Stitch Fatigue: A look into the rise and accomplishment of a modern icon

matt&helen

I just want to get the reasoning behind the original poster stating that Stitch is #3. That's not true even by his/her definition. Pixar character's don't count. I get his/her reasoning behind that, even though it is silly. Princess's don't count because it is a collective group? Right? Does that include Pooh too, since there is more than Pooh? If that is the reasoning, then let's break up the fab 5, break up the princess's, break up Pooh, and break up stitch, and make it an individual competition. Use what Forbes claimed each series made and divide it up between the individuals. That way we get his/her defintion. Stitch does not even come close to #3 if we break it up like that. And that does not include Pixar or any of the other character's that Disney owns.
It is nice to see someone that is passionate about Stitch. I like him and the movies, I have both of them. I'm even looking forward to SGA. All I disagree with, is don't state something that isn't factual. You can like Stitch, and you can claim your case why you do and why everyone should, but do not make untrue claims and try not to use the Lord's name in vain also.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I really, REALLY wanted to stay away from this thread....

Blasphemous....maybe in your opinion.

You seem to be the only one who thinks that statement is true.

I had no problem with others disagreeing with me. I took issue with the tone in which those disagreements were made.

Replying with "YOUR facts are wrong" certainly isn't the way to do it.

No, I haven't. I'm saying that your "facts" are outside of the point I was originally making and have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Nothing at all. but me trying to explain this "remove pixar from those figures, they aren't disney, I was only talking about DISNEY characters" has met with more argument about why Pixar's characters do count.

The problem is that you can't just go and make up your own stuff. If you want to present a valid argument then you must do it with proven facts.

I have no problem with disagreements. I have a problem when people are rude about it, and people were rude.

"Damn it, Nemo. I'm not talking about that."

"Good lord. I'm rightly ed about this. A good thread went down in flames because of a f**ing technicality." (you also made another statement at the end of that post which was unacceptable but have since edited it)

And you say I was being rude?

no respect, none at all. No "I disagree with that, and here's why". No, just..."I'm laughing at you."

It's a laughable statement. What else is there to say?

imagineer boy

Very good points Nemo! I am sick of this thread. Stitch fan, if you can't handle the fact that most people dislike SGE, then let it go. People have different opinions than yours. Bottom line, END OF DISCUSSION!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Stitchfan712 said:
Jesus H. Christ!

First, Jesus middle innitial wasn't H.

Second, and the real reason why the new Stitch attraction, is that it was way to simple to re-use the facility that was available, pop out the AE animatronic and pop in the stitch doll, change some videos, a few signs, and BAM, you have a new attraction based on a Disney movie. I dont think that Disney had much choice in the matter since there was no other movie that would fit in in Tomorrowland, that they could base a low budget refab attratction on. I dont think replacing AE with Brother Bear, Nemo, or Chicken Little would have fit in, so they pretty much had to use Stitch.

Third, where do the Wiggles fit in on this popularity issue??? :lookaroun :p :lookaroun :p :lookaroun :p

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Darn, I broke the 500 post barrier on a Stitch thread.....crud...... :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

Wait, never mind, I didnt....whew.......... :lol:

Legacy

imagineer boy said:
Since we've beaten this subject to death, anyone want a thread drift? :lookaroun
Clarabell Cow needs an attraction. Maybe they could rip out Splash Mountain and put a ride featuring my favorite non-Fab Five member in there.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Legacy said:
Clarabell Cow needs an attraction. Maybe they could rip out Splash Mountain and put a ride featuring my favorite non-Fab Five member in there.
I think Pete should have his own attraction....the gas station in Toontown Fair just doesn't do it.

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
One last word from me and then I am done with this thread.

Originally, i thought that the attacks on SGE translated into attacks on the Stitch character.

I also fiercly defended SGE.

I have, recently, come to realize I was wrong on both counts. I no longer feel that way. It's not an issue. I like SGE as it is, but bring on the rehab. I'm all for it if it makes people happy.

Likewise, people can feel SGE is dumb, but, that doesn't mean they hate Stitch. I've realized this. Not an issue. Done.

PurpleDragon

Wow!!!:eek: I was gone for 2 days and you guys streached 4 more pages out of this topic.

Anyway, I thought I had said all I could say about this topic, I have presented my evidence and facts in a clear understandable manor. But now I have been accused of making personal attacks????:confused: Its call debating Stitchfan712, you make a claim without any type of facts or info to back it up, then I have every right to say that your statement is "Debateable" or "laughable" becuase you have not proven to me that it is any type of legitimate or factual statement.

You must learn that you can't claim your statements are "true" or "fact" without any type of evidence to back it up, outside of your personal opinions (no, your aunt doesn't count). You have time and time again claimed that Stitch is the number 3 character in the Disney line up, we have proven you wrong. You have claimed that our facts do not count, but have given no legitimate reason. You say it has to be an original Disney character, and Pixar doesn't count, well those characters count 100%, they have attracitons in the park, they are marketed in all aspects ad Disney characters, they were created by Pixar specifically for Disney so in all aspects they are Disney characters and should be counted as such. The Disney Princesses are all Disney characters individually anad as a whole, they are original Disney animated creations and so they should be included as such. You can't just say this doesn't count and that doesn't count because I don't want it to, thats just childish. Neither Disney nor the Market anylizers or the general public differentiate between the characters and character lines, so why should we do it now? Because it supports your feable arguement? I don't think so!

The point is you need to do your research and come with some type of facts before posting things you say are as such. You can't simply try and discredit facts presented based on a simple technicality. Facts are facts weather you agree with them or not, they have time and time again proven you claims incorrect, but you simply keep trying. Well be my guest, you are more than welcome to debate till your blue in the face, but just be warned, we will continue to discredit your claims and assumptions until you finally decide to stop or can back them up with some hard evidence.

Oh and F.Y.I. Legacy, I'm a guy!! :lol:

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Please, let's end this discussion.

Last word:

I'll wait for the Forbes 2004 numbers. Pixar does count. Stitch is #3 if you exclude Pixar and the princesses. You disagree with that and think it's silly to exclude them. That's fine, have your opinion, you have that right.

I give in. Now, please let it go, before it spreads to other threads. I'm done with it.

dxwwf3

Stitchfan712 said:

Last word:

I'll wait for the Forbes 2004 numbers. Pixar does count. Stitch is #3 if you exclude Pixar and the princesses. You disagree with that and think it's silly to exclude them. That's fine, have your opinion, you have that right.

I give in. Now, please let it go, before it spreads to other threads. I'm done with it.

Ok my last word:

Yes my opinion is you have to count Pixar and Princesses. That would be like saying "Alien Encounter was the most popular attraction in the Magic Kingdom because Space Mountain and Splash Mountain don't count". Why don't they count? Because they were rides and Alien Encounter was a show.

See what I'm saying. You have to count them all if they are making money for Disney.

But you can believe what you want. You might end up being right and Stitch does sell better than we expect.

Now I'm done.

PurpleDragon

Stitchfan712 said:

Last word:

No, actually Power Rangers are number 3 if you exclude Pixar and the Princesses. And even if you exclude Power Rangers, Stitch is still not going to have the #3 spot. I have not found anywhere that says Stitch has made any type of high sales numbers, so I doubt Stitch is even in the top 50.

So Lets just say this:

1. Stitch is popular but not THAT popular
2. His sales are nothing to write home about since Disney does not feel the need to market him outside of Disney property, due to the lack of "immense popularity" (i.e. worldwide recognition)
3. The ride sucks and needs improvement.
4. Disney is currently overhyping the character in the parks.

Now lets say we leave it at that!:D

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
PurpleDragon said:
2. His sales are nothing to write home about since Disney does not feel the need to market him outside of Disney property, due to the lack of "immense popularity" (i.e. worldwide recognition)

Once again, I disagree very strongly here.

But until the 2004 numbers come out, I have no facts to back that up. I have no choice but to submit at this point until I (we) know for sure.

EDIT: My friend from California, the one mentioned in the original post, has just seen this thread. She has something to add:

"Yes, you are right, Pixar's numbers do count and you can't cut their creations or the princesses out of the deal, money is money as you said."

"But in regards to Stitch's popularity, I have something for you to consider. The 12 days of Christmas pins being released at WDW are open stock. Stitch is #12: 12 Drummers Drumming. Being open stock, I would estimate there are 5,000 of those pins on property, would that be a fair assessment?"

"Let's go with that figure for now. The pin was released at 10:00 am. By 11:30, those pins were sold out resortwide. I and my family purchased the last three pins in the resort. 5,000 pins sold out in just an hour and a half."

"I don't know if you could consider that a fair measure of Stitch's popularity, but when guests line up at the entrance to DCA and WOD hours before opening, just for Stitch pins, it would suggest some strength for that character."

"One more thing to add. Disney Magazine did a guest/reader survey for the year of 2003 of the favorite Disney characters. Mickey was #1, Pooh was #2, and Stitch was #3. This is where Stitchfan got his original info from. The merchandise sales may be reflected different in Forbes, and no, Brandon, Forbes is NOT wrong. But it is correct that Stitch's sales have increased over the 2004 fiscal year. The figures will reflect that. I can assure you that Stitch will indeed be in the top 10 and perhaps in the top 5 when those numbers are released."

"I would also agree that the Stitch promotion in WDW is overkill. I love Stitch, but I don't need to see/hear him everywhere I go. Brandon is a bit different from me on that, though. And he knows it. ;)"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom