Starbucks at MK ....

TRONorail10

This thought crossed my mind the moment they announced "the bucks" would be coming to MK (and the other 3 parks at WDW). Coffee and baked goods so close to eachother on pretty much the same street...

That's an idea I can get behind. Tommorowland terrace/noodle station is seldom used plus I'd like to see a Starbucks themed futuristic (or retro futuristic) rather than turn of the century. It's off of main street, offers views of the parades and castle...makes all the sense to me.

Tomorrowland Terrace was one of the locations scouted for Starbucks. Magic Kingdom integration was probably the most difficult park to deal with because of the strong theming throughout the lands. Tomorrowland Terrace is a logical choice because of it being only a seasonal restaurant, however, during peak times it is an extremely valuable piece to the Magic Kingdom restaurant operations. While most restaurants are all about making a profit, Disney also has to keep in mind guest satisfaction, and with the exception of Be Our Guest, Disney does not want restaurants to have lines out the door and extreme wait times for food. It is bad show and decreases guest satisfaction. TLT takes the burden off of the other quick service restaurants so that they can operate under more controlled conditions. Imagine if you were one of the cast members in those locations and your restaurant had nonstop lines for 12 hours, it puts an extreme burden on the cast and makes working conditions extremely dangerous when you are not stopping or slowing down for hours on end. TLT is also the location that eats up most of those dreaded tour groups. Tour Leaders are given an incentive if they bring their group to TLT away from the other Disney guests so that they have enough seating for their group and the other park guests can have a more pleasant time without Brazilians screaming their heads off and throwing their trash everywhere.

With the addition of Be Our Guest, The Plaza becomes obsolete. There is more profit to be gained from BOG, than Plaza could ever produce. While I don't have the exact dollar amounts, I'm sure Disney has some sort of profit per hour calculation of what Starbucks could produce over Plaza restaurant which would then in turn add to the argument of adding Starbucks in that location. With Disney's effort to create more unique snack offerings in the parks, I am not worried about "competition" between the Bakery and Starbucks, I'm sure Disney has a different vision for each, with the ultimate goal of making money! However, if Disney were to go with the other idea of integrating Starbucks into the bakery, the increased demand may cause logistical issues with the limited space available and Disney may be looking at an extensive reworking of the east side of Main Street.

WDWFigment

After seeing the implementaion at FF&P in DCA, I'm not really worried that these shops will be well-executed. Anyone raising those concerns obviously hasn't seen FF&P...

However, the idea of a Starbucks on Main Street still gives me a bit of pause, as what Starbucks stands for versus what Main Street USA stands for are in diametric opposition to one another. This isn't a big deal for me, and I think corporate sponsorship on Main Street in the past has really precluded this argument from having much impact, but it's still interesting food for thought.

For further information on this topic, I refer you to the always enlightening South Park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park), which presents an episode that is really on point here (seriously). Plus, the episode features the Underpants Gnomes, and who doesn't love them?!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I want a Dunkin' Donuts because I figure the best way to start off a day, even at Disney World, are with donuts. The only thing is that it probably wouldn't be in Magic Kingdom, nor would I want it to. But I wouldn't mind a Starbucks.

I am still rebelling over the loss of EPCOT's donut shop.

Magenta Panther

I'm just gonna come out and say it: as long as it's themed well, I don't mind Starbucks being in the parks. It'll be a hell of a lot better than the Nescafe crap they serve right now.

I'm right there with you. I hope the Writer's Nook in DHS gets Starbucks. I love to take a break there to rest my feet and read a bit. The only thing the place lacked was decent coffee. Starbucks would make a HUGE difference. If it's served within a themed building that's a good fit for its surroundings, then we're talking a major plussing as far as I'm concerned.

Bairstow

I'm just gonna come out and say it: as long as it's themed well, I don't mind Starbucks being in the parks. It'll be a hell of a lot better than the Nescafe crap they serve right now.

Here here.
The only decent coffee I had during my last trip came from the Kona Cafe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom