Still working on itinerary - what about Rafiki's Planet Watch?

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
Is Rafiki's Planet Watch at the AK worth the time?
We are only going to be touring AK one day.
We missed some of the major attractions last summer due to large crowds, so we want to be sure to make time for them on this trip (Flights of Wonder, Festival of the Lion King, Nemo the Musical-was not open yet, Jammin' Jungle Parade).
What do you think?:veryconfu
:wave:

Wilt Dasney

It's a diversion, nothing there is going to knock your socks off.

I personally really like the sound booths with the Mother Willow recording if those are still there. Those are pretty relaxing. You might also see some people walking around with small animals, letting kids touch them and explaining things about them. And there's the petting zoo, where you can brush a goat's hair.

That's basically it. You might also see Rafiki or Pocahontas walking around. Like I said, it's more a way to relax in an air-conditioned environment than anything else.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
it is a glorified petting zoo. i havent been since it was conservation station but im sure drastic changes havent been made.

this is some kind of itinerary.....

Mickey&Minnie

We went there for our first trip together in 2004 and weren't overly impressed. If you have kids it may be worth the very very long trek to get there but if not and you only have one day there are much better attractions to spend your time on. We plan on trying it again on our next trip but only b/c we have to time to spare.

KCBroadway

I would definitely see Festival of the Lion King over going to Rafiki's Planet Watch. My husband and I went two years ago and walked around for a small amount of time. The only thing I found interesting was the on-site veterinarians. You could watch them working on animals, which I thought was neat. If you're pressed for time - see the shows instead! I also heard that Nemo was GREAT and should not be missed!

lilmizpixie3

Its alright, but once you've seen it theres not really a need to go back. If you want to get in all of the rides, i would suggest skipping it.

Lucky

On a list of AK attractions I'd put Rafiki's Planet Watch and Conservation Station dead last unless (1) you're a veterinarian or (2) you have very young kids.

CrashNet

Its alright, but once you've seen it theres not really a need to go back. If you want to get in all of the rides, i would suggest skipping it.
I second this. You get to see a lot of exotic animals around the park while you're walking around. If you want to get close to them, the Kilamanjaro Safari is the way to go. Be sure of course to check out Expedition: Everest, Kali River Rapids (only if you don't mind potentially getting soaked), Dinosaur, and It's Tough to Be a Bug. Also, if your children like Nemo, you must see Finding Nemo: The Musical. The Festival of the Lion King is also a must see. There is an animal walk just outside of Kali River Rapids that has bats, tigers, an open bird house you walk into and can see all the birds, and other animals. Thats fun and its nicely themed.

One little thing you might want to try too if you have time: If you head over to the Fast Pass distribution for Its Tough to Be a Bug, look for a hidden path entrance at the back of the little hut its under. The path leads up really close to the Tree of Life and you can see all of the animals. Pretty sure its still there. ;)

CThaddeus

Guess I'm in the minority here. I usually only go to Animal Kingdom for a day (of course, I only go in the off season), and I ALWAYS go to Rafiki's Planet Watch (aka Conservation Station). To me, it's like a little bit of EPCOT in Animal Kingdom. It's like a pavilion that educates and entertains. I enjoy riding the train to the Station, as it removes you from the rest of the Park. And the walk to the actual building further removes you from everything else, so I like that too. I'm also a big fan of trying to find the Hidden Mickeys in the animals painted on and in the building, watching the Rafiki's Planet Watch videos, listening to Sounds of the Rainforest, checking out the veterinary practices, and watching whatever animal show-and-tell they're doing on the "stage."
Don't go expecting high thrills and such, but it's a nice, relaxing way to spend an hour. To me, it's one of the few highlights of Animal Kingdom...but I know most don't feel that way.

slappy magoo

Rafiki's Planet Watch is kind of a wild card. Depending on the day, your kids and their mood, it could be a blast. My wife and I enjoyed our time there (it also helped that parts of it are indoors and air conditioned and it was hotter than bejeezus that day), but it definitely isn't a thrill-fest. But it could be the sort of "Fun family activity" deals that'll give you the warm & fuzzies - something you'll look back on fondly as an experience with your kids as opposed to yet another line for yet another ride. I doubt you'll stay up nights if you miss it, but it has potential to be something memorable, albiet on a personal level and not a grand scale.

bayoutinkbelle

Count me in the minority, too. We always go. If you go early enough in the day, you could catch the vets doing exams/procedures on some of the animals. Very interesting.

My son is a train buff, so he loves the ride there. I like the behind-the-scenes glimpses you get, as well.

We can spend an hour - easily - just wandering around, experiencing the exhibits and watching the animals. I find it's a great way to relax away from the crowds and slow down. Excellent way to recharge on a hot and crowded day, IMHO.

DisneyMarg

And as I have posted before (although it has been awhile), the time we went the train broke down and took FOREVER to come back to get us. We waited over an hour for the train to start running and by then there were hundreds (millions??) of tired, thirsty, hot, cranky people all wanting to get on. People were missing dining reservations, we had to curtail most of the rest of our afternoon plans, and overall it was really miserable. Unless they have changed the options for getting in and out, I would avoid it unless I had nothing else to do.

wdwmomof3

I didn't read any other post on here but I will never go back there again until they make some major changes. This was BORING! We did it back in 1999 and have never been back. I can still see my little girls walking in the goat ________ and thinking I was going to have to go buy new shoes. :hurl: I hate petting zoos for this reason only.

CThaddeus

I didn't read any other post on here but I will never go back there again until they make some major changes. This was BORING! We did it back in 1999 and have never been back. I can still see my little girls walking in the goat ________ and thinking I was going to have to go buy new shoes. :hurl: I hate petting zoos for this reason only.

Yeah, nature is evil. how dare Disney let animals ________ like that.

I-4Warrior

While planning your itinerary, pretend that you never saw Rafikis Planet Watch on any of the vacation planning materials. Act like it's not there, and just plan on interesting attractions... which is just about every attraction that is not Rafikis Planet Watch. That sounds kind of harsh, doesn't it? It's not that it's insulting or horrible, it's just not something to bog down your vacation plans with when there's so many better things to experience.

Sabrefan14

While planning your itinerary, pretend that you never saw Rafikis Planet Watch on any of the vacation planning materials. Act like it's not there, and just plan on interesting attractions... which is just about every attraction that is not Rafikis Planet Watch. That sounds kind of harsh, doesn't it? It's not that it's insulting or horrible, it's just not something to bog down your vacation plans with when there's so many better things to experience.

Could not agree more, Rafikis planet watch is not special, plus you have to take a train to get there, which adds more time. If you miss it, it is not like you are missing any disney magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom