Starbucks coming to Disney parks

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As subtle as they try, it will be out of place because Italian themed coffee houses did not exist in the places they are putting them. Along with that, the products inside are modern interpretations of drinks that did not exist in the states until the 50's. Our country doesn't need more corporate fiction.

I think the idea is, that they won't be italian themed. Will they serve modern coffee products? Yes, of course. But why is that a problem? The current incarnation of the Main Street Bakery serves a plethora of things not available in 1900 America. Add that to all the modern equipment they have in there, and you have major thematic break? I guess. But is it a necessity? Yes. So long as these Starbucks look akin to the Main Street Bakery, if it is on MS. Or in future world they have a futuristic theme, then I think it fits right in with what DL and WDW have always been.

llrain

whatever happend to disney carrying the little guy products?
There was once a time where they carried the thymes product line. THen it went away and replaced by H2o products.
I inquired why they got rid of it and they said that the thymes was turning into a big brand and that disney likes to so to say, help out the little companies, so they went with h20, another little company at the time....though h2o is big now...
and then theres this, a strong deviation from their norm that shows the disney company seems not to care anymore about doing this trend of brining in a not so main stream product.

Id honestly rather the nestle crap than starbucks...starbucks tastes terrible to me..not to say the nestle is any better...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
whatever happend to disney carrying the little guy products?
There was once a time where they carried the thymes product line. THen it went away and replaced by H2o products.
I inquired why they got rid of it and they said that the thymes was turning into a big brand and that disney likes to so to say, help out the little companies, so they went with h20, another little company at the time....though h2o is big now...
and then theres this, a strong deviation from their norm that shows the disney company seems not to care anymore about doing this trend of brining in a not so main stream product.

Id honestly rather the nestle crap than starbucks...starbucks tastes terrible to me..not to say the nestle is any better...

Nestlé is one of the biggest food and beverage companies on the planet.

flavious27

I think the idea is, that they won't be italian themed. Will they serve modern coffee products? Yes, of course. But why is that a problem? The current incarnation of the Main Street Bakery serves a plethora of things not available in 1900 America. Add that to all the modern equipment they have in there, and you have major thematic break? I guess. But is it a necessity? Yes. So long as these Starbucks look akin to the Main Street Bakery, if it is on MS. Or in future world they have a futuristic theme, then I think it fits right in with what DL and WDW have always been.

The product that would have been sold at that time is like night and day compared to what starbucks sells. It would be like the fire station having something from e-one in the garage.

BeanSz

FINALLY!!! I am a huge coffee drinker -- like many different chains, but do frequent Starbucks an awful lot. I am always frustrated by the limited selection of places to get good coffee at WDW. The highlight of my trip is when we go to O'Hana Character Breakfast and upgrade our coffee to a Kona French Press -- YUM!! I always seem to trying to find good coffee around the parks -- Welcome Starbucks!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The product that would have been sold at that time is like night and day compared to what starbucks sells. It would be like the fire station having something from e-one in the garage.

I am not sure I am understanding. Do you think Main Street USA should only be selling time/theme appropriate merchandise? To take that to it's extreme would make for a very unpleasant dining/shopping experience.

jakeman

I am not sure I am understanding. Do you think Main Street USA should only be selling time/theme appropriate merchandise? To take that to it's extreme would make for a very unpleasant dining/shopping experience.
Wait a minute, you mean I can't get creamed chipped beef on toast any more at the Main Street Bakery? Or creamed salmon? What about canned milk or kippered herring?

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO! THE THEME IS BROKEN! :hammer:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As subtle as they try, it will be out of place because Italian themed coffee houses did not exist in the places they are putting them. Along with that, the products inside are modern interpretations of drinks that did not exist in the states until the 50's. Our country doesn't need more corporate fiction.

I'm with xdan here. Disney has never tried to limit food offerings to time/region appropriate stuff. They use modern kitchen equipment in Frontierland and Liberty Square, not to mention Main Street. Guess that's all wrong. And you can get a hamburger for a kids meal in restaurants in Morocco and France in Epcot -- that's not very location-appropriate.

Plus, coffee is already offered on Main Street and everywhere else a Starbucks will go -- are you saying that Disney coffee is time/location approrpiate, but Starbucks coffee isn't? Or have you always objected to 20th and 21st century-style coffee being served on Main Street? You are correct that Italian-themed coffee houses didn't exit, but neither did entertainment companies built with profits from short films featuring a cartoon mouse.

audiotinker

:eek: Can it be????? No more Nescafe?????? No more CRAPaccino's?????? YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

*pinch :sohappy:

LaughingGravy

... It's not like it's a Mickey M&G and he is making your coffee...

Now, there's a good idea! :king:
Mickey-Mouse-Mickey-with-Coffee-Original.jpg

flavious27

Main street should sell products that are close to what they are themed towards. A turn of the century, mid-western town would not have an Italian cafe. If that town did have a place serving coffee, it would be just drip coffee.

The same is going to be for what they put into dca, that type of fare was not served until later. If disney wants to create something authentic, they can do the same thing as the brown derby and use a local coffee shop as their inspiration.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Main street should sell products that are close to what they are themed towards. A turn of the century, mid-western town would not have an Italian cafe. If that town did have a place serving coffee, it would be just drip coffee.

The same is going to be for what they put into dca, that type of fare was not served until later. If disney wants to create something authentic, they can do the same thing as the brown derby and use a local coffee shop as their inspiration.

A Midwestern town would have a bakery though, and that is most likely where they will incorporate the Starbucks location. Again, Disney is looking to make sure that it blends with the local theming, not against it.

Of course, local towns from the Midwest or other areas of those time periods wouldn't have global entities making their ice cream or other sundries, but we've managed to get past that as well....

Lord Pheonix

Not much.... Prefer Dunkin Donuts

me too, but as dd is better then starbucks, we must realize that starbucks is better then whatever coffee they make now. although i havent been there since 2008, i remember trying to find a good cup of coffee was like trying to find a quiet place to relax during spring break.

71jason

But WDW already serves Italian coffees on Main Street (or warm beverages that share a name with Italian coffees). This is hardly changing just because of Starbucks.

acishere

Does it really matter when the end result is that fancy Italian latte and the regular coffee are going in the same identical white cup with the mermaid on it?

(Are they bringing in the Starbucks cups along with their products?)

Should guests be chased out of Frontier-land when their cell phone goes off? Because that would be totally accurate if that happened during the time period that place is themed after.

AsanaDisney

Sounds like a great idea to me! I only wish it was being implemented before my trip on may 21st. Am I correct in thinking they said starbucks would begin its appearance in June at WDW? Their wording confused me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom