Starbucks coming to Disney parks

Tigger1988

Main street should sell products that are close to what they are themed towards. A turn of the century, mid-western town would not have an Italian cafe. If that town did have a place serving coffee, it would be just drip coffee.

The same is going to be for what they put into dca, that type of fare was not served until later. If disney wants to create something authentic, they can do the same thing as the brown derby and use a local coffee shop as their inspiration.
So do you take issue with the selling Powerade in the Bakery? Coke products in the bakery?

disnyfan89

Sounds like a great idea to me! I only wish it was being implemented before my trip on may 21st. Am I correct in thinking they said starbucks would begin its appearance in June at WDW? Their wording confused me.

There's no official date for WDW yet. June will be the first location opening in DCA in Cali.

EastYorkDisFan

Now, if we can only get Tim Horton's coffee at the Canada Pavillion. (I appreciate that unless you're from Canada, you may not know what an institution it is here, but it's crazy...kind of like hockey. The relatively small city I live in-140,000 people-has close to 30 Tim's locations, including in hospitals and City Hall. :))

I agree with that completely they seriously need Tim's at the Canadian Pavilion

TP2000

Am I correct in thinking they said starbucks would begin its appearance in June at WDW? Their wording confused me.

Yeah, the wording was bad. It appears to be a rushed, panicky press release because Al Lutz had totally spilled the beans the week before about Starbucks going into a specific location in DCA, including it's shared Starbucks/Disney menu concept for breakfast and lunch, and how many espresso machines it will have (Four!).

Disney was clearly not ready to announce this Starbucks deal yet, but Al Lutz forced their hand by dropping the rumor bomb big time and laying it all out there for Disneyland Resort, and it was the hot buzz in SoCal, so Disney had to react before they were ready. :lol:

The timeline for the Disney theme park Starbucks appears to be as follows, per the specific Disneyland info from Al Lutz and the vague press release about WDW:

• Starbucks #1 - Disney California Adventure; Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe on Buena Vista Street opening June 15th 2012
  • Starbucks #2 - Disneyland Park; Carnation Cafe on Main Street USA opening July 17th 2012
  • Starbucks #3 - Magic Kingdom Park; Locaton Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #4 - Epcot; Location Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #5 - DHS; Location Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #6 - DAK; Location Unknown, Date Unknown

None of the WDW rumor reporters (Yee, Hill, etc.) seem to have any information about the WDW locations or timeline, and none of them have ever mentioned Starbucks in the WDW parks. This was exclusively a West Coast story about Disneyland/DCA for the past year mainly from Mr. Lutz, and Lutz' specific mention in April of exact locations and details in the two Anaheim parks seems to have pushed Disney into mentioning Starbucks for all the parks before they had planned to.

Stupido

The smartest move for Magic Kingdom would be to put Starbucks in Tommorrowland. It would calm everyone worried that Starbucks is throwing off themeing in the park. Let's face it, I can't see a future without Starbucks.

invader

The smartest move for Magic Kingdom would be to put Starbucks in Tommorrowland. It would calm everyone worried that Starbucks is throwing off themeing in the park. Let's face it, I can't see a future without Starbucks.

I'd rather it actually be on Main Street. To know it's in the past and not the future would be a good thing. :lol:

freediverdude

Well, right now in my local Starbucks, a grande size cinnamon dolce is already over 4 bucks. I can't imagine how much it would be inside a Disney theme park....7 bucks? 8 bucks?? LOL

maxairmike

It's already been noted that the Universal locations have the same price as other, non-park locations, so I wouldn't expect much, if any markup for the Disney locations.

rob0519

Now, if we can only get Tim Horton's coffee at the Canada Pavillion. (I appreciate that unless you're from Canada, you may not know what an institution it is here, but it's crazy...kind of like hockey. The relatively small city I live in-140,000 people-has close to 30 Tim's locations, including in hospitals and City Hall. :))

I agree with the Tim Horton's idea. There are no shops within several hundred miles of me, but they are near where I sometimes travel for business and I'm always sure to get my coffee there.

Personally, I would rather see Tim Horton's, Dunkin's or almost anyone other than Starbucks in the parks, but choice is a good thing and I'm sure Starbucks will do well. It's a reasonable bet this deal has been in the works for a long time due to negotiating location, pricing, product selection, royalty fees and branding signage.

Whatever happened to the time where Hill's Brothers, Folgers, Maxwell House and a host of other commercial coffees were accepted as "good" and the cost was reasonable?

NoChesterHester

You know your position is untenable if you are argueing for keeping Nescafé.

Also, it has been a long long time since we had properly themed merchandise per the shop it was sold in. I'd love to see a return to that in some fashion, but argueing we should have period specific items only is just totally unrealistic. It dilutes the reasonable point that we should have more variety in merchandise and shopping options.

NoChesterHester

Whatever happened to the time where Hill's Brothers, Folgers, Maxwell House and a host of other commercial coffees were accepted as "good" and the cost was reasonable?

Heaven forbid we learned what swill mass production churned out for our consumption from the advent of WWII until the rebirth of boutique food retailing...

jed012788

Yeah, the wording was bad. It appears to be a rushed, panicky press release because Al Lutz had totally spilled the beans the week before about Starbucks going into a specific location in DCA, including it's shared Starbucks/Disney menu concept for breakfast and lunch, and how many espresso machines it will have (Four!).

Disney was clearly not ready to announce this Starbucks deal yet, but Al Lutz forced their hand by dropping the rumor bomb big time and laying it all out there for Disneyland Resort, and it was the hot buzz in SoCal, so Disney had to react before they were ready. :lol:

The timeline for the Disney theme park Starbucks appears to be as follows, per the specific Disneyland info from Al Lutz and the vague press release about WDW:

• Starbucks #1 - Disney California Adventure; Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe on Buena Vista Street opening June 15th 2012
  • Starbucks #2 - Disneyland Park; Carnation Cafe on Main Street USA opening July 17th 2012
  • Starbucks #3 - Magic Kingdom Park; Locaton Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #4 - Epcot; Location Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #5 - DHS; Location Unknown, Date Unknown
  • Starbucks #6 - DAK; Location Unknown, Date Unknown

None of the WDW rumor reporters (Yee, Hill, etc.) seem to have any information about the WDW locations or timeline, and none of them have ever mentioned Starbucks in the WDW parks. This was exclusively a West Coast story about Disneyland/DCA for the past year mainly from Mr. Lutz, and Lutz' specific mention in April of exact locations and details in the two Anaheim parks seems to have pushed Disney into mentioning Starbucks for all the parks before they had planned to.
I find it extremely hard to believe that anything Al Lutz would force two major corporation to announce a deal of this magnitude prematurely. Mr. Lutz may have a voice in this rabid Disney fan community, but he is absolutely meaningless in the "real" media. In fact, he's less than meaningless -- he doesn't even exist.

Mr. Lutz's reports reach nobody of consequence. The Disney-Starbucks deal was news in the biggest media outlets in the country. Unless somebody like The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times was on the verge of breaking the story, that release wasn't rushed.

cooleo

Being a serious Starbucks fan, I am very pumped about this. Will certainly be better that the standard dark water they currently serve.

Cosmic Commando

I find it extremely hard to believe that anything Al Lutz would force two major corporation to announce a deal of this magnitude prematurely. Mr. Lutz may have a voice in this rabid Disney fan community, but he is absolutely meaningless in the "real" media. In fact, he's less than meaningless -- he doesn't even exist.

Mr. Lutz's reports reach nobody of consequence. The Disney-Starbucks deal was news in the biggest media outlets in the country. Unless somebody like The Wall Street Journal or The New York Times was on the verge of breaking the story, that release wasn't rushed.
With the way media works now, when a "nobody" like Al Lutz breaks a story, that means that the major media outlets ARE about to break it. Being an internet personality equals credibility. I've seen Al himself quoted in the LA papers regarding Disney stories that he has no direct connection to, other than being an "online Disney guy".

basas

I really don't mind the idea of Starbucks in the parks, so long as they're put in tastefully (which it appears they will be). I also liked getting McDonald's fries in the parks, however. Assuming they handle Starbucks the same way they handled the McDonald's products, I don't see any problem.

R W B

I'm not a fan of them being in the parks themselves at WDW. I'd rather them be at DTD, boardwalk or even the main floor at the contemporary. Just my opinion.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With the way media works now, when a "nobody" like Al Lutz breaks a story, that means that the major media outlets ARE about to break it. Being an internet personality equals credibility. I've seen Al himself quoted in the LA papers regarding Disney stories that he has no direct connection to, other than being an "online Disney guy".

The quotes in la are about beat reporting by the guy covering the region parks. He's been quoted in other papers, but for the most part he has no mainstream media presence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom