Stitch Fatigue: A look into the rise and accomplishment of a modern icon

PurpleDragon

Stitchfan712 said:
Once again, I disagree very strongly here.

But until the 2004 numbers come out, I have no facts to back that up. I have no choice but to submit at this point until I (we) know for sure.
How can you disagree with a fact? Its a fact that Stitch merchandise is not being marketed anywhere outside of the Disney properties. Usually 9 times out of 10, its because the demand isn't high enough to warrant expansion outside of that domain.

Since that is the case, the numbers for 2004 will not be any different! Stitch merchandise is only available in Disney properties and because of that the sales numbers are not going to be any where near as high as other products sold in Target, Wal-Mart, and grocery store chains. Because those products are sold outside the parks, they will reach a larger consumer base. Its simple deductive reasoning.

On the basis of the pins, I see lines like that for any new exclusive limited edition Disney pin that is released. If the pin is an exclusive and in limited quantity, the masses will crowd the parks in search of it, regardless of who is on the pin, that is how pin collecting goes. If Disney produced a couple million Stitch pins, I don't think the demand would be so high, since it would not be a limited edition speciaty pin. Hell I rememebr one year me and my family got a special "lifetime guest" pin or something like that, for participating in a guest survey. As soon as we got to main street, we had at least 15 to 20 people ask us if we wanted to sell our pins. So pin traders are vultures sometimes, so I wouldn't really use that as a defense for stitch.

About the 2003 park guest survey, thats a guest survey, skewed to some degree because guests are given a list of options to choose from instead of making thier own choice(I know, I have participated in those surveys)They are nothing like current retail market numbers, which as you saw said different.

I have never said in any post that Stitch was not popular, but what I have been explaining to you is that he is not the "icon" you think he is, not everyone knows of him or necissarily likes him, and he is not on the level you think he is.

matt&helen

2004 numbers are already out. End of year sales have not happened yet, but Stitch would have to have a few hundred million or so in sales to crack the top five, and that is not going to happen by any standards. Stitch is not #3, not even by your definition. Give it up. You are taking it way to far.

PurpleDragon

matt&helen said:
2004 numbers are already out. End of year sales have not happened yet, but Stitch would have to have a few hundred million or so in sales to crack the top five, and that is not going to happen by any standards. Stitch is not #3, not even by your definition. Give it up. You are taking it way to far.
Acually Stitch would have to break 2 Billion to be in the top 5, which ain't happening by a long shot. Stitch isn't even in Forbes' top 20 fictional characters list as of this point, and he would have to be by now to even have a prayer of even breaking 1 billion by the end of the fiscal year, which is still no where near 2 Billion.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you Stitchfan712?

PurpleDragon

Just found this skimming thru your original post:

Stitchfan712 said:
As people walked into theatres half expecting a bad movie, half expecting a slapstick comedy, all were stunned to see the depth, the power, the emotion, the realism, the humanistic aspect of this movie. A movie that reflected on ourselves and our own journeys in life. the broken family, the social worked, the child that never fit in. Haven't all of us felt like Lilo sometimes?
How can you make that statement above? How do you know that people felt that way? Just because you felt that way you think the rest of the general population did too? Did you hang out outside the theatre and interview people about how they felt about the movie? So you mean there wasn't anyone who said "ehh, it was cute" or "I thought it was dumb" or "I didn't get it"?

I find it hard to believe that an entire theatre of people all fell in love with an animated character exactly the way you did. Thats awfully convenient.:rolleyes:

See its statements you make like that, that make it hard for me to believe a word you say. You make outlandish claims and assumptions based on your personal views and feelings, without looking at the facts or even considering them.

Oh and to answer your question, no I have never felt like an animated little hawaiian girl.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
PurpleDragon, would you just stop already.

You're the one trying to keep this thing going, and being rude while you do it. I'm done with it. What are you trying to prove?

DisneyFan 2000

Stitchfan712 said:

You're the one trying to keep this thing going, and being rude while you do it. I'm done with it. What are you trying to prove?

Hey StitchFan. I think he was actually quite polite. He's entitled to his opinion even tho it may annoy some of us Stitch fans ( :animwink: ).
You have to see where he's coming from. You must realise that although Stitch is a suprising success he isn't the icon you're describing.

matt&helen

PurpleDragon said:
Acually Stitch would have to break 2 Billion to be in the top 5, which ain't happening by a long shot. Stitch isn't even in Forbes' top 20 fictional characters list as of this point, and he would have to be by now to even have a prayer of even breaking 1 billion by the end of the fiscal year, which is still no where near 2 Billion.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you Stitchfan712?

I know the Forbes report. I was basing that on if we broke up all the individuals and made it an individual competition. He was saying if pixar did not count, and you didn't count all the princessess. I took the 5.4 billion and broke that up among the fab 5. Broke up the 5 billion or so for Pooh and broke that up among those characters, and broke up the princessess few billion among them. Stitch would have to make a few hundred million in the next couple of weeks to break into that group and like I said that does not include power rangers, pixar, or any other disney owned fictional character. It was a simple truth in stating that stitch was not #3, even by his definition.

PurpleDragon

Stitchfan712 said:

How am I being rude? I am simply debating statements you have made. I am not attacking you at all, I am simply asking for proof of claims you have made. If you do not want to debate and cannot backup your claims, then I suggest you do not make them in the first place.

However, if you are throwing in the towel then I will gladly step aside and allow you to do so.

I am sorry if you have been offended by anything I have said, because that was not my intention. I am simply posting opposing facts and shooting questions at you to find out where you got your info from. All things you would do during a debate. If you did not wish to debate then I am unsure why you started this thread to begin with. So I bid you good day, sir!

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
He's not. He's being condescending, and I'm tired of it. It's not necessary.

I bowed out long ago, submitted and said that I still disagreed but offered to agree to disagree.

That wasn't enough. He's on a mission to prove me wrong and make me look a fool. He's accomplished that. Perhaps I should just take a walk from this forum. This is far too aggravating, dealing with people like that. I still believe what I believe. I may be wrong, but I'm holding on. But despite that I respect his right to his opinion and that of others to present facts to the contrary. I'm not forcing anything on anyone, but y'all ed me off so damn much a few pages back that I blew up. Lovely ain't it. No one is listening to anyone else so let's just call it quits. Stop trying to make yourself look so damn superior, you probably are right. There, you happy? You probably are right. I'm just waiting for the numbers to see for myself. Just leave me alone. Stop goading me into further arguments for your amusement.

I'll say it again, we can agree to disagree. Or is that beneath your level.

PurpleDragon

matt&helen said:
I know the Forbes report. I was basing that on if we broke up all the individuals and made it an individual competition. He was saying if pixar did not count, and you didn't count all the princessess. I took the 5.4 billion and broke that up among the fab 5. Broke up the 5 billion or so for Pooh and broke that up among those characters, and broke up the princessess few billion among them. Stitch would have to make a few hundred million in the next couple of weeks to break into that group and like I said that does not include power rangers, pixar, or any other disney owned fictional character. It was a simple truth in stating that stitch was not #3, even by his definition.
Ahhh, understood!! I see!!

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
PurpleDragon said:
How am I being rude? I am simply debating statements you have made. I am not attacking you at all, I am simply asking for proof of claims you have made. If you do not want to debate and cannot backup your claims, then I suggest you do not make them in the first place.

However, if you are throwing in the towel then I will gladly step aside and allow you to do so.

I am sorry if you have been offended by anything I have said, because that was not my intention. I am simply posting opposing facts and shooting questions at you to find out where you got your info from. All things you would do during a debate. If you did not wish to debate then I am unsure why you started this thread to begin with. So I bid you good day, sir!

Debate is fine. But the way you have worded things is hurtful and insulting. Perhaps you don't see it, but that's how its being received on this end. The sarcastic tone is not appreciated.

PurpleDragon

Stitchfan712 said:
He's not. He's being condescending, and I'm tired of it. It's not necessary.

I bowed out long ago, submitted and said that I still disagreed but offered to agree to disagree.

That wasn't enough. He's on a mission to prove me wrong and make me look a fool. He's accomplished that. Perhaps I should just take a walk from this forum. This is far too aggravating, dealing with people like that. I still believe what I believe. I may be wrong, but I'm holding on. But despite that I respect his right to his opinion and that of others to present facts to the contrary. I'm not forcing anything on anyone, but y'all ed me off so damn much a few pages back that I blew up. Lovely ain't it. No one is listening to anyone else so let's just call it quits. Stop trying to make yourself look so damn superior, you probably are right. There, you happy? You probably are right. I'm just waiting for the numbers to see for myself. Just leave me alone. Stop goading me into further arguments for your amusement.

I'll say it again, we can agree to disagree. Or is that beneath your level.
Okay here is the whole of it. Last page you made a statement saying it was your last word, so I made a similar statement that was in a sense my last word. Then you picked it back up and posted a new arguement, and I simply picked up where you left off.

After that I began reading your entire original post, at your recomendation, and I found the statement I pointed out. That was simply a list of questions as to where you got your info from, I assumed maybe you got it out of a newspaper article or something of the sort. So I threw some questions your way to find out. You in turn got irritated and proceeded to call me rude and condecending. I have done nothing but to post facts and opinions in a way that was understandable by all, it is you that have read WAY too much into it and turned it into a personal attack.

So I will end it here!

ADMINISTRATOR, PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD. THANK YOU!!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Stitchfan712 said:
Debate is fine. But the way you have worded things is hurtful and insulting.

:confused:

Look....this is a message board. A place to discuss and debate all things Disney. All PurpleDragon was trying to do was post the facts, something you have not been doing. If you find the truth "hurtful" and "insulting," then this message board might not be the place for you.

Its a fact that Stitch merchandise is not being marketed anywhere outside of the Disney properties.

And that is definitely true. As I've said before, you can't walk into your local Target or Toys 'R Us and find Lilo & Stitch merchandise lining the walls (which is the case at Walt Disney World)....

Oh and to answer your question, no I have never felt like an animated little hawaiian girl.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TimeTrip

imagineer boy said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BVut seriously, I'm getting tired of this thread. Please close it moderators!

But but.. we'll never get to find out who really gets the last word!!! :lookaroun

BwanaBob

*afraid to post because it won't matter in a day, anyways!*

(ok...here goes...)

This thread is STILL going?

:lol:

At least move the thread to another section. :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom