Starbucks coming to Disney parks

flavious27

No no no. It will be awkward and their product will clash with the theming. It will end up with something like this.

global-frappuccino-1330738304_1.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

Starbucks products at Disney are a positive development in my book. And I am sure the integration of the Starbucks "cafes" (as already evidenced by Al Lutz) is being done in a such a way as to avoid any clash in theming and immersion.

Lets wait to see the final product before automatically jumping to worst case conclusions.

No no no. It will be awkward and their product will clash with the theming. It will end up with something like this.

global-frappuccino-1330738304_1.jpg

No, it won't. As per Al Lutz, the FFP Cafe in DCA will feature subtle logo placement and period signage, not the typical signage or branding of your local Starbucks. And everything inside (apart from the espresso machines) will be themed to the environment/land of the respective theme parks.

Boster24

Starbucks

As someone who visits the world between 4-6 times per year I wonder who the Disney people spoke to regarding coffee. Starbucks is the worst, even worse than the Nescafe they serve right now. The only thing Starbucks is good for is cleaning the love bugs off your car in the spring. Bad news indeed, what ever happened to a good Folgers Roast, or Maxwell House or even Costco's Kirkland Roast for coffee, at least I won't gag like I do with Starbucks!

devoy1701

Starbucks products at Disney are a positive development in my book. And I am sure the integration of the Starbucks "cafes" (as already evidenced by Al Lutz) is being done in a such a way as to avoid any clash in theming and immersion.

Lets wait to see the final product before automatically jumping to worst case conclusions.

No, it won't. As per Al Lutz, the FFP Cafe in DCA will feature subtle logo placement and period signage, not the typical signage or branding of your local Starbucks. And everything inside (apart from the espresso machines) will be themed to the environment/land of the respective theme parks.

to play devils advocate here...the article only mentions the outside theming, and that inside (during the morning hours atleast) it will operate as a typical Starbucks. I didn't see anything to specify that they will have to maintain theming inside. Now I don't doubt that they will...i just wonder to what extent.

NowInc

More options are always a good thing in my opinion. Don't like Starbucks? Good news..you don't have to buy it. Its not a mandatory choice at the parks, nor are starbucks about to "take over" every food service area in the parks. I bring us back to Univeral..who already has a full on starbucks in the park. The one they have isn't even themed and its not distracting or "downgrading" the rest of the park in any way (Don't go into a Uni vs Disney debate here..just bringing up the closest comparison). It seems Disney is taking the steps to make sure that it "blends" (no pun intended) in nicely and will function a specific way. The only nightmares about these I see are the long lines that Starbucks always brings..even at their non themepark location (you can never make one big enough), and the fact that since they won't be "franchise" locations, you are going to see a bunch of angry customers complaining when the Disney SBux doesn't honor company wide promotions that are currently running. (Hell..that happens even in franchise stores: ie: this past week on earth day when coffee was free if you brought in your own cup....in canada. People in the states went crazy when it wasn't honored here).

njDizFan

They are the Budweiser of coffee. Multimillion dollar ad campaign with a bunch of hype behind a tasteless junk product.
Just a question...I certainly agree about Budweiser...but what is your coffee chain of preference?

I understand you don't enjoy the roasting techniques but to classify their product as tasteless I believe is a little off the mark.

LaughingGravy

I see a few things happening.
$3-4 cups of coffee, just for coffee, not a mocha-latta-caramel frassafrap or whatever special concoction is wanted.
Long lines anyway for this coffee. Starbucks lovers go nuts for the stuff.
So, long lines for coffee can mean shorter lines for the rest of people for the attractions...
and/or....multiple line jumpers with coffee catching up to their families.

I am a luddite when it comes to coffee. Gimme a cup of coffee in a normal cup
greek-coffee-cup.jpg
and it shouldn't cost more than a buck, unless I'm asking for something else.
Our coffee maker at home makes 12 cups with a simple gravity drip, no K-cups, and the coffee maker we currently use is 19 years old. We do clean it out frequently and it works just fine.

I'm also not a huge coffee drinker but I do like a Frappaccinno when its hot out. As long as they'll offer a decaf version in the parks, this is a win.

The only concern I would have is the prices compared to everyone's neighborhood Starbucks. Would they be set by Starbucks or Disney? Starbucks setting the prices, you have a chance at them being comparable to everyplace else. If Disney sets them and then tries to justify drinks as options on the DDP, I can see drinks going for ten dollars.

I just like the fact that there will be another option BESIDES nescafe - which I only drink in times of desperation. We always bring down our own coffee and brew it in the rooms. 1. because my children are up at the crack of dawn and I need coffee BEFORE I get to the parks and 2. Quality.

Starbucks may not be everyone's favorite coffee - but it is a different option. If you don't like the option then speak up. I believe they've been receiving complaints about Nescafe for ever a decade. So talk loud and proud and in 10 years maybe they will pick your brand of choice.

jamiek81

Now, if we can only get Tim Horton's coffee at the Canada Pavillion. (I appreciate that unless you're from Canada, you may not know what an institution it is here, but it's crazy...kind of like hockey. The relatively small city I live in-140,000 people-has close to 30 Tim's locations, including in hospitals and City Hall. :))

That is an AWESOME idea! I love Tim Hortons! I wish we had more of them in the states.

TP2000

The Fiddler Fifer and Practical Cafe in DCA is the first Starbucks location in a Disney park this June. It looks nicely themed to 1920's Los Angeles, and Al Lutz says they are using custom made themed logos and signage that isn't the usual Starbucks modern green.

Future Starbucks Location in DCA
IMG7521-M.jpg

Al Lutz is also saying the remodeled Carnation Cafe in the middle of Main Street USA at Disneyland will be the second Starbucks location in a Disney park when it opens this July.

Future Starbucks Location in Disneyland
IMG6979-M.jpg

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.c...hotos/22586612_vP8qTp#!i=1808180113&k=LQ29j4J

We'll all know how well they theme these Starbucks into the Disneyland Resort parks within two or three months. I am sure the WDW locations will be similarly themed to their respective parks and properties. I have confidence WDI will do this correctly for all six Disney parks!

dreamscometrue

More options are always a good thing in my opinion. Don't like Starbucks? Good news..you don't have to buy it. Its not a mandatory choice at the parks, nor are starbucks about to "take over" every food service area in the parks. I bring us back to Univeral..who already has a full on starbucks in the park. The one they have isn't even themed and its not distracting or "downgrading" the rest of the park in any way (Don't go into a Uni vs Disney debate here..just bringing up the closest comparison). It seems Disney is taking the steps to make sure that it "blends" (no pun intended) in nicely and will function a specific way. The only nightmares about these I see are the long lines that Starbucks always brings..even at their non themepark location (you can never make one big enough), and the fact that since they won't be "franchise" locations, you are going to see a bunch of angry customers complaining when the Disney SBux doesn't honor company wide promotions that are currently running. (Hell..that happens even in franchise stores: ie: this past week on earth day when coffee was free if you brought in your own cup....in canada. People in the states went crazy when it wasn't honored here).

This! :wave:

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I think this is a relly good thing. Im not a starbucks lover or hater but its gotta be better than the nescafe they have in most spots around the parks. Not to mention the frappiccinos and ice coffees etc.

TP2000

I think this is a relly good thing. Im not a starbucks lover or hater but its gotta be better than the nescafe they have in most spots around the parks. Not to mention the frappiccinos and ice coffees etc.

I had an absolutely horrible Mocha at Disneyland a few weeks ago, at the otherwise fabulous new Jolly Holiday Bakery at the end of Main Street USA. The very sweet girl who was working the espresso machine was a doll, but her barista skills were clearly lacking. In fact, it appeared she had no barista skills whatsoever and was just using general knowledge gained from her dorm room Mr. Coffee. The Mocha was sickeningly sweet and lukewarm, with no real foam, and layered with aerosol can whipped cream. Disgusting. :hurl:

Disney really does not appear to equip these CM's with any real knowledge of the product they are allegedly creating for paying customers. If Starbucks can come in and fix that, so much the better, regardless of how well themed the logo is on the front door.

flavious27

As subtle as they try, it will be out of place because Italian themed coffee houses did not exist in the places they are putting them. Along with that, the products inside are modern interpretations of drinks that did not exist in the states until the 50's. Our country doesn't need more corporate fiction.

SyracuseOrange

I see a few things happening.
$3-4 cups of coffee, just for coffee, not a mocha-latta-caramel frassafrap or whatever special concoction is wanted.
Long lines anyway for this coffee. Starbucks lovers go nuts for the stuff.
So, long lines for coffee can mean shorter lines for the rest of people for the attractions...
and/or....multiple line jumpers with coffee catching up to their families.

I highly doubt this will make any noticeable in attraction lines. It's not like it's a Mickey M&G and he is making your coffee...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom