch will be around 8 or 9.
Ah yes, forgot about The Incredibles....

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Take pixar off that dang list!

They're not Disney characters! You guys keep throwing at me that the pixar characters are more popular than stitch....I'm sure they are!

But I'm ONLY talking about DISNEY, characters, CREATED by Disney. I'm only saying Stitch is the 3rd most popular CHARACTER CREATED by DISNEY.

Jesus H. Christ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Stitchfan712 said:
Take pixar off that dang list!

They're not Disney characters! You guys keep throwing at me that the pixar characters are more popular than stitch....I'm sure they are!

But I'm ONLY talking about DISNEY, characters, CREATED by Disney. I'm only saying Stitch is the 3rd most popular CHARACTER CREATED by DISNEY.

Now see? As it has been said before, you are trying to edit everything to your liking. Whether you want to believe it or not, Disney has the character rights to all Pixar characters, therefore meaning they are the property of Disney and they are official Disney characters.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Nemo, I'm not arguing the FACT that Pixar's characters earn Disney money. That's true! disney owns the rights to those characters, that's true!

Let me spell it out, one last time...and hope that you get it, or I'm going to rip all of my hair out:

In TERMS, of Characters created wholly by disney, or, in pooh's case, characters that really made their mark through disney's use of them over the decades, STITCH comes in at #3.

IF, we include pixar, and more recent disney character additions (power rangers), then Stitch does NOT come in at #3.

Stitch is the #3 DISNEY character. Not disney-pixar, not disney-anybody else, not -disney owned but created by somebody else, just, DISNEY.

Stitch is #3.

That's it. I can't put it any better than that. I'm so close to losing it it's unbelievable. PLEASE see what I'm saying!

Wilt Dasney

Stitchfan712 said:
Stitch is the #3 DISNEY character. Not disney-pixar, not disney-anybody else, not -disney owned but created by somebody else, just, DISNEY.

OK...but so what? It may be technically accurate when you define it that far, but it's too arbitrary to mean anything. Most people think of the Pixar characters as Disney characters. They're out in the parks, they're on Disney merchandise. There's no meaningful distinction to most people. I just don't see where anything is gained by setting such specific criteria for your list other than making your own argument sound a little better. Commence pulling out hair.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
But you don't understand. All I was saying, from the beginning, was that Stitch was one of the most popular disney characters.

From the BEGINNING I should have said "excluding partial-disney characters like Pixar's"

That's all I meant. It wasn't meant to be a debate or argument! But here we are, nine god-damn pages later and now it's getting personal.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Stitchfan712 said:

Stitch is #3.

That's it. I can't put it any better than that. I'm so close to losing it it's unbelievable. PLEASE see what I'm saying!

That's VERY arguable. Goofy, Donald Duck, and any of the Princesses are just as popular (if not more popular) as Stitch is.

I'm tired of seeing your posts which pretty much say "I'm right because I like Stitch." You cannot come to terms with the facts that I and others have posted. I'm done with this thread.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Your problem is that you keep trying to find an argument in what I'm saying to nitpick about. This wasn't even the damn point of the thread! This thread was not meant to become a mudslinging match over who's more popular, but you took it upon yourselves to make an argument about it, completely missing the point of the original post!

Does anyone even remember what this thread was about?

Good lord. I'm rightly ed about this. A good thread went down in flames because of a f**ing technicality.

You accuse me of being childish, I think I'm not the only one in this thread.

I'm sick of this too.

Legacy

Stitchfan712 said:
Your problem is that you keep trying to find an argument in what I'm saying to nitpick about. This wasn't even the damn point of the thread! This thread was not meant to become a mudslinging match over who's more popular, but you took it upon yourselves to make an argument about it, completely missing the point of the original post!

Good lord. I'm rightly ed about this. A good thread went down in flames because of a f**ing technicality.

You accuse me of being childish, I think I'm not the only one in this thread.

I'm sick of this too.
It's because of your technicalities that are bringing this thread down. You start a thread extolling the greatness of Stitch; you make the blasphemous statement that Stitch belongs in the Fab 5; and then you start throwing a hissy-fit when others disagree with you. You have been arguing schemantics, twisting OUR statements, and speculating in ALL of your Stitch threads, and then get frustrated when NO ONE agrees with you. If you are going to start a thread, at least be enough of a grown up to respect the dissenting opinions instead of making it seem like we are mean, horrible people.

You already quit these threads once before, and then go out and in immature attempt to safe face start a thread calling for the return of Alien Encounter. Then, when no body agreed with you on THAT, you come back to these threads to try and force your theories onto us again.

It's not hard. We have been backing up our side with facts, documented ones, and then you challenge those by saying they don't count. They DO count, whether you choose to admit it or not. The fact is, is that Stitch wasn't even a "Disney creation", but instead was created much like The Nightmare Before Christmas. The character and story was developed by a small group of people outside of the typical Disney system. So, by your criteria, even STITCH doesn't count.

Your fanaticism is becoming mind-numbingly frustrating. If you are going to make claims like you are, don't let your blind faith be your only support. The rest of us are too stubborn for that. You are not swaying ANYBODY in your arguments, and you are beginning to make yourself look like a fool.

Wilt Dasney

Stitchfan712 said:
This wasn't even the damn point of the thread! This thread was not meant to become a mudslinging match over who's more popular, but you took it upon yourselves to make an argument about it, completely missing the point of the original post!

Yes...Stitch's popularity.

As for "you took it upon yourselves to make an argument about it"...You started a thread making statements that were debatable, and (surprise) some people chose to debate them. Imagine that. That's why it's called a discussion forum, not an "everybody agree with me" forum.

If you call sensible, calm arguments with your points childish, then start handing out the pacifiers, I guess.

You have not once looked at the overwhelming volume of well-written posts disagreeing with you and said "hmm...maybe some of you have a point." Your consistent response has been to either say everybody but you is missing the point or to get more shrill and whiny (not an attack, just a behavioral observation) in your counter-arguments.

Here's a thought: When EVERYbody is telling you you're taking this too seriously and you disagree...who's wrong?

Peace.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Legacy said:
It's because of your technicalities that are bringing this thread down. You start a thread extolling the greatness of Stitch; you make the blasphemous statement that Stitch belongs in the Fab 5;

Blasphemous....maybe in your opinion.

and then you start throwing a hissy-fit when others disagree with you.

I had no problem with others disagreeing with me. I took issue with the tone in which those disagreements were made.

You have been arguing schemantics, twisting OUR statements, and speculating in ALL of your Stitch threads, and then get frustrated when NO ONE agrees with you. If you are going to start a thread, at least be enough of a grown up to respect the dissenting opinions instead of making it seem like we are mean, horrible people.

Twisting statements....Legacy, I'm sorry to say that you all have been twisting my statements as well into something I was never saying. It's okay for you to twist my statements...and get away with it because others will back you up on it, but it's not okay for me to defend myself or the points I'm trying to make, without accusations of the same. That's hypocritical, but you don't see that you twisted what i said, because others agree with you.

You already quit these threads once before, and then go out and in immature attempt to safe face start a thread calling for the return of Alien Encounter. Then, when no body agreed with you on THAT, you come back to these threads to try and force your theories onto us again.

The AE thread was started because I was exhausted at seeing all the SGE complaints, and, at the time, was WRONGFULLY taking those complaints to be an attack on a character I love, not just the ride. Since then, I've realized that the contrary was true.

As far as forcing theories...I posted this thread here in the same mindset that people were attacking Stitch. I felt people might want to sit back and realize that Stitch's success is actually a good thing for Disney. Granted, he shouldn't be overhyped, but i did take issue with the idea that Stitch hadn't made an impact before SGE and now Disney is whoring him around. That sentiment was posted elsewhere. And this thread was a direct contrast to that idea. My feelings, and me saying that perhaps it might be wise to respect the contribution the people who created Stitch have made.

Or am I not allowed to post these feelings. I'm not "forcing" anyone. I'm presenting a dissenting viewpoint. You are free to disagree. Just do it respectfully and don't resort to personal attacks, and people here HAVE begun making it personal, and I've been taking it as such.

It's not hard. We have been backing up our side with facts, documented ones, and then you challenge those by saying they don't count.

No, I haven't. I'm saying that your "facts" are outside of the point I was originally making and have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Nothing at all. but me trying to explain this "remove pixar from those figures, they aren't disney, I was only talking about DISNEY characters" has met with more argument about why Pixar's characters do count.

They count in the scheme of things, but they are completely outside of the point I was trying to make and my frustration has grown as no one has been willing to actually listen to what I was saying.

Your fanaticism is becoming mind-numbingly frustrating. If you are going to make claims like you are, don't let your blind faith be your only support. The rest of us are too stubborn for that. You are not swaying ANYBODY in your arguments, and you are beginning to make yourself look like a fool.

That's what I don't understand, where did everyone suddenly get the idea that because I like Stitch, I think my opinions are the only ones that count? What does that have to do with anything? So I like Stitch? That doesn't blind me to facts. I posted this thread because at the time i felt like the character was being attacked on these boards, and I was going to stand up and be the different voice.

And I will not be shouted down because the opinion I oppose happens to be the most "popular" one. I'll stand up even if no one agrees with me. So your statement that no one is taking my side, which is very obviously intended to hurt my feelings, isn't going to make a ding.

I'm not here to get personal.

but it's gone that direction, the tones we have been taking with each other have made it so.

And nice way of insulating yourself, btw. You just made it impossible for me to post my feelings without someone thinking that I'm just being selfish and attacking and forcing others. Nice trap. I've seen it laid before. It's not a nice one to lay, and I don't appreciate it, Legacy.

I'm sorry that YOU saw this thread as an attempt to force my views down others' throats. That wasn't what it was intended to do. It was me standing up for something I believe in, and others can take it as they will.

I respect those who can return it.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Wilt Dasney said:
Yes...Stitch's popularity.

As for "you took it upon yourselves to make an argument about it"...You started a thread making statements that were debatable, and (surprise) some people chose to debate them. Imagine that. That's why it's called a discussion forum, not an "everybody agree with me" forum.

I have no problem with disagreements. I have a problem when people are rude about it, and people were rude.

If you call sensible, calm arguments with your points childish, then start handing out the pacifiers, I guess.

That's not childish. What's childish is getting into mudslinging for a very stupid reason, and, I am guilty of that. But so are some of you.

You have not once looked at the overwhelming volume of well-written posts disagreeing with you and said "hmm...maybe some of you have a point." Your consistent response has been to either say everybody but you is missing the point or to get more shrill and whiny (not an attack, just a behavioral observation) in your counter-arguments.

Here's a thought: When EVERYbody is telling you you're taking this too seriously and you disagree...who's wrong?

Peace.

It's not well written if it's filled with words like "that's laughable" or "that's ridiculous!" or the like.

How about "I disagree" instead of "You're stupid!" which is basically what that amounts to.

Granted, I did take things too personal and wish I hadn't done that, and tried to apologize. But even after doing so, people kept on with the rather insulting tone of response. So I fired back. I tried to gracefully bow out and tried to agree to disagree. Nobody wanted that. They wanted the last word.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
For example:

Stitchfan712 said:
He is becoming a modern icon

Nemorocks replies:

Gee.....that's a nice, thoughtful, well written response. I'm not supposed to take that personal or take it as a put-down of my opinion. Nope. I'm supposed to respect that.

no respect, none at all. No "I disagree with that, and here's why". No, just..."I'm laughing at you."

dxwwf3

Stitchfan, I'm sorry but you're just going to have to get over it. It's ok to defend something you like, but you can't get mad because everyone doesn't agree with you. If I got mad everytime somebody said they didn't like Alien Encounter, I would stay mad all the time. You're just going to have to move on. At least Stitch's attraction is going to get a second chance at being good. Imagine if they kept the current version in place and in 8 years they wanted a replacement? Just be very happy that your favorite character still has an attraction, because there are plenty of us that would KILL to have our favorite characters back in an attraction.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
I'm not mad because people disagree with me. I fully expect that. It would be boring indeed if everyone had the same opinion.

I got mad because people disagreed with my opinion in a way that cut me down. I didn't appreciate being the butt of jokes a few pages back. I didn't appreciate being told I was being ridiculous or that my opinions and feelings were not worth consideration, but everyone else's is.

Disagreement is fine. Dx, you know that, from our numerous, numerous conversations in which we pretty much disagree on everything, I believe we have both been consistently respectful of each other's opinion. You know I'm capable of it. So long as the other person is also respectful.

That was not afforded here.

Also, the first time I explained why I was calling Stitch #3...i thought it made sense. "I'm excluding pixar and the princesses, for these reasons"

People could have left it at that. Okay...that's where he's getting his opinion from...I don't agree with it, and here's why.

but instead...people began lambasting me by saying things like "you're just making excuses" "now you're really reaching" "you're just avoiding having to admit you're wrong".

Am I supposed to respect that, shrug it off, and continue? Or when I see that, is it okay for me to be a bit frustrated and even a little bit hurt at the way people are talking to me.

that pervaded this thread. And I kept trying to explain, over and over and over again, why I was formulating it that way. People didn't just say they disagreed, they made me out to look like an idiot, and I became even more desperate to be understood here, and got real defensive.

And here, on page 10, I'm being told I was the only one that caused a problem here.

That's wrong. It's hurtful. It's untrue, and I don't appreciate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom