Starbucks at MK ....

MissM

I loathe and despise coffee in general BUT, that said, I am a MASSIVE fan of the seasonally available salted caramel hot chocolate at Starbucks. I only drink hot chocolate during the 2-weeks of Winter we have down here in Florida but it would be nice to get one while at Disney. I'm not sure I like the idea of the Bakery itself turning into a Starbucks though. I like that there's so much diversity in offerings; there's always something for everyone there.

Ariel484

Thought I'd throw this in here...in August Disney Food Blog posted pictures of the Starbucks in Disneyland (Steve, if linking to that site isn't okay feel free to delete my post :)). I think it looks pretty good!

However, while I'm looking forward to Starbucks coming to Disney, count me among those disappointed that they are possibly taking the Plaza out (haven't tried that place out yet but was planning to soon). I thought for sure the Starbucks would go into the bakery.

weedles

Thought I'd throw this in here...in August Disney Food Blog posted pictures of the Starbucks in Disneyland (Steve, if linking to that site isn't okay feel free to delete my post :)). I think it looks pretty good!

However, while I'm looking forward to Starbucks coming to Disney, count me among those disappointed that they are possibly taking the Plaza out (haven't tried that place out yet but was planning to soon). I thought for sure the Starbucks would go into the bakery.

Looking at that review honestly it reminds me of Plaza. Obviously it is counter service (while plaza is table service) but the layout is similar as is all the sandwich offerings. And love that its not boldly a Starbucks rather it just blends in. The possibility of duplication of sweets offerings with the bakery doesnt make sense tho.

dreamfinder

The Starbucks in DCA doesn't scream Starbucks. And its in a similar location. Go down Buena Vista Street, and as you turn right towards Soarin' it's tucked in the FF&P Cafe there. It's not called Starbucks, and the Starbucks logo on the wall outside as the old fashioned one that fit in fairly well with the theme. Inside, outside of the items on the menu board, it doesn't scream Starbucks either. No more so than Fountainview screams Edy's/Dryers's. They said from the beginning that the stores were going to fit into the environment they were put in, and not being shoe horned in just for money.

I'd have said to stick it in the Terrace as well, but maybe they want it to be in a enclosed location? And like keeping that open air? Size wise that would do it.

scoobygirl39541

I've been one of the top supporters of having Starbucks in the parks (I LOVE the taste of coffee, the stronger the better!), but never did I think it would replace the Plaza!! We've eaten there every single trip. While the food is just ok, the atmosphere is irreplaceable. While I'm counting down the days until they finally put Starbucks in... I have to draw the line here. In this case, my love for Disney tradition is higher than my need for a good cup of modernized coffee :(

Flight Safety

I'm an avid coffee drinker and can tell you that I'm all for Starbucks at WDW. The current selection is terrible. Nescafē isn't anywhere near decent coffee. However I'm not sure it belongs right on Main Street USA. I suppose since The Plaza isn't exactly on Main Street, rather around the corner of Main Street, it wouldn't be as obtrusive to the overall theme. Still, Im not sure this is the right place. I honestly didn't know they were planning on putting actual Starbucks stores in. I assumed they would simply serve Starbucks coffee. Hopefully if they do decide this is to be the location, it doesn't detract from what Main Street USA is supposed to be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
From high level operation management, what they are being told is that Main Street Bakery will be closing its doors for a "unique" refurbishment in January, not the Plaza. During this time, "the Main Street Bakery will be transitioned to offer a new and unique line of exclusive offerings to Magic Kingdom guests" which leads them to believe that that will be the new home to the Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. The freshly baked goods are now going to be offered at Big Top in Storybook Circus & chocolate drizzled croissants at Gastons Tavern..

Yes, it appears this is the correct info. I was told earlier today that apparently there were some 'issues' between MK management, food and beverage and Starbucks over the location. Bakery was No. 1, Plaza was No. 2 and for a while it looked like it would win out.

But, unless something changes, the bakery will indeed become the MK's first Starbucks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I hope this is the case because MK can not afford to lose a table service location. Be Our Guest is only full service at dinner anyway, and they still need more table service locations yet, the park needs all it can get. People get turned away at the Plaza as it is because of it being full. Taking away Plaza would be horrible. At the same time however the Plaza could use a ravamp, get rid of those swinging kitchen doors already, people hate sitting next to those, but still love the place as a nice affordable little lunch/dinner spot.

Regardless of where Starbucks winds up, there have been significant issues with the Plaza's size and ability to handle crowds in the DDP era. I recall the old days of walking up at 2 p.m., asking for a table for four and being told it will be 15-20 minutes and waiting at one of the ice cream parlor tables. If Be Our Guest doesn't take pressure off the location, I'd expect major changes.

awoogala

ok, If it is that subtle, I can handle it. I have the fear that mk won't be as subtle, but I can hope!

COProgressFan

Regardless of where Starbucks winds up, there have been significant issues with the Plaza's size and ability to handle crowds in the DDP era. I recall the old days of walking up at 2 p.m., asking for a table for four and being told it will be 15-20 minutes and waiting at one of the ice cream parlor tables. If Be Our Guest doesn't take pressure off the location, I'd expect major changes.

Oooh, I have a solution! Why not open enough sit down locations that serve decent food at reasonable prices to accommodate the crowds? .... Nah, too easy, apparently.

TDO would rather have us all eat in Mickey's Giant Magical Mess Hall o' Fun if they could...

MissM

Oh this was very interesting! Thank you for posting. The way this was done looks VERY good; I like that there were both Starbucks and regular Disney Bakery items in the case. I was concerned you would get less selection if it were Starbucks-offerings only, but the way they did it here looks like you wind up with more. If they did something like this very light-touch, very integrated makeover to the Bakery I would consider it a great addition.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
because Starbucks would also serve food as it does at DCA ... and there aren't many locations for one.

I could see the company battling for the Exposition Center/House/Whatever The Hell they call the old Walt Disney Story, but since that's never been food and beverage, it would require massive work. Plaza wouldn't.

That would indeed be disappointing. Guess we can't force them to take Tomorrowland Terrace.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I dont have any info to add to this, but I think your thoughts here are probably right. Fountain View, Sids and Plaza all seem very likely candidates. I have not personally seen the DL version, but I believe I read that the general feeling was that it was well implemented. Hopefully the same will be done at the WDW versions.

Losing Sids would be a great loss. I used to spend an hour in that place every trip pre-kids. I had just assumed it would go in the little shop next to Sci-Fi or around the farmer's market on Sunset.

dreamfinder

Losing Sids would be a great loss. I used to spend an hour in that place every trip pre-kids. I had just assumed it would go in the little shop next to Sci-Fi or around the farmer's market on Sunset.

Honestly, I can't see either Sids or Writers Corner being large enough for Starbucks. I was in FF&P Cafe around 3:00 pm one afternoon when it was like 90 out, and had to wait about 15 mins to be served. That was with all 4 registers running at capacity. Either location would be full of just the counters/CM to work them, never mind any actual line/seating space.

njDizFan

Yes, it appears this is the correct info. I was told earlier today that apparently there were some 'issues' between MK management, food and beverage and Starbucks over the location. Bakery was No. 1, Plaza was No. 2 and for a while it looked like it would win out.

But, unless something changes, the bakery will indeed become the MK's first Starbucks.
This is huge news and rather disapointing. I know quite a few folks (including myself) enjoy a nice leisurely pastry, or confection before starting my MK days. I'm sure Starbucks will offer a nice array of food but minus the pixie dust and a large scoop of corporate soulessness

ScarForKing

If I wanted a stale pastry I could walk across the street from my office right now and go buy one! If I am paying MK prices, then I want a homemade ice cream cookie sandwich, hold the corporate sponsership please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom