Starbucks at MK ....

janoimagine

@raven24 Your not alone ... when I am desperate and I need coffee they are my go to ... but I preferr one off coffe shops when I travel ... best ones I have been to are Commonwealth in Birmingham, MI and Stumptown in Portland, OR ... Coffee Slingers in Oklahoma City is pretty good too.

COProgressFan

Reliable enough for me to post ... and ask others what they've heard.
It certainly makes sense, though.

Plaza is small for full serve these days and the location is perfect for a coffee shop.

It seems Fountainview is EPCOT's Starbucks, which makes a lot of sense since it used to be a coffee bar before becoming an ice cream shop.

Worried about Studios, which could be the Writer's Stop, although I've heard that folks at TDO think it's 'too out of the way', which has me worried for Sid's.

Have no clue for DAK, but a guess would be one of the entry shops will get chopped in half and they'll shoehorn it in there. Starbucks wants high profile locales for the $$$ they are ponying up.

I can see how they would want to put this in The Plaza, but why not just take over the bakery? Seems bizarre to have two places serving similar offerings (one with better coffee) just a few steps from each other. But logic was never TDO's strong point.

I love the Plaza, so this saddens me. It's food is quite unremarkable, as another poster pointed out, but it's quaint, the menu is simple, and still has *somewhat* reasonable prices for a Disney park location. While I've never had luck with walk-ups, you can often get a same day or next day reservation there. And even with the new FL stuff, the MK still desperately needs more dining locations (non character, non buffet), even though the Plaza is small.

I also have many great memories from the Plaza, as this is one of the few locations which remains mostly untouched since the MK's glory days. Not sure if she's still there, but a few years ago I know there was one waitress who had been serving there since 1973, and a few others who I know are currently there that have been there at least 10+ years.

Fountainview makes perfect sense, and I also think you're probably right about Sid's. What a shame.

Californian Elitist

@raven24 Your not alone ... when I am desperate and I need coffee they are my go to ... but I preferr one off coffe shops when I travel ... best ones I have been to are Commonwealth in Birmingham, MI and Stumptown in Portland, OR ... Coffee Slingers in Oklahoma City is pretty good too.

Same here. When I'm absolutely desperate and there's no other shop around, I'll choose Starbucks. They're coffee is so strong, and it's never hot. Their hot chocolate tastes like it was made with water instead of milk. Their fraps aren't all that either. I just don't see the hype.

tracyandalex

While I love Starbuck's I'm not sure I like the commercialization of WDW. Does anyone have a pic of the one in DCA? Does it blend in with the surroundings or does it stand out? Also I agree with a previous poster that Fantasyland would probably be a better place due to the extended morning hours some of us will be spending there thanks to the expansion.

NemoRocks78

Seized
I love DCA's Starbucks, and it was well implented there. It has its own bakery products, as well as the usual Disney ones. It acts as DCA's bakery too. So there is no reason why the Starbucks at MK shouldn't take over the Main Street Bakery, especially if they're going to cut a great little table service restaurant while they're at it. I love Plaza - they've got great food at great prices for a theme park, and I'd hate to see it go. If it had to be replaced, though, I would hope it'd be with something more than just a fancier version of what's literally right around the corner. :(

Dopey77

From high level operation management, what they are being told is that Main Street Bakery will be closing its doors for a "unique" refurbishment in January, not the Plaza. During this time, "the Main Street Bakery will be transitioned to offer a new and unique line of exclusive offerings to Magic Kingdom guests" which leads them to believe that that will be the new home to the Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. The freshly baked goods are now going to be offered at Big Top in Storybook Circus & chocolate drizzled croissants at Gastons Tavern..

Mickey_777

I dunno... the Plaza at MK seemed to me the very definition of unremarkable food. It wasn't great; it wasn't bad. I won't miss it. If Starbucks wants to serve their breakfast food like at DCA, seems like big competition for the Main St Bakery? Or is the Bakery so busy that it just doesn't matter?

This thought crossed my mind the moment they announced "the bucks" would be coming to MK (and the other 3 parks at WDW). Coffee and baked goods so close to eachother on pretty much the same street...

Why not put it in where the tomorrowland noodles joint sits?

That's an idea I can get behind. Tommorowland terrace/noodle station is seldom used plus I'd like to see a Starbucks themed futuristic (or retro futuristic) rather than turn of the century. It's off of main street, offers views of the parades and castle...makes all the sense to me.

Mickey_777

Am I the only one who does not like Starbucks? Coffee Bean FTW.

Coffee Bean is pretty good (I've been to the one @ CityWalk Universal Hollywood) but I think their mostly a west coast chain. I'd give 'em business as well if they spread out east a bit more. But if it's espresso drinks you're into like myself, it's hard to beat the Bucks.

Californian Elitist

Coffee Bean is pretty good (I've been to the one @ CityWalk Universal Hollywood) but I think their mostly a west coast chain. I'd give 'em business as well if they spread out east a bit more. But if it's espresso drinks you're into like myself, it's hard to beat the Bucks.

Really? I didn't know that. I'm going to google it and see how many coffee beans are in other states, if there are any at all. Aahh, so that's it. I don't like espressos. I don't like coffee, but if I get a taste for it, I go to Coffee Bean. Their coffee is smooth and hot chocolate is smooth and hot. It gets even better around Christmas. I'll admit I like Starbucks a lot more during Christmas. And I love their breakfast sandwiches and pastries.

hpyhnt 1000

I have no problem with Starbucks coming into the parks, but the LAST thing the MK needs is the loss of another full service restaurant. If they want to be on Main Street, then just remodel the Main Street Bakery to include Starbucks products. Or, as others have said, if they want to be in an area with a lot of seating, you've got an abandoned food service area that could use the attention in the Tomorrowland Terrace - right next to The Plaza Restaurant!

Why they would replace a TABLE SERVICE restaurant (1 of only 5 in the MK, and its really only 1 of 3 given what character dining has done to Crystal Palace and CRT) for a coffee shop is beyond me.

jed012788

From high level operation management, what they are being told is that Main Street Bakery will be closing its doors for a "unique" refurbishment in January, not the Plaza. During this time, "the Main Street Bakery will be transitioned to offer a new and unique line of exclusive offerings to Magic Kingdom guests" which leads them to believe that that will be the new home to the Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. The freshly baked goods are now going to be offered at Big Top in Storybook Circus & chocolate drizzled croissants at Gastons Tavern..
Not to doubt the Spirit on this, but the quoted text above does seem to be the most likely scenario. Why would Disney remove a full-service restaurant for a coffee shop and bakery when the park already has a coffee shop and bakery right next door?

The signs definitely point toward the Main Street Bakery becoming the Starbucks. Does anybody else find it unusual that Gaston's Tavern in Fantasyland is going to serve the gigantic cinnamon rolls the Bakery is famous for? My first thought was that the company needed to find a place for that sort of treat once the Bakery disappears.

hpyhnt 1000

Hopefully this is the case as this is the logical thing to do.

TinkerBell9988

This does seem to be very likely. No wonder why they touted the whole "big buns at Gaston's" thing... :p

Please let the above be the case. I love love love The Plaza Restaurant!

Dopey77

Not to doubt the Spirit on this, but the quoted text above does seem to be the most likely scenario. Why would Disney remove a full-service restaurant for a coffee shop and bakery when the park already has a coffee shop and bakery right next door?

The signs definitely point toward the Main Street Bakery becoming the Starbucks. Does anybody else find it unusual that Gaston's Tavern in Fantasyland is going to serve the gigantic cinnamon rolls the Bakery is famous for? My first thought was that the company needed to find a place for that sort of treat once the Bakery disappears.

Opening team members for Gastons (which will have a soft open tomorrow, 10/11 at 10am if all goes to plan - thus why the planters are there) have been wondering why the cinnamon rolls are being served there as well. The basic goods that are the most profitable will be dispersed among existing establishments (Confectionery, Big Top, Gastons). Exploratory efforts have also moved to increasing the Aunti Gravity's menu in Tomorrowland as well to absorb the lower end of the profit making items.

All this talk about moving the money making items to other locations so the Bakery can offer exclusive offerings really seems to be plausible case for Starbucks. That's what management is thinking.. that's what is being implied

aladdin2007

I hope this is the case because MK can not afford to lose a table service location. Be Our Guest is only full service at dinner anyway, and they still need more table service locations yet, the park needs all it can get. People get turned away at the Plaza as it is because of it being full. Taking away Plaza would be horrible. At the same time however the Plaza could use a ravamp, get rid of those swinging kitchen doors already, people hate sitting next to those, but still love the place as a nice affordable little lunch/dinner spot.

jed012788

Opening team members for Gastons (which will have a soft open tomorrow, 10/11 at 10am if all goes to plan - thus why the planters are there) have been wondering why the cinnamon rolls are being served there as well. The basic goods that are the most profitable will be dispersed among existing establishments (Confectionery, Big Top, Gastons). Exploratory efforts have also moved to increasing the Aunti Gravity's menu in Tomorrowland as well to absorb the lower end of the profit making items.

All this talk about moving the money making items to other locations so the Bakery can offer exclusive offerings really seems to be plausible case for Starbucks. That's what management is thinking.. that's what is being implied
Nothing wrong with that. Auntie Gravity's can use a little more anyway.

awoogala

gross. Bad enough they are selling Starbucks, I don't want main street to look like every street in the country, with Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. Hopefully it won't be an eyesore that screams Starbucks. Luckily, we have reservations at the plaza in January, so at least I'll get to eat there before it goes away. Plus, I hate Starbucks coffee, anyway. :-(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom